Power of the Primes Dinobot Swoop

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gallade, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Gallade

Gallade wee wee

News Credits:
    He's not a two headed pterosaur...
    He's not named after a Technobot...
    He is... DINOBOT SWOOP!!! This is the first time I've actually gotten a figure before release date. Amazing right? Anyways, I don't see any other Power of the Prime deluxes being reviewed nor this guy's. But here is my second review. First up, packaging.
    Photo_talks_1510454568107.jpg Yes, that is my thumb on the right and this is the only picture of the figure in package. I already opened it as soon as I got home, so I completely forgot and I apologize. Anyways, the packaging is technically the same packaging we've gotten with these Generation figures. Nothing THAT new, however, packaging looks... smaller for some reason. I don't know. The Titans Returns boxes seemed a little bigger to me. Either my eyes are wrong or the packaging is smaller than the Titans Return. Hm...
    Photo_talks_1510466139555.jpg Haha, good thing I didn't throw it away! Sorry for the bad lighting though. Anyways, here's the back and the only thing advertised are the Prime cores. And we're back with an even MORE simpler description. "How will the fearsome Dinobot bombardier wield the POWER OF THE PRIMES?" He won't, hah(yes, I am fully aware of my horrible humor). Anyways, description is okay and it's probably better than the Titan Masters/Legion bios(never checked them). Apparently, it shows the hand actually tabbing onto Swoop's chest, which I will do later.
    Photo_talks_1510466538681.jpg Photo_talks_1510466575984.jpg Here is the card. I kinda wish for tech specs, to be honest. I really prefer having those on the back. Anyways, the artwork is, of course, beautiful. The back says he's apparently supposed to pair up with Vector Prime and his... Pretender shell(I can't remember the name, sorry). And now without further ado, onto the figure itself. Photo_talks_1510467407882.jpg Here he is in pterodactyl form and I absolutely love this thing. The clear dino head kinda turns me off though. I much prefer it not to be clear but HEY, I enjoy it so far. It would be better if I had a stand so it could actually look as if he's flying. In this mode, you can flap his wings. Goes up one click, but can down all the way. The outer parts of the wing only move forward and back. He's got eight titan master ports. Four on the top of the pterosaur and two on each wing. Don't believe me? Ask Chasm and Duros. Photo_talks_1510467881520.jpg Yes, they're pegged on. Don't worry about them falling off. And now, to robot mode.
    Photo_talks_1510468143806.jpg And better than ever, Swoop. He's honestly really awesome in robot mode. He's got some tiny arms though, but I don't care and I don't think I will for the other Dinobot deluxes nor the Terrorcon deluxes either, except maybe Sludge. Anyways, Swoop comes with a sword and honestly, it doesn't look bad. I like it, but I wish ALL of the Dinobots came with swords. It seems only him and Snarl will be the only Dinobots to wield swords though(Third party, please). Swoop can turn his head, but not 360º so it's a little limited. Arms can do a full 360º, but the wings hinder it from doing so. He has a bicep swivel and 90º of bend at the elbow. His waist cannot turn UNLESS you move the pterodactyl head out. Otherwise, his waist is stuck which sucks honestly. His legs can move forward and back all the way. He's got a thigh swivel and over 90º of knee bend. He can also move his foot up and down and that's it. Also, you can pose his wings, but they only go back one click sadly. And for size comparison... well.. Photo_talks_1510465484639.jpg I guess. Anyways, that's going to wrap up my review. I honestly recommend getting him. Though he and the others aren't in the Voyager scale like Grimlock, I think they're still worth getting. Also, I'll do limb modes once I get Grimlock(depending if I get him first). To everyone hunting for PoTP, I wish you all the best of luck. Happy hunting!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 36
  2. Gallade

Gallade wee wee

News Credits:
    Oh, forgot to mention. The combiner hand can do this: Photo_talks_1510469261807.jpg There's two tabs on the on each thumb, and there's two holes around the pterodactyl head. You just close the thumbs on each sides of the head and this is the result. Also, it holds pretty securely so that thing isn't going anywhere.

• Like Like x 17
  3. Liminality

Liminality Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wooo awesome! Thanks to you I’m super excited for PotP now!
    Time to go bug my usual shop about preorders...

