Power of the Primes Leader Class Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Kaiwera05, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Be careful with the small head on rodimus. The piece inside the chest takes the paint off the chin.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Any word on a Toyhax kit for this fella yet?

@GoLion - thanks for the heads-up on the chin paint. I'll keep an eye out.
    Honestly, since the stickers were already damaged on the trailer (just from normal transformation) I'm not going to sweat the small stuff with this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhhhh...I wouldn't go that far. I think the Transformers toy franchise, as a whole, is still quite strong. There's still an upcoming hundred-million dollar movie coming out (Bumblebee), which will probably have a large toy presence. There's an upcoming cartoon, Cyberverse. There are still Masterpieces being scheduled and developed. The life pulse of the franchise is quite robust.

However, I confess that I do agree with your tone regarding the situation. I can't remember the last time I bought a wide-release figure. My own collecting has all been Masterpiece and 3rd party for the last ~5 years, and from my point of view, the toy-collectiong has NEVER BEEN BETTER. But, regarding the mainline toys that a teenager should hypothetically be able to afford, I've noticed fewer part counts, smaller figures, more hollow parts, fewer and sloppier paint apps, and rising prices etc, over the years.

I don't post too much about my disappointments because 1) who am I to tell someone else that a figure they like has problems that bother me? I might post once or twice to express my opinion, then I let it go. 2) I don't necessarily need to "boycott," per se, but if I see something that doesn't appeal to me, I quietly don't buy it, I move on. And because I don't buy a figure that doesn't interest me, I don't say anything about it.

That being said, however, I must say that, in looking at photos of the mainline figures from the last ~5 years, I don't see much reason to get into the newer toys. Having never seen PotP Rodimus in person, having never handled one, I can say it looks visually quite exciting. The idea of a small Hot Rod that combines into a large Rodimus Prime in truck mode and robot mode is VERY exciting. However, with all due respect to this figure's visual look, I found that (more or less) Classics Rodimus + FansProject's Protector armor accomplished much of what PotP Rodimus accomplishes, and I didn't need 2 Rodimus figures that do more-or-less similar things. I've had the Classics Hot Rod + Protector set for years, I've had DX9's Carry for years, and I have both versions of MP Rodimus. Even if the quality control and materials on PotP Rodimus were top notch, it's a simple preference thing--I already have enough Rodimus toys, and (based on pictures and this feedback thread) this version doesn't seem to offer me too many new ways to have fun with this character.

The actual reason I'm writing this post, though, is to express my views on a potential "end game." It looks to me that the Transformer series has survived multiple "we're doomed" scenarios. Suppose fans like me continue to not buy the toys, the toys keep cutting costs, and prices keep going up, and suppose the worst possible thing happens and the Transformers series is more-or-less dead except for some licensed Christmas cards and novelty candles that barely keep the brand on life support.

We've kind of been through that! In the early 1990s, I recall a lot of the same complaints about Pretenders and Action Masters, and the Transformer franchise kind of faded away. The only remnant of this franchise was Christmas ornaments, novelty candles, very expensive T-shirts nobody wanted, etc. About 5 years later (not that long a time, really), Beast Wars came around, and the franchise rapidly increased in popularity and toy output. I don't think it ever got as devoid of content again to the degree of the void between G1 and Beast Wars, but other voids include (off the top of my head) a few years after Beast Machines but before Armada, in which the only new American fiction was Car Robots/Robots in Disguise 1.0, which had a toy line mostly re-released redecos of Japanese toys. And, a few years between TF: Cybertron/Galaxy Force and the next big things, which were the Michael Bay movies and TF: Animated.

So, yes, I'm also feeling rather disenfranchised at the moment, but I'm not fearing that this series we love is nearing an end-game. Worst case scenario is we get a ~5 year lull as the franchise is on life support and all we get is the occasional Transformer-themed Halloween costume. Sooner or later, there will probably be a bidding war for creative control of the TF franchise, and there will be some new radical idea that breathes new life into this series. Last time this exact thing happened, the radical new idea was to have Transformers that transform into animals, and I believe that was a rousing success. Transformers has been around for over 30 years, it's resulted in 5 (and counting) hundred-million-dollar movies, and the toys have earned, I dunno, ALL the dollars. It's just too valuable a franchise to let die.

And, even if things are even WORSE than I'm expecting and the franchise truly dies. Well, off the top of my head, other franchises that have COMPLETELY WENT AWAY and came back include Terminator, Tron, Star Trek, He-Man, GI Joe, Blade Runner, Predator, Alien (multiple times!)......the list goes on.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Supreme Unicron

Supreme Unicron Dutch TF fan

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Just to add some positivity... I really like him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's just something about a bad ass Rodimus Prime design that I really like. The gimmick/transformation is a lot of fun. He's big, bulky, has good articulation. Really, I feel the terrible stickers and the weird shoulders are the only negatives.

• Like Like x 16
  5. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your suggestion!As whole design Hot Rode is my favorite, and Rodimus as big dimensions, excluding shoulders remains awesome... do you think that chest problem on the chin is because during transformations some pieces always touch each other, or if we're careful it shouldn't happen?

6. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wish the legs were ratcheted, maybe only mine wasn't? I think it'll be a floppy mess if I keep transforming him

7. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode (Hot Rod): The Power of the Primes Evolution Leaders are all about a smaller robot receiving a power-up that upgrades them into a bigger, more powerful robot. In this case here the smaller robot is Hot Rod, who is pretty much a spitting image for the character we first saw in the 1986 Transformers movie. He is also one of the best Hot Rod / Rodimus figures overall, in my mind, despite the fact that he is designed to be a part of a bigger robot instead of a stand-alone figure.

Hot Rod is about Deluxe-sized and has excellent articulation, though he is missing a rotating waist. He wields two black guns that can combine into a bigger rifle for Rodimus, which Hot Rod can also wield, though. Personally I only give him the front part of the rifle, as the rear half is a bit bulky for this smaller figure, but either way works. Just about the only slight downsides of this figure are the fact that he has a butt flap and that those exhaust pipes on his arms are a tad too big in proportion to the rest of him. Still, an excellent Hot Rod figure. Could easily be sold as a stand-alone Deluxe robot.

Alternate Mode (Hot Rod): True to form Hot Rod transforms into a futuristic red sports car with a big yellow spoiler. Once again the resemblance to the original Hot Rod is very strong and the car looks very sleek. There are no visible robot parts, nothing hinting at a transformation. Sadly the car is missing the raised engine of the G1 figure and there is no place to attach a weapon, but apart from that I have no complaints. A very nice car mode, perfectly capturing the essence of Hot Rod.

Alternate Mode (Rodimus Prime): Taking a page from Fansproject Protector’s book, Hot Rod’s car mode receives an add-on trailer to turn it into the alternate mode of Rodimus Prime, which was a futuristic Winnebago of some sort. The car mode just folds the exhaust pipes forward a bit, the trailer attaches, and you’ve got Rodimus Prime. Personally I always loved this design (even though I was never exactly sure what kind of vehicle it was supposed to be) and this version of it is no different. Okay, there is the slight issue of the visible robot fists on the trailer’s front, plus the fact that the trailer does look a bit puzzled together, but overall it’s still a very nice vehicle mode.

If you remember G1 Rodimus Prime, you might also remember that his trailer could open up into a battle station of sorts. While there is no official battle station mode for this Rodimus Prime here, it is possible to somewhat turn the trailer into an artillery station of sorts. I didn’t include any pictures of it above, seeing as I don’t particularly like it.

Robot Mode (Rodimus Prime): The trailer becomes the lower body, back, and arms, while the Hot Rod robot turns upside down to become the chest and shoulders. A larger head emerges from Hot Rod’s torso and we now have a Leader-sized Rodimus Prime, for the very first time (cue an old Coca Cola jingle playing in my head).

In this bigger mode, too, Rodimus is very nicely articulated, though also missing a twisting waist. You barely notice, though, because he can move with the best of them. This leads us directly to the main point of contention about this figure, though: the neck/shoulder area. Here you basically see the smaller robot’s thighs and moving Rodimus’ arms almost inevitably causes these to rise up a bit. Personally I don’t really mind, but a lot of people don’t like it. There are already “shoulder fillers” available on Shapeways, apparently, or you can unfold the smaller robots arms (see pictures 23 and 24). Personally I alternate between leaving Rodimus as is or using the smaller robot arms, but I certainly won’t invest in extra parts here.

This issue aside Rodimus works great. He could have used open hands, maybe, to properly hold his Matrix of Leadership (where you can remove the crystal and replace it with a Prime Master, if you like), but it works with his closed fists, too. The Matrix can also fit inside his chest, of course, for which you have to basically flip up the entire Hot Rod portion of the robot, though. Nothing to complain about in terms of looks, either, as I adore the Hot Rod / Rodimus look. The new face looks sufficiently ‘older’ when compared to Hot Rod and the angles of the face even suggest a beard, depending on how the light hits.

Bottom line: a very nice Rodimus Prime robot. Maybe not quite as good as the smaller robot, but still: for a figure cobbled together from a smaller robot and a trailer, he’s fabulous!

Remarks: There is a sharp divide among Transformers fans when it comes to Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime. There are some, like me, who really enjoyed his tenure as Autobot leader in the third season of the cartoon and the Marvel UK comics. Unlike the near-perfect Optimus Prime he seemed relatable, fallible, and more fun. Others never forgave him for his role in the death of Optimus Prime during the 1986 Transformers movie and couldn’t stand him from that point forward. Whether you like him or not, though Hot Rod / Rodimus has been a staple of Transformers for a long time now and is currently appearing in Lost Light as the captain of the ship of the same name.

