Post WFC-trilogy Generations Toylines Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by B-Fox, Apr 24, 2020.

1. CeramicPigs

CeramicPigs Well-Known Member

I think you guys are overcomplicating this a little. The reason Prime is getting new toys is probably because it's the "safest" option compared to Animated or UT. It was a popular, award winning show, and the designs fit nicely within the WFC aesthetic. Animated, while loved by many fans, was controversial when it first came out because of the art style and new way of storytelling. Plus, the designs would look weird next to G1 and BW designs, and if they changed the style they risk upsetting fans. UT would actually have been a decently safe bet, but then again younger fans and their parents wouldn't really resonate with them as much. I will admit that this is mostly anecdotal evidence, but I'm just trying to look at this through Hasbro's perspective.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Optimalprimal

Optimalprimal Diecast construction. It's a lost art.

Sooo, I'm figuring that we should see SS 86 versions of ER Thundercracker/Skywarp in what, the next 2 years? It doesn't really hit you, but including SS86 Coronation, they've only released 4 versions of the original Starscream mold to 5 or 6 of the conehead mold. Given the scarcity of TC/SW, they gotta do the re release soon, right?
    I really want to custom SW into Blackout, Thrust into Nacelle, and I've got a cool BM Jetstorm idea to do from Dirge/TC.

3. Michael Schlem

Michael Schlem Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I have noticed that 5 People have liked this, but I wonder what your thoughts are about this. Do you think that it was a gimmick that worked well but died too soon? And how much more potential could it have had?

4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/147828
    Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Skywarp and Thundercracker

the 2 pack isn't that scarce

• Like Like x 2
  5. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    When the internet wants to shit on something because they didn't like it they'll call it a failure, even if it wasn't.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Consider this, if it was such a success then why has Hasbro been playing it safe/cheap when it comes to media since that show ended? They haven't invested a lot into media the last few lines. If Prime was a success you would think that would have caused Hasbro to further invest in more of that caliber of animation and such.

I'm not saying it was a total failure by any stretch, hell I'm not really actually calling it a failure. However in some aspects (the details of which we will likely never fully know) it did fail.

• Like Like x 4
  7. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Well like, WFC on Netflix is pretty terrible. My young kids will walk away from the screen rather than watch it. My daughter said "that show is bored." (boring)

Yet, the toy line it's based on is incredibly successful and popular. As such, does that mean WFC is a success? I can't find anyone who likes it very much. This toy line is succeeding because it emulates G1 Sunbow decently well, not because they put a slow, dreadful, show full of drudgery and slow speech and whiny emotions on Netflix. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

You can pre-order the TC/SW set now and it's estimated to be released in September. The Coneheads are the ones in need of a re-release but I really doubt that Hasbro would put anything already released into SS 86 (coronation Starscream is a special exception in my eyes). My gut tells me that Hasbro does not want to squander the positive reaction towards the SS 86 line by filling it up with old figures or cheap repaints.

I mean--- thinking about it now, what Hasbro and Takara should have done is split Studio Series into regular Studio Series (movie characters) and Studio Series G1 (Sunbow characters). Generations would then become anything they wanted it to be. And you could have three concurrent mainstream lines with overlapping audiences. It does not look like SS 86 is going away so this is almost what is actually happening. If you go to Hasbro Pulse, you can see that SS 86 gets lumped in with WFC/Generations and not lumped in with the regular SS. That makes sense but it just feels sorta weird-- kinda like it doesn't matter what subline the figure is in, it's all G1 anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is likely a success because the investment isn't greater than the return. Remember that Prime had a lot of A list voice talent, actors that aren't even regular voice actors (The Rock, Adam Baldwin, Gina Torres). WFC on the other hand has much less expensive talent.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  10. Optimalprimal

Optimalprimal Diecast construction. It's a lost art.

Cool, I haven't checked BBTS lately. I used to use them for everything (still have a few preorders waiting) but since I've typically been able to get most everything I need locally or free shipped (and have rebooted the collection with WFC) I haven't needed them too much.

