Post WFC-trilogy Generations Toylines Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Apr 24, 2020.

1. jojo1982

jojo1982 Well-Known Member

With the line getting a reboot with WFC, I think we going to start seeing some G1 characters that never got made, comic characters(there’s soo many comic TF characters that has high potential and never got made), Armada characters, and redoing characters from the Prime Wars trilogy to fit into this new reboot(I would love to see the Dinobots get into scale, detail, and articulations like what we’re seeing with the WFC line). It’s just a lot to keep em busy for a good 10 or 12 years.

• Like Like x 6
  2. jojo1982

SOON!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    What I want: for Hasbro to remember that Generations has an S on the end, and make some Beast Era/Unicron Trilogy/Car Robots/Animated homages.

What will happen: 1984 cast. Again.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    You mean chug UT toys and give the nameslaps original names?
    I'd love that, personally.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I kinda hope that instead of retreading old stuff, they'd give us something new that may not translate as well to their more kid-focused lines. Namely, a series based on the 13 Primes mythology. Its been danced around a few times, and half-assed PotP was the closest we ever came. But what I'd like to see are full bot designs. Maybe even a Unicronian enemy faction. Just something that going forward, when someone references the Prime mythology, we have a good understanding of what that means.

• Like Like x 5
  6. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want this and Beast Wars.

Hasbro, give me Nexus Prime damnit!
    Wait.....
    I had the same idea several months ago.
    Posted it in an ideas thread.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

I am enjoying transformers a lot right now, and I'm a G1 guy so that's what I want more of. I am always open to the inclusion of characters from any series, but might not purchase them as I purged my collection of non-G1 stuff back 2013. Even still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that rumored RID01 Prime in WFC and I love my Siege Barricade, so it depends.

There seems to be a lot of consensus on this forum that WFC3 will focus largely on the 1986 movie cast and post-movie S3 characters, from Cyclonus to Sandstorm. With the success of the Prime Wars trilogy, and the apparent success so-far of the WFC trilogy, I think it makes sense to continue on the trajectory of generations updates for the toy-line from 1987 onward after WFC is complete. I don't know if there's a whole trilogy of toy-lines there, but it's a great time to update the characters from Masterforce through Return of Convoy, and then some.

I am not sure how it would be marketed in the west story-wise since those some of those stories and characters weren't originally in our media, but I sure would like to find out because there's a lot of room for invention. Add in the outlier characters that Hasbro likes to include - maybe in this case include Turbomasters and pull from G2 if needed - and I believe those late-era and JG1 characters are sufficiently obscure enough to not feel like yet another G1 retread, even though the door would be open for Hasbro to add Prime (Powermaster & Star Convoy), or characters like Starscream (Actionmaster) and Bumblebee (Pretender) into the mix.

• Like Like x 5
  8. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As a lot of this thread demonstrates there's a range of different factions of the fandom wanting representation in the Generations line: Beast Wars, Unicron Trilogy, late period G1 and Euro G1.5, people that still feel their 'classic' G1 characters need to be done accurately. There's voices saying that a line based around (enter you're preferred 'obscure' element here) couldn't sustain sales while others feel fatigued with the heavily G1-centric approach of the Prime Wars and WfC trilogies.

So the problem faced by those steering the Generations line is 'how can you please everyone'

And the soloution, I guess, is 'please everyone'.

There seems to be some appetite on Hasbro's part for making a Generations cartoon. They've been dipping a little more of their toe in the water with each trilogy, from the Prime Wars cartoons released on the relatively obscure Go90, to the upcoming WfC series on the much more established Netflix platform.

They've been very bold, and frequently non-traditional, with character choices in Cyberverse, bringing in a range of characters from well known fan favourites from Cheetor, to real obscurities like Rack'n'Ruin, with the likes of Perceptor, Whirl, Repgunus, and Sky-byte filling out that spectrum. They've even used the Tarn design from the MTMTE comics. While Cyberverse is kinda peripheral to the TF stuff I follow closely, from what I can tell it's been quite popular, and seems to have proved that folk will actually lap up what's deemed as 'obscure'.

Warden has spoke many times about the importance of the story telling element in the lines that he's stewarded.

So how do you tie all this up together?

Make a cartoon that skews to a slightly older age group than Cyberverse, fill it with characters from across the franchise's history and marry to the Generations toy line to it.

Inevitably, this wouldn't actually please everyone. I mean, this is the TF fandom after all. But man, you'd satisfy a lot of needs in one fell (Voyager class, because he's shorter than the other Dinobots) swoop. People want a new G1 accurate Nightbeat? Sure, stick him in the cartoon. And now he can sit happily alongside the likes of Rhinox, Rattrap, and Waspinator (hey, deja vu).

@Iruni need I say #BIGMOTORVATORORWERIOT?

And this can run and run and run.

The continuity that started with Prime and ended with Robots in disguise ran for a good seven years, with various off shoots. Over in Star Wars, the 'Filoni' verse continues to run despite starting nearly 12 years ago.