• Like Like x 1
  4. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (great review, ta! you could use a line break after each photo! The trailing text after them looks odd!)

The clear piece on the Hand Chest Armour:

Is it a solid block or just a thin piece? Does it remove or fold away? How easy is it to get Titanmasters into and out of the cavity?

I'm assuming that isn't Swoop's gun he's holding!

• Like Like x 3
  5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. JomasterII

JomasterII Nobody interesting

News Credits:
    He's back, baby.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gallade

Gallade wee wee

News Credits:
    Actually, I'm not even sure what the clear piece is supposed to be. It actually does not seem it would be a handgun, but more of to cover up the space that's on the hand. So like if I chose not to pick up the Prime cores, this clear piece would substitute in, I guess. Really doesn't seem like a weapon.

And yes, it is not Swoop's gun. I gave him Fireflight's since he can't hold it and because in the Earth Wars game, it looks like Swoop uses this type of gun.
    I'm really not sure what's on Snarl, but I believe it's a tease for something else, though I'm not sure.

8. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

Thanks for the review! Looking forward to getting the figure.

Any chance to see a limb mode picture?

• Like Like x 1
  9. scottywan82

scottywan82 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So cool! Cannot wait to see more!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gallade

Gallade wee wee

News Credits:
    Well, since I'm bored, here: Photo_talks_1510475546237.jpg Photo_talks_1510476007587.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  11. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This still looks awful to me. Combiner hand usage in bot and alt mode seems like an intractable problem design wise to me. To get the hand/foot big enough for a Combiner it is too big to do anything decent with in other modes. Oh well, will probs just put them aside like I do with my combinera right now.

Swoop as a general rule looks great though. Glad to hear this get a good review as he’s one of my fave characters. Am probably going to double dip on this, then hope a red exclusive comes out as well.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JomasterII

JomasterII Nobody interesting

News Credits:
    He doesn't look too bad as an arm. The wings give it a sort of shoulder pauldron look. The leg mode...
    Hm. It speaks for its self, doesn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A question about the detailing - I actually like the look of Swoop, but I'm wondering how much he relies on stickers? I'm trying to get a better idea of Hasbro's approach to Power of the Primes.

14. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

Can a gun tab into his forearms? I cant tell if that peg allows it. Would that allow a third party to make bombs that would work in pterodactyl mode?

• Like Like x 2
  15. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Thanks for the awesome review @Gallade

Very happy that the first PotP review is one of my absolute favorite Dinobots.

I'm also very happy that the standard release of Swoop has the blue chest.

16. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I don't care if the Dinobots are deluxes, hell we fans have been waiting a long ass time for some official Dinobots and if they combine I'm cool with that, too. Good review, dude.

• Like Like x 4
  17. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good review.

Dinobots still look weak to me. I have zero interest in a dinobot combiner..soo.. Some look decent, some look downright bad..like make the movie worst dinobots look decent. I guess ill have to see them in hand. Grimlock looked the worst for me. Swoop looked the best in initial pics, and looks good here.

we were getting spoiled with feet and ankle tilt. Looks to me like most of the dinobots got shafted on cool feet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review and pics! :D 

Swoop looks pretty good and I will definitely be picking him and Slag...oops Slug...up as soon as I see them. I too wish they were a bit bigger in scale but as long as we have waited for Classics Dinobots (that are not named Grimlock and are not AoE repaints), I will gladly take these over nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gallade

Gallade wee wee

News Credits:
    Ehh... I think it's alright, but going from the Earth Wars game and from Beast Within(I think), I'm leaving him as an arm.
    Actually, I don't think he has stickers at all. These actually look tampographed on. Well, maybe they are, but I don't wanna risk taking it out. He's only got stickers/tampographs on the chest area.
    Yeah, those are indeed pegs on arms. However in pterodactyl mode, the pegs face upward, where the legs actually cover the pegs so I don't think you'll be attaching anything. But, the sword can tab under the pterodactyl's mouth and that's about it.
    Neither can I, but Swoop is kind of an exception for me. I've always seen him as an agile kind of Dinobot.
    Honestly, I thought Sludge was the absolute worst for me. His head just seems out of place. Like his chin fully extends down to his chest. However, on display it shows him with a better looking head, so I'm confused as to which one he'll be released with. But yeah, definitely Grimlock doesn't look too good either.