Good points. I could still see a need for the coneheads to make their way back out, maybe a boxset?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot N

Autobot N Seibertronian

Still not sure why they bothered getting The Rock to voice a one-off character who got ganked in the first episode instead of getting someone cheaper

• Like Like x 8
  12. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    They probably do a lot of research into what people are interested in seeing. They are pushing Beast Wars hard this year and we’re seeing those characters in Rise of the Beasts. So Beasts are a priority right now. That said I think we’ll see UT characters sooner then later. Armada Prime is high price point character that would sell. I think it’s a timing issue. I think previous G1 stuff got lost with the movie and cartoon stuff that was coming out at the time and WFC came out when there was no big movie to promote and the cartoons skewed much younger.

it’s not a good show but Netflix was really happy with the viewing numbers and I know WFC figures were disappearing off shelves after it premiered . It’s also a helluva lot cheaper then Prime. So it did it’s job. I think Armada and Energon were horrible shows but they sold toys…

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, was definitely an odd decision

14. gdg104198

Instagram:
    SS 86 only has a finite number characters they can use and next year will be Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts heavy.

So far we’ll probably get Sludge, The Insecticons, Perceptor, Coronation Starscream, and one or two Junkions. Maybe Blitzwing, the remaining Dinobots and maybe a transforming Wheelie but those will probably be in Legacy.

15. gdg104198

Instagram:
    I think he was intended to be the lead in Age of Extinction at some point. So maybe they were trying to tie him into the brand. Or maybe he loves Transformers…

16. Michael Schlem

Michael Schlem Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Geez. We are so obsessed with Transformers Prime, but I am trying to give a thought that the Weaponizer/Modulator/Fossilizer Gimmicks died too early.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dropfire

Dropfire Well-Known Member

It's a good point, outside the US G1 ran from 1984 to the early-mid nineties, where in Europe it receive whole new waves of figures after the micromasters, action masters and pretenders. With many 84 / 85 bots getting re-released as classics. Let alone in Japan where there was headmasters, victory etc.

I'm a G1 fan I grew up loving those bots. So I feel so lucky we've had the "definitive" versions in wfc, and I can't lie and say I don't look forward to some more G1 bots in Legacy, but I'm also really excited about them mixing up the styles.

It may be we get Prime in evolution because Prime doesn't have too many bots and it's easier to integrate that with remaining G1 and Beast Wars. I do like the idea that Prime is maybe an alternate dimension or lost colony that explains them existing in the same universe.

Armada deserves to have more prominence than just be a few extra bits of padding around G1 and BW so it makes sense for them saving it for a phase 2 or 3 in the new trilogy. Like a BW WFC level reveal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I also think its a timing issue with Armada. I predict it'll get a big launch like Beast Wars got this year. And yeah, the Netflix show did its job. I wonder why its so hard for some fans to understand that their tastes in TF media does not at all matter when it comes qualifying it as a success or not. I completely ignore movie media and figures because its not my thing but it would be silly for me to say the movie stuff was a failure.

Sadly, that's pretty much what's left of 86. In some ways its nice for a line to have a concrete starting point and ending point but I really dug 86. I still think Hasbro should have just done a Studio Series G1 line and filled it up with nothing but Sunbow and JG1 figures. Then Generations could have become something completely new and unique or a buffet of different characters/continuities.

We don't know if the concept is dead. Clearly Hasbro sees the modular figure concept as a success, otherwise why continue to repeat it at least twice. I would not be surprised if it continues into the next trilogy. We're just getting impatient because there hasn't been any leaks about it. You can't rely on leaked info because you'll constantly expect it and then get frustrated when Hasbro doesn't quickly reveal stuff that's 6-12 months away.

I've noticed that Hasbro is mostly in the habit of revealing stuff that is 2-6 months away from release. For example, SS86 Slug was revealed in April and is now starting to show up on shelves but estimated date of release by Hasbro is October 1st. Legacy isn't gonna start showing up until February-April of next year (by my guess estimates).

• Like Like x 3
  19. NexMix

NexMix Gives Cybertron too much credit

I'll be honest, what I'm most excited for in transformers right now is the future of generations selects. Every character I'd like to see other than blitzwing and UT is either shattered glass or semi-obscure G1, and if Hasbro starts experimenting with and expanding generations selects I would be extremely happy.

• Like Like x 11
  20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe the Leader Optimus turned out to be the Amazon one, but there's still a rumored TFP Optimus as well, size class unknown. I don't think we know anything the Megatron but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also TFP. I remember there was a rumor way back about a Helicopter Megatron but IIRC that was proven to be false info fed to one of the leakers. Personally I'd love to see a Super Megatron with his own mold, or a figure inspired by that unused triple-changer Animated Megatron.

• Like Like x 4