POTP Grimlock in-hand

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bountyan, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, most of the CW figures were fairly updated / modernized designs (or based on the IDW Comics, which are inherently updated).

2. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I agree that the potp gimmick is largely cosmetic for adult collectors unlike say titan returns where you can mix and match heads and add titan masters to vehicles and weapons.

We can still add titan masters to these guys in terms of having them in cockpits etc. The big selling point for potp is the combining gimmick for the deluxes and voyagers as torsos. Plus you can add cw deluxes to these too so its a line that incorporates both while having a largely cosmetic gimmick with the primes.
    Most of us aren't buying these figs for the gimmicks but the figures themselves.

3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

You're not the only one... A lot of collectors are just happy that we're finally getting G1-esk Dinobots that aren't just Grimlock regardless of pointless gimmicks that compromise better quality. And that (along with kids) are who Hasbro are focused on currently.
    As a result, I'm skipping POTP Grimlock and that stupid combiner gimmick while still grabbing the remaining Deluxe's Dinobots in wave 2 as placeholders.

I did personally get a 25% discount on the 5 Deluxe and Legends class POTP figures I have bought recently which reduces some of my resentment of this line. And the ones I have the most problem with (Starscream, Grimlock, Unicronimus, OP, Jazz, etc.) I simply won't buy.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but what about kids? one thing I find outragious is how little Hasbro cares to introduce all those characters to the most casual fans and kids for new generations to come in the fandom... who do they know? Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, Soundwave, Grimlock... Arcee maybe...
    I'm sure the figures are selling because most of them are ... cool looking robots... but they could do so much more with a little interest put into the characters...
    it's funny in my opinion how the heavily criticized Movieverse is somewhat respecting its versions of characters more than the Generation line...

5. ultramagnus1

Totally agree. Can you see an average kid seeing say potp dreadwind on the shelf and wanting that figure? Or having any association with him.? No.

Or a long time fan seeing him on the shelf? Who is more likely to buy?. The long time fan or the kid?

Answer on the back of a tenner please

6. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    I did, when I first saw him on the shelf in 1988. Didn’t have the Marvel comics; he was just a cool looking toy with a neat gimmick that I had fun playing with. Not sure why the POTP version would be any different for a kid today.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ultramagnus1

There are always exceptions and I too picked up figures back then that looked cool. But these days largely because of the bay movies most (not all) kids would probably buy characters they recognise either from those movies or the rid cartoon.

Not all of course. But the majority of people who are going to buy potp will be adults as kids will focus on the rid line and maybe the movie lines. Some kids will but most of a certain age will probably say pass.

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back then, we only really the Marvel comics and the Sunbow cartoon to reference. I can honestly say I rarely ever wanted a figure back then that I didn't have some kind of attachment to. Getting a figure because it looked cool is a lot different than getting one now where all it takes is a flip of a smart phone to find out everything there is to know about a character.
    Even so, I lost track of how many times I've been to stores and heard kids asking for Bumbelbee or Optimus. I remember hearing a parent asking their kid if they liked the guy that turned into a rhino (back when Rhinox was at retail) and the kid said he didn't know him and wanted Bumblebee.
    Different times.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Don't blame me. I voted for Slag!

• Like Like x 5
  10. ultramagnus1

Yeah similar situation recently in a major toystore here. Father and son looking at the figures. Father showed him tr hot rod. Kid said no didn't know him and got an rid bumblebee instead.

On a seoerate occasion another kid didn't want tr hot rod because he didn't look like the tlk hot rod.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't normally advocate drop-kicking kids, but...

• Like Like x 8
  12. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude Well-Known Member

I feel like the solution here is another modestly budgeted animated transformers movie that takes itself seriously but maybe doesn’t traumatize a generation of kids.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or whatever type of content which actually features characters that are in the lines they are selling...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We understand. Absolutely. And, anyway, they should tell the kid that TLK 'Hot Rod''s real name is Side Kick. The real one's the guy with the flames.

Of course, he'll probably still prefer Side Kick.

15. ultramagnus1

It took all my willpower not to intervene but it was nothing to to with me.

This is the mentality we are dealing with though. Kids liked and enjoyed the bay movies and these designs and characterisations are there frame of reference for bots like hot rod.

Kids aren't really gonna know Judd nelsons hot rod unless their dad shows them the animated movie but "their hot rod" is a French sounding dude and to them that's hot rod not the character we grew up with.

Their dads may buy the upcoming potp rodimus but chances are the kids won't

16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Every generation has it's own incarnation of the franchise.

Both Hot Rods aren't in the same continuity anyway.

17. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm an outlier then lol. I grew up with a few episodes of the Unicron Trilogy and Animated, while the Bay Movies were my jam. While I love Animated now, my collection is only CHUGs based off of the toon and later some IDW stuff. I remember when I was a kid, having to explain to my parents that I didn't want a "Bay Bumblebee" I wanted the G1 Bumblebee, then having to explain what G1 was... :lol  Don't underestimate kids with the power of the internet and old VHS tapes! Well, I guess DVDs or online videos now...

• Like Like x 2
  18. DMaynor23

DMaynor23 Well-Known Member

I didn’t buy any of the CW or TR stuff but the POTP interests me. Something about dinobots and a decent loooking Rodimus Prime makes me feel like a kid.

19. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

I really like how the Dinobots have the gold paint on the backside of the clear plastic. It looks really cool!

20. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

Oh man, I just wanna put this guy together with my technobots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.