So, ok. You don't get all the BW cartoon cast in the first year. No worries. they're going to keep drip feeding them, along with late period G1, Euro G1.5, Unicron trilogy, comic originals, and the inevitable yearly release of Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, and Bee over the years. NOW NO-ONE EVER NEED COMPLETE THEIR COLLECTION EVER (these words send shiver of terror through me).

Anyway, as per usual, I'm probably a million miles wide of the mark as to what Hasbro are planning post WfC, but it's what I'd be inclined to do...if someone was stupid and irresponsible enough to hire me.

Oh, Christ. Someone's going to murder me for not including any mention of JG1, aren't they.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  9. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Exactly. I always felt Blurr and his mini-con should have had their names swapped.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Many of the toys had articulation that is way subpar compared to modern chug.
    People often think the Energon and Cybertron had much better articulation than the Armada toys. They did, but it's not like they were leagues better

Oh? I can see why, but I thought you meant more like Hasbro should give characters like Blur new names.
    Not that it matters much to me really. I just think it would be awesome to have chug UT toys.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leobreaker, Backstop, Scattorshot, and Overhaul would be great figures updated with more articulation and less Cyber Key POWAH.

To a lesser extent, Hot Shot. Never did like his leg articulation and arm articulation.

THUNDERBLAST

12. jojo1982

Posted it in an ideas thread.[/QUOTE]
    I would love for them to gives us all the 13 Primes in a new 3 or 4 year long trilogy. Something a lot more different than the Prime Wars and WFC

13. weevil

weevil CHUG Fan!

News Credits:
    Maybe, Hasbro will make Universe line ,which is very similar to Studio Series.

I still want screen accurate BW Transmetal 2 Megatron , Prime Knock Out and BW Dinobot.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't get why G1 needs to take a break. Can't we just literally live in harmony? Can we just like, seriously just have say, a BW or Unicron Trilogy focus but also keep bringing out a handful of late G1 guys or Japanese G1 guys? I don't think G1 fans are going to be very happy if the supply literally stops for the sake of another series. I'd be happy to take a backseat for awhile but I don't want the supply to stop, especially when there's still lots to do.

• Like Like x 2
  15. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My take is KINDOF similar.

I'd have a loose G1 history in place.

Hints of the big stuff. Optimus died and rose again. Megatron as an evil that took many forms. The ruined landscape of earth with remnants of buildings like "Blackrock Automotive", "Arkeville Labs", and "Witwicky and Sons Refinery".

Humanity is believed to be extinct. This is the world that Bumblebee wakes up in, Captain America style.

Nature has reclaimed the earth but all is not as it seems: The Beast Wars between Maximal and Predacon rage on in secret. The Transformers have been confined to Cybertron by an interstellar alliance that governs the galaxy and the only ones who escape offworld do so by posing as organics.

At the end of the first mini-arc, the Galactic Council discovers Bumblebee's signature on earth and angrily confronts the governor of Cybertron: Star Saber.

Star Saber promises to sort everything out and is authorized to command a ship, The Lost Light XV, to go to earth and apprehend Bumblebee, who has now met up with the off-the-grid Maximals and forcibly take any Cybertronians on the ruins of earth back to Cybertron.

Star Saber vows that one way or another, he will make sure the treaty stands, and gives his word to President Zarak.

But the twist is, President Zarak of Nebulos is a decent man -- the latest in a political dynasty -- but we soon learn that his chief advisor is none other than Bludgeon, a Decepticon Pretender who has been interfering in galactic affairs while the Autobots honored the treaty.

What follows is a lot of intrigue including the role the Transformers are alleged to have played in human extinction that led to their planetary confinement on Cybertron, the secret Decepticon Pretenders roaming the galaxy, the criminal Maximal and Predacons' origins, and evidence Bumblebee has uncovered that could throw everything into question.

Kind of a teens plus series. Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist-level stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Backstop and Overhaul are among the top UT characters that desperately need a better toy.
    About the cyber keys: What if instead of actual accessories that are needed to activate gimmicks the gimmicks would be folded out manually and the keys were homaged in the form of a hinged panel like the Decepticon/Autobot logo siege Skyfire and ER Doubledealer have? On one side there is nothing, and on the other side of the panel, the cyber key appropriate to the character is tampoed.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone here is saying that G1 needs a break. Or if they are it wouldn't be for long. I mean I'm wanting to see Star Saber,Deathsaurus,Thunderclash and Skyquake be updated myself. It's just that for a lot of us here it's frustrating that Hasbro seems to be still reluctant to even give some much as a dedicated box set for the non G1 characters let alone an entire line dedicated for them. Like you said yourself there's room for every era in Generations but it feels like Hasbro themselves aren't getting that message. We're even worried that it's even going to end up damaging the brand in the future if Hasbro's going to remainss tubborn about the G1 only trip when there's no reason to do so. I mean you can't keep a diner alive by simply selling only one type of food.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Very interesting point, I agree with you on the collection by collection sort of thing.
    You're lucky I left my pitchfork at home...

19. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Isn't RID 2001's 20th anniversary coming up next year? I'm hoping for some RID 2001 love.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Rumor has it that the "alt universe prime" from amazon is RID Prime.

• Like Like x 4