Evolution Leader Rodimus Prime is one of three Leader-class good guy leaders in the Power of the Primes series (Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal being the other two). No bad guy leaders, it seems, though we are getting an evil “Unicronus” versions of Rodimus (resembling Shattered Glass Rodimus or Lemmy from Motörhead, take your pick). Bottom line for this figure: not quite perfect, but definitely very close. It might be a tad biased as I really like the Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime character and was very happy to finally get a Leader-class figure of him, granted. Still, definitely a great toy and easily recommended to everyone who doesn’t hate Hot Rod’s guts for causing Optimus Prime to die (spoiler: he gets better!)

Rating: A-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 9
  8. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Got him on sale and opened him up last night. Man, I am on the fence w/ this tone. Definitely don't care for the super combined mode, as it makes him too-tall for the rest of my current collection. I agree with others in that I get a strong vibe of Rodimus from the Hot Rod bot mode, and will most likely use him that way. I like that he's a little taller than TR Hot Rod and about the same size as a custom Rodimus I've been using for awhile. Wish he was a little bit bigger though... voyager size would be perfect. I looked at a KO MP-28 but felt MP-28 was a bit too lanky to be Rodimus.

Here's a pic of all the Rodimi I currenty own, I think. Plus a few others for size comparison.
    Rodimii.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    So, what's the overall rating on this boi? Some say it's the best thing going for the line, some say it's trash. I'd like to know so I can get him (or not) before he leaves the shelf.

10. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Best way to describe it is "a mixed bag". Poseability is kinda limited in both modes, but he looks pretty damn good. Both vehicles are pretty nice as well. I'd say he's nice, but that's my opinion.

11. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Since I've done a quick review of Optimus, it feels rude not to crank one out for his successor.

Had the figure for almost a week, and have to say, it doesn't deserve anywhere near the level of flak it's been getting in places. In fact, I really enjoy promoting/demoting Hot Rod between modes; it just walks that fine-line of representing either character well, without feeling like one mode got too much more attention than the other in the design phase.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but we-do-Rod-Rod-Rod, we-do-Rod-Rod here feels like a throwback to the AEC days in hand. Maybe it's the chunky, boxy proportions, or the quirky articulation in places?....Can't say for sure, but I like that bit of nostalgia for a simpler time, when we complained about obtrusive gimmicks and enjoyed the homages in things like Armada Wheeljack and Energon Starscream.

But ok, the stickers on his trailer hinges warrant a cheeky raised eyebrow, but otherwise, the foil-fetish doesn't look nearly as bad as some photos would have you believe. Likewise, the ever hated shoulders aren't a particular problem in person....you just have to learn how to handle the joints, like a giant, robot-serving masseuse.

In all, I'd say if you're thinking about picking this one, or his Rod-ger Deaderer repaint up, just go for it. The leaders in PoTP scream of being the type of figures that'll get more appreciated as time goes on...and the prices are bound to reflect any demand.

12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think it'll matter, honestly. I've tried not to let it happen, and each time the scratch has gotten a little worse. What I ended up doing is just taking the small head off when I put it in the larger mode or car/winni mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThrustJan

Thanks very much for your reply!Sorry, If I've understood well, you mean that you can remove Hot Rod head from body just as an Headmaster?

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    No no. You need a small screwdriver to remove the smaller head.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I've noticed any damage to the paint on his chin, and I've transformed him a ton. There shouldn't be any point in the transformation where it forcefully scrapes on anything. It gets pushed right up against the underside of the hood in car/torso mode but it shouldn't be moving any to cause paint damage.

16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Can you take a picture of the head? I think you go a better paint application than me.

17. ThrustJan

Thanks again!! I've thought that for some strange design, joint of head was as a"ball joint"or something similar to Headmasters,and both would render this operation very easy.

18. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

Ripped off the stickers and trimmed a bunch of tabs and plastic, but now I like him. The main changes I needed to do was cut off the tabs on baby Rod's knees because they would not tab in to his calves for Rodimus mode, and trimmed a ton of plastic on the bulk of the trailer so the Rodimus arm chunk could slide in smoothly instead of being a struggle.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This might be straying off subject a bit but I generally have a positive outlook, and I think that puts me in the minority. For one thing, while I'm not crazy about the POTP deluxes or voyagers, I do actually like the leaders so far. They aren't perfect, so if the flaws bother you a lot I can't argue that, but I'm good with them so far. As an adult collector here on the boards since 2006, there have always been ups and downs, and while there is cost cutting, we are still getting incredible designs that are keeping at least some standard for articulation. I think I would rather have great designs and articulation over thicker plastic. Both would be ideal, but in the United States, there really isn't any other toy line out there like Transformers featuring more unique molds and WAY more part counts than anything else out there. I am not justifying EVERY cost cutting measure, but I'm not all doom and gloom about it. Also, there are a ton of third party companies that are making higher end figures to satisfy that itch, despite some board members choosing to put their fingers in their ears and go "la la la I'm not listening to you stop talking about them" as soon as you bring them up.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chcuky

Chcuky Member

20180411_004526[1].jpg

A great figure indeed.. this is what it looks like with the back removed from peg and then reattached to the peg as it is intended...

• Like Like x 2