Minor/Repaint: Potp Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AkioRed, Apr 20, 2022.

1. AkioRed

AkioRed Well-Known Member

So in preparation for the Legacy Laser Optimus Prime, I decided to try my hand at adding some life to one of my favorite HasTak figures, Potp Optimus Prime. When I first saw it I waited for an eventual Takara release with better colors, but starting from the Potp line Hasbro and Takara unified their releases, meaning I had to leave it as is or do it myself. For the smaller details I tried using Posca markers as suggested by fellow board member @Shin Densetsu

Starting with the cab, I added silver to the wheels and chromed the gas tanks and smokestacks (note to self: paint the bolts on the sides silver too):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Painted the lights on top of the cab and painted the bolts under the windows:
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, painted the semi-circles on the truck bed silver and added some lights on the rear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving to the trailer, I added silver to the wheels and the... vents? near it:
    [​IMG]
    The blue panels on top was a mistake, I thought they'd face inwards... but honestly, the top of this trailer is such a mess anyway:
    [​IMG]
    Painted the trailer's back doors silver too:
    [​IMG]

Moving on to Orion Pax, I added some panel lines on his legs and thighs (it's hard to see on the blue of his legs):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chromed the smokestacks of the robot mode too:
    [​IMG]
    And added somme silver to the forearms:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to the armor, painted the small triangles on the legs and the feet grills? silver. I left the vents on the middle of the legs untouched because I think the silver is a nice contrast to all the blue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The biggest problem of this mode in my opinion is that a lot of trailer panels wrap around the legs and arms, adding a lot of dull gray to the overall look. So I painted the legs blue and arms red (by the way this is why there are blue panels on top of the trailer):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I chromed the legs "gas tanks" too:
    [​IMG]
    Moving to the upper body, I painted the stripes on his abs silver and added some color to the light bulbs too:
    [​IMG]
    I removed the factory stickers from his shoulders and added one only on the left side. I also painted mostly of the shoulders red, then added silver to the pipe and bolts as well as the elbow. Oh, and I chromed the smokestacks:
    [​IMG]
    I painted the hands blue and added panel lines on the thighs:
    [​IMG]
    Added silver to the bolts and grills on the chest:
    [​IMG]

Once I finished everything I applied a clear topcoat everywhere except the chromed bits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was actually a test since I had never used Posca markers nor gundam markers for panel lining before, and it was overall a good experience. Now I just have to wait some 5 months untill I get laser Prime... :cool: 

• Like Like x 8
  2. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

Nicely done! This looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  3. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    somewhere between tomorrow and yesterday.
    Very nice. I did many of the same things on mine except I went toy accuratish.

There are a few 3DP kits available. I bout two. Will get the last, fillers, eventually.

Care if I share?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AkioRed

AkioRed Well-Known Member

Sure, go ahead! :D 

5. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    somewhere between tomorrow and yesterday.
    6A6CAA9A-233D-41DE-AC7F-A0D2E06A1037.jpeg 00AB75F6-AA83-4924-AB88-7D9D8E9202B0.jpeg

I just realized I need finished the inner boot. Have to fix that.

• Like Like x 3