Post WFC-trilogy Generations Toylines Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

It takes a big person to realize they were wrong, how good of you to come to your senses.

2. Michael Schlem

Michael Schlem Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I feel that Pretenders were mostly because the Transformers arrived to Earth BEFORE the Modern Day with all the Vehicles and Modern Stuff. So, the Autobots chose their shells to be based upon Humans to blend in more effectively and the Decepticons chose more monstrous Pretender Shells to scare the humans. Later, they kept their Pretender Shells, but gained their new Earth-Based Alternate Modes to give themselves more flexibility. Like the Decepticons couldn't exactly use their monster forms as often, so, for example, Bludgeon took a Tank Alternate mode. After they got their new Alternate Modes, their Shells were pretty redundant, but they didn't care. The Pretender Shells are Vestigial Features, like Wisdom Teeth, the Appendix, the Tailbone, and Goosebumps/Goose pimples. Not really useful anymore, but they just hang out there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NexMix

NexMix Gives Cybertron too much credit

The thing with pretenders is that they're supposed to work in basically the opposite way that they do as figures. Based on what I've seen, the core robots should be normal transformer size while the "shells" should be tiny, which is absolutely befuddling in terms of marketing.

As for why I want the characters but not the gimmick, it's partly because of my lack of attachment to the characters and mostly because of what the gimmick itself does. I'm sure if I was a big JG1 fan I'd demand accurate pretenders too. That being said, the concept of sticking a micromaster into a he-man figure really doesn't sit right with me, like sure the designs are neat but they aren't transformers designs. They can be made into transformers designs, as seen with rts bludgeon and sg octopunch, but as is they simply don't appeal to me whatsoever. If it were more clearly just power armor for transformers I might be more inclined to give it a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetigatron

Bluetigatron I'm a transformers fan, duh

I hope we do, and maybe a jazz too

• Like Like x 6
  5. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Speak for yourself, I'd keep using my giant man-bat form every day :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  6. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't care much about the logic of the Pretenders, I just want modern updates of the toys. Heck, I might even be satisfied with reissues.
    I hope so, but I don't know how/where Hasbro would release it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Optimalprimal

Optimalprimal Diecast construction. It's a lost art.

The best use of logic EVER for pretender shells was IDW Stormbringer. Protective suits for hazardous environments.
    This is also the best use of Pretenders in Generations. Core sized bot sold at deluxe price with clip on armor like Siege UM. The armor is protective equipment, weapons, what have you. Lots of play value.

• Like Like x 16
  8. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Siege Magnus was what I was thinking of too

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dropfire

Dropfire Well-Known Member

I think another way to do a modern day Pretender is mix up the gimmick.

Keep the things that made them unique in design but change how the pretender shell works.

So take Bludgeon, deluxe / voyager sized bot, robot mode is his samurai warrior who transforms into a tank but he has a tiny (micromaster scale) bot that comes out of his chest, which could also transform....or not.

The small bot is a proxy of him that allows him to sneak around and disguise himself, like a spy. He can control both at the same time.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Bandithu

Bandithu Well-Known Member

Just do a regularly scaled figure and pack in a small figure of the shell. No trying to update the gimmick or mix it up, just homage it. We can use our imagination when it comes to the gimmick.

• Like Like x 5
  11. rexemuwu

rexemuwu A nightmare opponent, powered by pure hate

I hope the pretenders can do a "cast off"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  12. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    If there's one thing Transformers fans have no problem using and absolutely don't complain about, it's imagination.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Sleipnir

Sleipnir Well-Known Member

WuzzBorthy Wheeljack line, obviously

• Like Like x 8
  14. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

I'm not hugely invested in Pretenders at all, but this is really good. But I wouldn't buy if someone in Hasbro decided it would be:
    1. armor pieces would be sold separately at same or higher price
    2. armor has no purpose off the bot
    3. Core Transformer, with "just" armor, but sold at Voyager price.

Rather than getting focused on PotP's version... didn't one of the leakers say we've seen the play pattern before?
    What if it's like Powercore Combiners?: smaller than deluxe bot, sold Voyager, and the classic shell-faces are a head-flip of the central bot and drones or weapons become limbs moreso than armor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Schlem

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    "Henshin" (Henshin). "Cast off" (Cast Off. Change Beetle.)

16. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    If the next trilogy is all about the multiverse it would be insanely easy to put Cybertronian Wheeljack and Jazz in the main line. You could have it that they are from the G1 cartoon. Or from a reality where Megatron and Optimus never feuded and thus Cybertron just continued on in peace.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Michael Schlem

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Also, imagine a Transformers X Super Sentai Collection. Given Hasbro is now making the Power Ranger Toys and they look ridiculously accurate and are articulate, It would be cool to see a collaboration between BandaiNamco, TakaraTomy, and Hasbro. Imagine Super Sentai Mecha Based upon the Transformers and Transformers based upon the Super Sentai Mecha. It would show Hasbro and TakaraTomy's Accuracy combined with BandaiNamco gimmicks.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the only Pretenders characters I care about are Thunderwing and Bludgeon, and the main reason I care about them (aside from just their cool designs) is their use in the IDW comics like Stormbringer, and while the Pretender gimmick is incorporated there, it's in a much cooler way that'd translate a lot better into good modern toys than the original idea of massive non-transforming organic 'shells'. And I'd be totally down with a Brainmaster-less Star Saber too if it meant I could get a good Star Saber at the Leader pricepoint. I'd only ever be displaying him as the fully combined mode anyway.
    While this wouldn't be my top choice for how to do them I think it'd definitely work well, provided the armor is done similarly to Siege Magnus and Shockwave in that it incorporates into the vehicle modes as well. Most figures would definitely have to be sold a size class larger than the inner robot would be on its own for the execution to be good though. The armor might need some more complicated engineering worked into it to make it incorporate seamlessly into the vehicle modes.

Bludgeon would work well this way as a Leader class, with an smallish Voyager-sized inner robot that sizes up to a medium Leader like Kingdom Galvatron or Siege Magnus with the armor. Thunderwing I'd want to be roughly SS86 Grimlock-sized with the armor, so while he probably *could* be done as a Leader, he might need to be bumped up to Commander to really be done justice. (I wish they'd make a new size class between Leader and Commander priced at ay $65 for figures that are Leader-sized and need slightly more accessories or engineering, but wouldn't quite fit as Commanders without a adding a bunch of filler.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    While I would miss it, I certainly am not holding my money hostage over a brain master, especially if its exclusion meant a more articulate head.

• Like Like x 5
  20. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    I want Pretenders to be represented as how they were in G1. As in, the character themself *is* the inner bot - They either use the shells to blend in to humans or other organic species, have a scary form to use however that form functions, or in the case of Roadgrabber and Gunrunner, for an external vehicle mode to protect them. Their shell is like a "third mode" that they can't physically achieve as a triple changer. Or, like Thunderwing, the shell is more like a transtector that can transform itself.

Pretenders don't turn into their organic selves directly. Let's keep that with Beast Wars and TF Animorphs, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2