Power Of The Primes Dinobot Combiner Volcanicus Prototype In-Hand Pictures

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

As I'm sure it was already mentioned in the many threads....i just hope the individual figures aren't compromised SO MUCH that they can't shine on their own for those who do not want to combine them.

With CW, I found myself losing interest in them as individuals quite fast.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Cool then. At least they give you a use for the extras.

3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Album

News Credits:
    Making Sludge an arm in the "official" configuration would have mitigated that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

I'm actually encouraged. With a more unified color scheme, I think he rocks.

When I first saw this:

[​IMG]

I had every intention of passing on these because the color scheme is WAY too busy. But with it being monochrome here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see all of the detail and sculpt. Although I agree with some of the others, either Swoop needs to be an arm or Snarl. As it's combined here, the balance is thrown off. I like top heavy so assuming it's scramble style and we can switch by preference, I'll likely put the two smallest for legs.

Other than that, I just wish the bigger dinos like Grimlock were Leader class but I imagine that would throw the combining part off.

But I'm getting these. I've never owned ALL of the Dinobots together as one set and this is a nice affordable way to (finally) get one.

5. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    @Shepard Prime: pretty sure they'll scramble. From the looks of it, every deluxe and voyager will have combiner ports, and since some toys appear to be heavy retools of CW ones, I'm sure anyone can be an arm or a leg. They confirmed cross-compatibility with CW molds...and hell, with three of the classic Fembots confirmed for the line, maybe we'll get a crazy Fembot combiner (Elita-1, Moonracer, Firestar...maybe Arcee and Chromia?) or a Seeker combiner. I have to imagine part of the ugliness is the poorly transformed upper body - it doesn't look properly locked into place. It will look better in color.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

Why doesn't Hasbro make a kit to fix the combiner mode? I think a lot of us would pay the extra money, to have a solid combiner.
    I probably would - then use them as my Legends Dinobots. :)  But you bring up a good point: why the F*CK are these not VOYAGER scale? :mad  Or really, they should be Leader scale, when you think about it.

I suppose it could be worse, though: Prime Abominus. :eek: 

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I'm buying them regardless and not combining them.

I would've liked these figures more if they didn't have to focus some of the engineering and parts on making a bad looking combined mode.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

For not much more, you can get the excellent DX9 War in the Pocket (Legends scale) Dinobots. I mean, you figure the Hasbro deluxes can cost as high as $20, given the e-tailer mark-ups and possible scarcity at local retail. Grimlock adds another $30. So you've got $110 for the original 5. The DX9's go for about $36 each, or $180 total. Not too far off. It really depends on whether or not you think better G1 accuracy is worth the extra $70... cause I bet the scales are pretty similar.

9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Album

News Credits:
    The number of people in the overall market who would buy it wouldn't justify the manufacturing costs for Hasbro.

Perfect Effect will pick up the slack if there's enough demand from the *collector* marker.

Honestly PE doing a Slapper or Paddles to fill out the back and reinforce the legs seems very possible. It looks like the back has places that could be adapted into connection points.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnnoyedRobot

AnnoyedRobot Talks about robots, useless at everything else.

We don't talk about that one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AnnoyedRobot

AnnoyedRobot Talks about robots, useless at everything else.

I hope they're not going to call his combiner "Megascream."

12. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    I give Hasbro credit for making feet that tilt and hands that don't look like giant Hulk Hands. If the stock combiner parts are passable, that's preferable to dropping another $130 total on PE parts.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

In all likelihood, they went for something more trademarkable. Extinction leaves them open to another Bumblebee situation. Though there had to have been a better, more Dinobot specific name for the combiner than Volcanicus. Thankfully, he's not in any of the TFs media (comics or cartoons) so I'm free to name him what I want. :D 

When he's actually introduced, say into the IDW comics for instance so the name is canon, then I'll go ahead and call him by Volcanicus.

Until then, he's Megasaurus. Or Megasaurus Lynx if I can get ahold of a CW Sky Lynx...because CW Sky Lynx with four Dinos would look swwwwwwweeeeeeeet! (Y'all didn't even know you wanted it before now!)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool idea, but poorly executed:( 

15. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    I like it. I will buy all 5 dinos, and probably leave them combined like my CW stuff. The arms are just not attached well on the prototype. It will hold together better on the final product.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Practitioner of Bool

I actually like this quite a bit (ay, what is this, the Unpopular Opinions Thread?) The only things that really irk me are Sludge's head sticking directly out of the knee and the inexplicable T-Rex arms dangling off the back. The torso looks unmistakably similar to the last time Grimlock was a torso (in Universe/Energon), and I really like that. Grimlock himself appears to be one of the best looking CW-type torso figures on his own, so even if this combined form is as unstable as the model shows, I'm 100% purchasing him, at least. Slash also looks brilliant. Does she turn into a weapon for Volcanicus like Powerglide did for Superion? I might like him more then.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    Most of us would like Sludge to at least be a Voyager and maybe Grimlock a leader, but if this is how they had to compromise to give us new Dinobots, I'll take it. Besides, I'm certain some of the Dinobots are going to be retooled into Terrorcons (Swoop will probably be heavily retooled into Cutthroat). Better than not having them at all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Johntimus Prime

News Credits:
    It's possible Slash (who's actually a she!) will be a weapon or armor piece like in CW. Also makes me think they'll do one of the Seacons as a Legends toy that becomes a Targetmaster for Piranacon.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Practitioner of Bool

That Seacon idea seems awfully likely. Maybe it'll be a box set like Computron and have the Legends toy be like Scrounge was.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like quite a bit of fun.

I always kinda thought the idea of a combining dinobot team was neat. Not my first priority by any means, and I'll probably only use it once to take some photos lol. But still, it's play value, and let's not forget, the age target for Generations - while targeted at collectors - is 8+ Which, while it includes a lot of us adult types, is by no means meant specifically or exclusively for us.

And for my money, the dinos aren't compromised one iota by this. They look awesome to me. Any slight arguable compromise is more than worth it to me just to HAVE the full Dinobot team (and then some) finally in CHUG form. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 1