PotP Slug, Sludge, and Rippersnapper peghole issue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WereDragon EX, Nov 9, 2018.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Just checked and yeah, my foot pegs are a bit loose too.

If I rmemerem, the feet for Computron had a similar issue. At least it seemed like they stretched out Lightsteed.

2. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

My Rippersnapper's port broke about the fifth time I inserted the hand he came with into it. It still holds fine though, so I don't worry too much. Should probably buy a second one just in case though...

3. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

The issue is more about the figures mentioned in the thread title having combiner pegholes made from thin plastic that'll crack from the act of inserting a combiner hand or foot into it (mainly the feet) or by manipulating said combiner hand or foot while it is plugged into that peg.

Lightsteed doesn't actually have this issue. The problem you describe is more that his car body tends to split apart when you use Computron's ankle tilt. That issue is more because the pegs that hold his car mode together don't have much friction or grip. You can rectify this to a degree by coating the pegs with Future and then leaving him in car mode until the Future dries. But to my knowledge, Lightsteed doesn't have combiner pegholes that'll crack if you use them.

Well, that sucks to hear about. Especially since Rippersnapper is officially an arm for Abominus. I don't think you were using any excessive force? I suppose it's just due to the really thin plastic of the peghole then.

4. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

No, I wasn't using excessive force. It just seems like the plastic is really thin..

5. WereDragon EX

Looking at the Slug figures that my friends and I have, I noticed something interesting about the date codes stamped into the legs of those figures (the one with the peghole for the combiner foot). Figures with the code "73041" were very susceptible to breakage on the peghole. In fact, the samples I've seen for such figures broke very quickly when the ankle tilt was used while the combiner foot was plugged into the peghole. Figures I've seen with codes "81291" and "81711" (and thus were produced much later) did not seem to really have this issue. For figures I've seen with those codes, the pegholes seemed to hold up pretty well even though the combiner foot was inserted and the ankle tilt used several times in various directions. Might there have been some sort of running change where the peghole's plastic was strengthened? It could help if people could post the date codes that can be found on the legs of their figures, whether the peghole broke or not, to help confirm/dispute this hypothesis.

Haven't done anything as deeply comparable with Sludge yet, though figures with the date code "82461" (found on the same place as the Slug figure) seem to have pegholes that hold up quite well to manipulation of the combiner ankle tilt.

Note that the date code has to be the one found stamped into the figure's leg, not the one on the packaging. The two codes can actually differ quite a bit.

6. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    f I'm using 3rd party KO hands and feet for Volcanicus and Abominus, and haven't seen any stress marks at the attachment sockets. Haven't had a problem with any of the other bots previously mentioned. If anything, the socket on Cutthroat is more of a problem because no matter what foot I attach, it fell out until I used some clear nail polish on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both Rippersnappers were fine with his Prime Armor hand and the KO hands work just as well. No stress marks noted. Same with Slug and Sludge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WereDragon EX

I've heard some cases of Slug, Sludge, and Rippersnapper having broken pegholes due to the combiner hand, but never personally saw or experienced it. The issue seems more to do primarily with the combiner feet, which have larger pegs and the Dinobots having seemingly thinner pegholes for said feet. Rippersnapper is likely the worst in that regard, since he uses the same peghole for both combiner hands and feet. If you've mainly been using those figures as combiner arms, there's probably much less of a chance of breakage.

As for Cutthroat, I've seen one with a loose peghole as well, but it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue.

8. Autobotfan99

Autobotfan99 Active Member

I just tested a KO PC-09 set on my Slug, and mine is fine. It only seem to broke my G2 Vortex.

9. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

There ought to be a new mechanism/tech to insert combiner feet/hands without damaging the limb bots.

10. Bruticusfan2016

Bruticusfan2016 Active Member

My slug and sludge don’t have that problem. I tested the black KO PE PC perfect combiner set, and I saw no stress marks.

11. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

The problem is 3rd party hands / feet. 3p quality control is all over the place, with major variations in size of the "5mm" peg, even within the same brand. On molds where the peghole is thicker, it doesn't really matter. Rippersnapper and the dinobots have pegholes made of really thin plastic, so a peg that's too big can easily break it. I've never seen this problem with stock hands / feet but maybe half of the third party sets I've bought have been too big. I ALWAYS do a test fit in CW drag strip (one of the sturdier molds) and sand down the pegs until they go in without too much force.

12. WereDragon EX

From what I have seen, the Dinobots don't tend to form stress marks on their pegholes for the combiner feet, but said pegholes can still break nonetheless after some time, so there not being stress marks is not necessarily indicative of your figures not having this peghole breakage issue. Rippersnapper is much more likely to have stress marks appear, though.

This is true, as 3P combiner hands and feet tend to have thick pegs. If I recall correctly, Blot is another mold with a very sturdy peghole. Even the stock hands and feet (particularly the feet) can cause peghole breakage in the Dinobots and Rippersnapper, it seems, especially if you use the figures as combiner legs and use the combiner feet ankle rockers while said feet are plugged into the figure, as it creates friction and stress against the peghole. It's probably best to remove the combiner feet, adjust the peghole manually, and then plug them back into the figure when posing them while using them as legs, though this is obviously not an intuitive way to pose the combiner.

13. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this might work, but perhaps the peghole could be filled with epoxy, then inserting a combiner foot/hand (with the peg covered with plumbing tape). Make sure to remove the excess epoxy during insertion. Leave it for 24 hours before removing.

I was able to repair the screw grooves of one of MP Starsaber's thighs when it became too loose using said method.

14. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

I've been forced to use Rippersnapper as a leg because my Sinnertwin has foot joint half molten for a factory problem and I like too much Blot as arm to change him same for Cutthroat leg. Yes ,was risky but from November to 2 weeks ago combiner has always remained in that mode and Rippersnapper foot joint hasn't the smallest fracture .There is ony one perfectly straigh line,very thin just on surface on the whole foot joint of peg but everything seems still strong . Maybe was a factory line present on all bots?

Then maybe I've been lucky or I kept Abominus in slender pose placing him against wall with never removing foot from him, but My Rippersnapper joint foot seems still perfect.