Power of the Primes Leader Class Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Kaiwera05, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, I am a bit surprised finally messing with this guy. In hand, his bulk is very fitting. I hardly notice the backpack. Aesthetically, he really looks nice, but the shoulder/legs are a little odd looking. They are stable for posing though if you lock his torso in properly (I have seen online videos where they are certainly not). The main thing that bugs me now is actually just his shoulders getting blocked by his spoiler for certain poses. I can't deny his other faults, because they are there, but they aren't really bothering my fun with him. He's generally a fun, nice looking figure, and the best official Rodimus Prime IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me the color difference isn't nearly as offputting as say AOE bumblebee. Rodiumus is a really fun ass toy. Hot rod is pretty wonky but in a very G1 way. Wont quite replace TR hot rod like I thought he would. Wondering if I would enjoy optimus this much now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

Probably more

4. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

My stickers suck thinking about removing- does any one have pics with the winebago large stickers peeled off?

5. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right. Optimus is great despite the shitty truck mode

6. Joeyz1231

Joeyz1231 Randomly shows up

Can someone who is more experienced in modding / disassembling Transformers hear me out? Try switching between Hot Rod's left & right knee parts (left knee on right leg & vice versa). If I'm thinking this correctly, that should allow Rodimus' shoulders to be able to swing out pretty far, but Hot Rod would be unable to straighten out his shins (either 90° or folds up to his hips). My main problem is that there's 2 metal capped pins on the red shin part that's preventing me from disassembling said part. I don't have a soldering iron nor neodymium magnets to pull them out so HELP pls I think I'm onto something here

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Is this the clip that clips Hot Rod's leg together under the spoiler?

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yep. If you don’t roll them out, and pull them out instead, it’ll stress the hell out of that entire plate piece.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    OH that! Ok, easiest way for me was to swivel them sideways to unlatch the clip. I can see how the clip tabs could be stressed otherwise.

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Cross posting this here since it applies(I have Rodimus Unicronus which is the same barring the combined head and colors):

The first time I transformed this back and forth, it was in the dark because reasons.

Anyways today I had some time so I transformed it in a lit room. I got more of a feel for it this time around. I noticed 2 stress marks on the tabs on the forearms but I'm not worried, here's why.

In Winnebago mode, the forearms are flush against the front. If you merely try to pop them apart to the side, you will stress their tabs. What I discovered today is that they have a locking and unlocking mechanism. When attaching to the Winnebago, you press them towards the Winnebago and they lock into place. They UNLOCK by pulling forward. ONCE that is done, you can then angle each forearm piece outwards and they will pop out easily.

For Hot Rod car mode, the lower legs unlatch by rotating them outward away from the latch in the middle that they clip onto.

Trailer can be made in some sort of gun platform that doesn't look half assed. Overall I think this figure is fun. The combined shoulders are an eyesore in dynamic poses. Otherwise, good toy with not so clear instructions. Best I can say is feel your way around, it won't come off as fragile once you know which areas need to be unlocked before other motions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    That's a good way to look at it
    The combined mode arms in Winnebago mode are designed to lock into the rest of the winnebago. You slide them onto the Winnebago at an angle then when pressed together, push both arms towards the Winnebago to lock/click into place. To remove/unlock, you slide the arms forward and you'll feel it unlock/click, then you swivel each combined forearm outwards to remove. I do not know of this is in the instructions(doesn't help that the paper is grey with no worded instructions), I literally felt my way through it, it's not very intuitive at 1st.

For the tabs connecting to Hot Rod's leg under the spoilers, you have to swivel the lower legs outward to unlatch the tabs that secure them.

12. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

Very good toy I plan to buy him together with Potp Optimus within end of March... have you noticed if in leader bot mode knees are strong?Iìll buy him anyway,just curiosity, in worst case I'll make his back rest on wall behind my shelf.

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I have Rodimus Unicronus and the knees aren't very loose yet not really strong either. Others have said the same for Rodimus Prime. Might be best to lean it against the wall to be safe. Also because the knees enable the figure to lean forward(the knee bend is forwards AND backwards, not just backwards).

• Like Like x 1
  14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

The one thing I really REALLY hate about this whole set and prevent me from getting it is hot rod face...it looks more like rodimus rather than the more young and friendly hot rod....the head/face is an important part in any figure...)=

15. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well have you seen the base mode for me the hot rod is rodimus with base the super mode is bonus

16. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Posted this in the 3rd party wish list thread and I thought i'd post it here, hoping a 3rd Party sees it. Slim chance but who knows.

17. illithid

illithid Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly the reason why I bought PotP Rodimus in the first place. The smaller "Hot Rod" is the Rodimus Prime for my collection, while the rest of the trailer acts as some sort of Power Armor for him instead of turning into a battle platform (there's also a fanmode battle platform for it if you still need it). The way he detaches from the rest of the trailer sorta mimics his G1 toy so it makes even more sense for me to treat him as such.

18. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Legends hot rod is my hot rod and this is how I view potp too. Rodimus and super rodimus

19. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Just one more datapoint-

I've had this guy for about two months now... Initial impressions were better than what I had anticipated based on the early feedback and I found myself enjoying the figure enough. Perhaps this was the benefit of low expectations?

After having this hunk of plastic in my life for a while, I'm finding that there's something deeply "cheaty" about this whole design that bugs me. It's almost like it does the bare minimum and skates by on the merits of the original Floro Dery design elements and color scheme.

The cost cutting on this figure is utterly shameless. Where a previous toy like would give us a pin, this figure features a clip. Where previous toy lines would have vac metal or some really nice paint, we get bare plastic.

I have no intent of selling the figure. I'm glad I have it....and certainly don't hate it. It does make me sad to think that this is where we are with TFs especially for ~$50USD. This feels like the end-game, guys.

20. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm glad I only paid $39 CDN for mine. I think if I had shelled out full price, I would have felt disappointed.

I've had Rodimus for about a week now and have warmed up to it. Having said that, I'm just not comfortable with how the plastic feels. It didn't help that during the first few minutes of handling the figure that I snapped off the catch that holds one of the covers for the super mode fists. That wasn't with a whole lot of effort, either. I just look at all the other tab points (not to mention those clips for the arms) and can't help but worry how the future will play out here.

Materials aside, though, I find it is a fun figure (kudos to you folk who have come up with alternate transformations and other such things - this has helped a lot!). Hot Rod (who I'm treating as Rodimus Prime in a "regular" size) is pretty decent. Colours are good and he's decently poseable. Being able to fudge the trailer into a battle station is great. too. Vehicle mode is fine, though I haven't quite got everything to tab together at each attempt, but it's been close.

Super mode is fine, using the smaller figures' arms to help hide the wonky shoulders. The knees on mine are prone to flopping around like everyone else's. I really should get a bottle of Future someday. But it's fine otherwise, and the colours pop while standing on my desk, and that counts for an awful lot with me.

In the end, I'm just not sure if this is a case of just some unfortunate material choices, or a sign that the budget was stretched to the absolute limit to pull off everything that the toy does. I just can't help but feel it was a tad too ambitious, but I'm glad that this toy exists.