Postal tips

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by Crow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Shipped, added insurance to be safe and have it marked as "return to sender" if for some reason it doesn't get to the buyer. I just PMed him the tracking info, so I hope all is well.

2. Emperor Megatron

Emperor Megatron Something goes here

I'm preparing to post a sales thread and wanted to check on postage costs. I'm a little out of date on USPS rates and eveything, but I have card backs and even the outer boxes still for a lot of my Transformers. I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly send these, since the flat rate Priority Mail boxes are too small. Is Priority Mail still a viable option to use with bigger boxes, because I know there are these 'zones' that causes prices to increase. What is the best way to ship items like this?

3. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Still says it's departed my local USPS and that Universe Package Tracker says "in transit". Should I worry or is this normal? The USPS postal worker who checked in my package said that the code/number on the Customs Form gets checked in America but the guys in Singapore don't always scan it. Is this cause for concern or is it still going to get there?

4. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can use Flat Rate Priority Mail Envelopes, the cardboard ones not the flimsy ones paper like ones.. They are 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" and cost $5.60 inside the USA and there is a slightly longer version called Priority Mail Legal Flat Rate Envelope that is 15" x 9-1/2" and costs $5.75 to ship inside the US .. For card backs you should be able to fit a bunch in one envelope. You will get free tracking with these as well.

That's normal .. Sometimes it will continue to update and sometimes it wont, but in my experience it will update all the way there till its delivered, i have had very few not update when delivered.. Either way it does show that you shipped it out to them.

5. Metal Chaos

News Credits:

Well it's only been updated twice, once to show it was accepted and then again to show it was put into transit. I hope it arrives soon, I guess I'll PM the buyer again and see if it's arrived yet.

6. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    I recently shipped a missile, packaged it as small as I could to accommodate labels, but because I sent it as a package it was a minimum $2-something to ship. Is there another way to ship small accessories for cheap?

7. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Feel bad for this eBay seller I did a transaction with:

Bid and bought a MISB Death Star Darth Vader, for $20, and then $25 for shipping, from FL to AZ.

Got it today, and turns out he paid $38!! for shipping. Damn, that's gotta suck.

You try USPS? They typically go by weight. It would help if you could also use packaged envelopes for small accessories that you speak of.

8. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box for $5.80 , The box is about the size of a VHS tape and you get free tracking. You can do Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelops too for $5.60. For me personally, I will never ship accessories in those normal yellow envelope.. I have had more then a few arrive to me ripped open and empty or missing some of the accessories that were inside because of poor packing by the sender.. When I sell stuff I just explain that I will only ship Priority for the safety of it all.

9. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you were shipping to the Philippines it can take around 2 weeks sometimes a little longer. Even though USPS will give you a time frame for delivery its almost never correct and takes longer.

10. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    Yeah I always do USPS. And it was just one missile, but because I sent it in a padded envelope it was a minimum $2 charge. I'm trying to send it for cheaper if at all possible. That was my question, sorry if it was unclear.

11. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Singapore and it just updated today. I sent it out on the 22nd, it just now updated today and it's still in Florida, albeit Miami. This is taking entirely way too long.

12. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    You can also use a small box to ship it first class. As long as the contents are under 13oz you can do first class with tracking included, but yeah the rates are usually about the same. $2 and up, but it beats shipping in an envelope if you want the item to arrive safer.

13. Deceptichage

News Credits:
    I ordered something from Singapore of eBay a couple months ago. The tracking never updated for a month. It was at Origin Post preparing shipment for a long time. On the 30th day I had to file for buyer protection. The tracking updated the next day to say it finally reached the states and the item was in my hands in a few days.

14. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Well, I'm the seller in this case so I'm hoping the buyer doesn't file to get his money back or else I'm out $160 worth of figs and $75 of shipping/handling and packaging material.

15. Deceptichage

News Credits:
    I think you'll be Ok if you sent it Priority Mail. I know that when I tried shipping Parcel Post a year or so ago, they wouldn't give me tracking info. I guess it depends on their postal system. The guy that sent me my stuff used the slower service and was able to get tracking for it. I think we US people can only get tracking if we send stuff Priority or Express.

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I sent it "Priority Mail International Parcels". I'm just hoping it gets there soon and in good condition. I'd have shipped it something higher tier but the buyer didn't wanna pay more than $60 s/h and it ended up costing me $71 after adding insurance.

17. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Can you explain further? I have shipped something from US to Colombia on the 17th, through International Priority Small Flat Rate Box, and as of July 19, the tracking hasn't been updated to show where it has arrived from LA. What do you recommend I do?

18. Deceptichage

News Credits:
    Columbia ship time may be different and you are using Priority mail so it may be quicker. Mine was shipped from Singapore to the US. For the first three weeks, all I keep seeing on the site was"Origin Post preparing shipment." When I filed my case, I was fortunate enough that the status finally updated the next day. I just waited because at that time it was finally in the US and in a few days it arrived.

The Sale date: May 04, 2014. nothing changed until June 05, 2014.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 9, 2014 , 7:40 am

Out for Delivery

KENT, WA 98031

June 9, 2014 , 7:30 am

Sorting Complete

KENT, WA 98031

June 9, 2014 , 3:30 am

Arrived at Unit

KENT, WA 98031

June 8, 2014 , 3:24 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

SEATTLE, WA 98168

June 6, 2014 , 5:19 am

Departed USPS Facility

BROOKLYN, NY 11256

June 5, 2014 , 10:55 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

BROOKLYN, NY 11256

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

19. CometArmagon

CometArmagon Planet Trasher Extrodiner

Ebay:
    Can someone confirm this for me.

I have been looking into USPS insurance coverage and shipping internationally (Canada) and from what I have read insurance cannot be claimed once a package crosses the border. It has something to do with no longer being in the hands of USPS so they are no longer liable to cover the contents of a package.

Is that true?

20. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt that's true. Why would they offer insurance for international shipping if it is worthless? Call your post office and ask them if you want to be sure..