Postal tips

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by Crow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    **Update** to my previous post

looks like right after I posted that it changed locations and should be here Monday or at the latest Tuesday so I guess it can be atributed to slow mail

2. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Regarding this, does anyone know if boxes are still free? The first post was made years ago so I'd like to know if it's still the same.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Yeah, most boxes are still free. Ready Post are the only ones that you have to pay for.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Between flat rate and reg priority mail i have 8 different sizes that i got for free off usps.com.Cases of 20-25 with about 3 day delivery time.

5. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    never got mine in 3 days , i always had to wait almost 2 weeks to get the boxes i order.. Whats also messed up is i just ordered a case of dvd boxes . i order 1 case and someone screwed up and sent me 20 cases , i couldnt open my front door to get them lol.. lucky for me the post office took 17 cases of them lol.. But ordering online is the best way to go though because the post office can not get some one the boxes that are on the usps site.. The post master actually asked me if i could order some for them :) )

6. firetruckprime

firetruckprime Autobot

In May there will be a two cent increase for first class mail. Unkown effects on priority rates.

7. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Priority already went up last month by 15 cents.. My packages that normally cost $4.80 are now $4.95 . Im pretty sure first class already went up as well. No big deal to me though cause i never use first class, its the worst shipping to use i think because things get lost easier and arrive damaged.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    paypal is still 4.95 for priority up to 1lb and a few oz with free dc

with a 12x12x8 box.

9. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

What great information. Thanks!

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
  11. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah i posted about this many pages back , but its cool to keep it up front so people dont have to go through all the pages lol.. I order my stuff like this all the time and hasnt cost me a dime. They use to have tape for free as well but stoped selling that because it got to expencive i was told..
    Be careful ordering though , i order 1 case o 20 dvd boxesand they scfrewed up and sent me 20 cases :lol  i couldnt even open my front door to get them becasue they were stacked in 2 piles of ten in front of it :lol  . It shouldnt happen anymor since they upgraded the ordering site. But if this does happen to anyone, the post office will take them off your hands :) .. Also make some room because the full cases are pretty big and take up space.

Another thing , there is a USPS Shipping Assisant program you can download aswell. With it you can print your shipping lables and it gives you FREE delivery confirmation :)  Just print out your shipping slip , tape it to the box and take it to the post office. They scan it , you pay and your done :) .

Here is the link USPS - Need shipping services? Try USPS Shipping Assistant.

12. thecypher0

thecypher0 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not sure how many of you ship a lot of stuff but FedEx is way cheaper on shipping for larger boxes and longer distance packages (i.e. TN to CA) than USPS typically by several bucks and it includes insurance up to $100 if you declare a value. Plus if you sign up for an account with them, they provide free self adhesive labels (you have to request them) that can be used for either USPS or FedEx. If you only ship little packages (6x6x6 or so) or international only, then it probably won't do much good as you just can't beat USPS for that kind of thing.

13. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

I had a box returned once when i first starting using these because i turned mine inside out. The mail carrier said i couldnt do that because they was free..

With these 2.

I think they should broaden the boxes they have. I mean really how many of the boxes they have are good for Transformers anyways. I mean what about the Leader Class ones... Yes they have a good amount of boxes... But i had to call around for a certain size box. They need to have more supply and more choices i think.

These flat rate boxes are a joke for Transformers....

14. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

Not sure how what u mean by "Larger" but this is for 4 pounds, To AL from MA.
    Priority Mail® [More info about Priority Mail®] 2 days $11.90
    End of day(3 Business Days) FedEx Home Delivery® $14.50

Had to many problems with items i rec'd from people from FedEx to even think about using them. But if its cheaper i might consider it.

15. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Kind of related to shipping, but if you're ordering something and have the choice between USPS and UPS, which is better? I know you can track with UPS, but will they let you not require a signature to deliver? Thanks.

16. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    USPS Priority Mail is almost always cheaper and faster. I dont use USPS Parcel Post because almost every package i have gotten with that shipping method has been just about crushed and take about a week to two weeks to arrive. SO i only use and request USPS Priority mail .. i only ship with priority mail and that takes 2 to 3 days tops to ship.. UPS ground takes about a week or more and usually costs more, and packages can get damage because of the amount of time they are in shipping so pack them very very well if you choose UPS.
    You can add tracking to any USPS package, its called Delivery Confirmation, no signature required, you tack it online on the USPS site and it will tell you every stop your package makes and when and what time it is delivered. It costs about 50 cent to add that to any package..
    I would only use UPS if i have something large and heavy to mail. But USPS is almost always the cheapest , Safest and best way to mail stuff

hope this helps :) 

17. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Thanks! It totally helps.

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    we yeah...it is ILLEGAL to turn the boxes in side out...they are meant for folks to ship items Priority mail, who whuda thought? :crazy: 

19. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The newer priority boxes you cant turn inside out because they printed the word priority on the inside. The older boxes i turned inside out all the time. I would write a bogus address on the correct side before turning it inside out so it looked like the box was used once already so if they gave me any crap i would just tell them it was a used box they made there money off already and i was just reusing it and didnt want to ship it priority. That story worked for me many many times and never had anything returned to me.
    If you dont want to go that rout then wrap the package in brown paper like a brown paper bag or something. you can buy rolls of brown wrapping paper from a UPS store as well. I always keep that on hand just in case.

20. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Flat rate boxes are somewhat useless yeah but 95% of the time its cheaper to ship normal priority mail and they have a few more choices in boxes. Flat rate is best for shipping something that isnt very big but is very heavy. If you have a toy like a leader class figure then you can buy a box from the post office as well called Ready Post boxes. They are the white boxes you see for sale in there display case or on the wall. The one for a leader class toy costs around 3.75 i think. plenty of room in there the toy and packaging.

Also the best thing anyone can do if you ship alot, is to buy a digital weight scale BUT dont buy the ones at the post office, WAY overpriced and they wont weigh anything over 10 pounds.. Go on ebay and you can get one for between 10$ to $15 . I paid aroudn 15 for mine about 7 years ago (prices are still them same now). It can weigh things up to 72 pounds. Its great and has never been wrong.