Post WFC-trilogy Generations Toylines Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Wompod

Wompod Worlds Biggest Overload Fan

yeah thats pretty much what i meant. and using neural networks to work out compounds is a use case I like and completely removed from the image generation stuff. And AI is only as good as the data it has so I dont think it would be better at the distribution than our current algorithms without a lot better data to work with.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hm, yeah the distribution part makes I guess. Not worth it if the problem can be solved with what we have and less computational power is used

I can also agree with other peoples views that it's not worth it for toys, except for the recyclable and possibly even organic compound materials. I hope it's gonna be used for this purpose soon. This hobby is killing conscience so hard :(  I literally feel like an addict. I know it's super bad, but it's that "simple thing" that gives me so incredibly much joy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wompod

so these guys are made primarily of ABS which actually IS very recyclable, its just expensive to do so. much more expensive than making more ABS. but if you wanted to take the time and effort you clean off the paint and depin a transformer, remove all the unpaintable and transparent plastic (which might also be recycable) grind the ABS up and extrude it into filament or pellets.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't wait to see what AI assisted design could yield in simple but dramatic transformations

5. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

i..... don't really think that's an area where machine learning would be of much or any help

• Like Like x 12
  6. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree, and I wonder how it will affect my career in 1-3 years

7. Trevor Belmont

News Credits:
    :lol  Why care about facts when you can just throw around your opinions

FYI, it's been revealed that AI is currently not working for 3D tasks. That's because the Neural Nets are designed using vector and matrix multiplication. While nth dimensions are supported in mathematical terms (ref top illustration attached), the networks cannot yet follow a three dimensional gradient "through" multiple layers (ref bottom illustration).

However, there is Research showing off 3d CNN layer architectures. Those could totally work for engineering tasks

3D Convolutional Neural Network — A Guide for Engineers | Neural Concept

Lol, the concept seems to basically flatten represent 3d data in 2d, then run it through the network:
    63f4da50897d621c391e14fb_iu.jpeg
    Geodesic Convolutional Shape Optimization: Optimize Complex Shapes Fast | Neural Concept

So, feature learning (training) in 3d and classification in 2d. Though it seems that certain areas get transformed to 2d for a certain feature then transformed back to 3d. Dunno for sure

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Michchall

Michchall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Lego tried organic plastic and it was shit, shit enough for them to quickly cancel this project and go back to normal plastic. So no, let's keep this crap outside this hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trevor Belmont

News Credits:
    Thanks, that's interesting input for research. However just because Lego tried, presumably without the help of AI, doesn't mean it's not a viable option anymore.

I think however organic could remain extremely challenging, as degradability contradicts durability

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What happened to this thread???

• Like Like x 16
  11. Cashtron527

Cashtron527 Well-Known Member

I have no fucking clue

• Like Like x 4
  12. nune

nune neurospicy-flavored blitzwing fanatic (ey/em)

News Credits:
    in the Hasbro designers' basement. Hi, Mark!
    Instagram:
    Anyways, uh...back on Sari... (i started all this talk without knowing so it's my responsibility to change it back)

I remember seeing an idea that a "pretool" of Sari could be a Generations toy of Earthspark Twitch. I think that could work, depending on the height of that toy and how the aesthetic is.

However, if they're going to make Sari about the height of a core rather than a Minicon, she could have a removable backpack to homage the show. I think that'd be a neat little feature.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Michchall

Michchall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Most reasonable option would be RotB Noah remold, sure small deluxe would be better but I can't see hasbro doing that in near or even far future.

14. Ghost Quartz

Ghost Quartz Check out my digibash thread, thanks!

I want a figure of TFA Dirt Boss, and maybe even the TFA Headmaster. Small Deluxe works for both of them, but they both must not share a mold even though canonically the Headmaster robot was kind of part of Dirt Boss anyways.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't worry, it's just background lore, shouldn't be spoiling anything that'll be in the next movie.
    That's pretty much what I'm expecting. As long as the jet modes are all fully unique I'll be okay with it.
    A small taste of what's to come if a new leaker doesn't step up.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wompod

yeah how the current 3d thing works is making slices of 3d objects that represent layers of the 3d objects, then try to make the computer generate collections of similar slices. kinda the reverse of how a 3d printer works. some of them make the layers cross, so it can make something that looks like requested objects sometimes but it has trouble making a solid mesh which you need when slicing for 3d printing, and its not even very good at making 2d objects without relying on color... it is still bad at line art too.

and these limits are baked into the architecture, putting more energy into overcoming them will continue to run into quickly diminishing returns I think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wompod

yeah designing transformations is literally in the realm of things AI are worst at. mechanical engineering tasks are waaaay beyond current AI, they cant even get perspective right and dont really know how 3d space works without a TON of hand holding.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Wompod

anyway I like fictional robots more than most of our current real ones. I would totally trust an autobot to design something in 3D.

also sorry for keeping on contributing to the AI tangent here, I just dont like that some people seem to think it works like Magic, and I DO love design in all its many aspects. so talking about plastics and stuff like that is just as interesting to me as everyones talk of headsculpts and design features, you know?

so far, favorite yellow transformers plastic goes to G2 Neon Grimlock

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    bh.png

• Like Like x 11
  20. Wompod

okay one last thing. this is a system for trying to determine the 3d depth of objects in 2d images, the input isnt 3 dimensional either I dont think. still interesting.

wait never mind i read the whole paper this is stupid it just makes an average of multiple previous 3D models more or less. it still relies on human designers to make the designs actually function and requires original training on a batch of models of the thing it is already being asked to make, each time you want it to change what it is making.

that being said it seems like it produces 'usable' 3d models so... eh

ANYWAY who all is supposed to be in that gobot pack again?

• Like Like x 1