Power of the Primes Leader Class Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Kaiwera05, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta chime in on the kid tip. My 10 year old could do it when he was 8 but he had been playing with my TF collection since he could walk...but I agree..a regular 8 year old that isnt THAT experienced with TFs would have a hell of a time.

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Dozens and dozens of times, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what would even be stressing for you. The only thing that comes to mind is you might not be rolling the legs in and out of Hotrod's vehicle mode.

3. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

To be fair, quality control can vary so much on these figures, as I've seen. Sometimes everyone says a figure is utterly perfect, and mine has problems, sometimes the opposite. All it takes is a bit of mold flash, a sligthtly crooked pin, etc., to cause an issue for one figure but not another.

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    That's fair. There was some mold flashing I removed when I got the figure, so that might be the entire reason why mine doesn't seem to have any problems.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * 'Hot Rod' robot and car mode are quite pretty and G1-feeling, and 'Rodimus Prime' works pretty well as a conceptual 'Powermaster trailer armor' sort of thing. (not bad for those post-G1-cartoon head-canon trips. ;)  )
    * Thankfully, the chest flames are painted on and not done with stickers. With the primary exception of the trailer-side flames, the stickers are mostly unobtrusive, and the toy looks fine if you keep them on or remove them.
    * Each mode is quite solid when put together properly, and all joints on mine are adequately tight.
    * Decent potential for fan-modes, in robot forms or trailer-base parts.
    * Avoids much of the hollowness that annoyed me with Optimus/Orion.

Cons:
    * There are articulation issues and shortfalls, with Hot Rod's backpack getting in the way of both arms and legs, and Rodimus Prime having kinda wonky shoulders. (seems like it could have been possible to do things a bit better there.)
    * Transforming is not particularly difficult or frustrating, but does require a certain amount of care, memorization, and/or foreknowledge to handle things at the right angles to avoid potential damage. Even so, those clips to attach the large forearms worry me a bit.
    * Those trailer-side flame stickers are pretty terrible, easily wrinkled, and all but guaranteed to be damaged during transformations.

Nitpicks:
    * The empty box of trailer chunks on Rodimus Prime's back is kinda unsightly.
    * Vehicle modes are a bit awkward and chunkly. The Hot Rod car feels a smidge boxy and un-sleek, and I wish it had some engine detail on the hood (probably a concession to other modes.)
    * This is more a common 'Hot Rod' complaint than about this toy specifically, but I dislike the apron-like cover in front of the pelvis that looks terrible when it flips up to get out of the way of the legs.
    * I might've liked for the smaller Hot Rod vehicle mode to have a peg hole or two to mount the guns.

Overall:
    This is one of those toys that definitely "looks the part" of a good G1 Rodimus toy (especially the smaller 'Hot Rod' forms), but one with serious issues and flaws, and your own enjoyment depends heavily on how deal-breakery those flaws are. I enjoy the toy quite a bit myself (perhaps slightly more than Optimus, largely because there's an assload of choice already for Op toys), but I can clearly see the reasons why someone else might outright hate it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Awesome, this inspired me to try a few variations as well! I stuck with this one:
    Rodimus.png
    This way the chest remains intact. And the "upper-leg shoulders" are completely obscured. You have to rotate those weird shoulders according to the angle of the arms to make it look good though. And then rotate the large arms back down.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I've yet to open my figure due to time and unexpectedly picking up legends wave 2 but I'm hoping mine won't have any major issues

Anyway my head canon for this guy is that the "hot rod" is normal rodimus prime and when he adds his trailer( built by brainstorm) he becomes super rodimus to fight and take down getaway.

But he comes across Unicron and is turned by the dead matrix to become rodimus unicronus.

8. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I knocked the two pens out that hold the backpack flaps. One came out fairly easy, the other took a bit more finesse. Overall, without the back-butt-pack plus a similar chest fan-mode, I think this is the best toy hot rod we have gotten at mass retail. I like tr hot rod, but the potp hot rod mode looks fantastic as rodimus prime. I use the leader mode as sort of a powermaster rodimus. I just love this toy so much. I can't wait to find optimus.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    B+ sounds about right.

potprod2.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Very fair and accurate review!

The backpack I can forgive but the shoulders in Rodimus bot mode are hard to swallow. They don't necessarily ruin the figure for me but they certainly put in on the wrong side of awesome....
    I echo your worry over the arm clips, they don't feel good going on or coming off. Once in place they seem quite secure though.

Hes a good looking Rodimus but an average at best figure.....

11. Galva12

Galva12 Galvatron's "YES" Men

Back in 1986 when I was 10, I remember sitting in math class wanting a Rodimus Prime and always wondered if the cab part would be an acceptable Hot Rod. Ten years later I finally snaged him and for the time I thought it was the best, but now I got my PotP Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, this is what my 10 year old self was dreaming of! He's iffy in some places like cheap stickers, his spoiler and funky tabs, but the Rodimus mode is the best we could ever hope for from hasbro. So much more sturdy than I thought it would be, I'm happy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More and more, I'm viewing this toy largely as a very nice (if somewhat problematically articulated) Hot Rod/Rodimus toy, with a very big 'power-up' trailer accessory that only gets used from time to time, and IMO it does very well in that light.

By comparison, POTP Optimus is a large Optimus Prime toy with a chunk that pops off and turns into an "okay" Orion Pax.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I feel like this toy is more toy than action figure. That said, I'm a slutty Rodimus/Hot Rod fanboy and this doesn't so much scratch but caress an itch the TR figure just didn't quite reach. I practically want it for the gimmick and alt mode alone. It's clearly more about being a "super robot" than being a normal Rodimus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barachiel

Barachiel Throttlebot

Ebay:
    I've made peace with the flaws, for the most part. My only issue with the vehicle mode is that I can't get the 4 tab points connecting the trailer-pipes to all line up together. I can get 2 on one side easily, a third with some bending, but any attempt to get the fourth makes it all pop apart. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and have just accepted that I can only get 2-3 tabs pegged properly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don’t have any stress marks on mine, but I knew about rolling the legs out of that clip before I even bought him. He’s holding up great, and I love him.

I don’t see how people can say this isn’t engineered for kids, if little kids back in G1 could assemble a G1 Devastator or Omega Supreme, modern kids can absolutely transform this relatively simple thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah i agree. i to this day still hate messing with my g1 devastator for fear of it falling apart. lol

17. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I was hoping to open up rodimus this weekend but it looks like I won't be able to.

Family commitments usual bs getting in the way of my tf time ;) :( :p 

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Saw this guy in person but passed because of the CAD retail price. But man, he's bigger than I thought, and looks pretty good. Hopefully I can find it on sale one day.

19. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

Looks like there's autobot symbols on the backs of Rodimus' thighs.. or am I just seeing things?o_O 

20. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wish they would release just hot rod in another wave. i would like a full rodimus and just a hot rod to display separately.

• Like Like x 2