Post Toy Fair ~ How are you feeling about Titans Return?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by artiepants, Feb 16, 2016.

?

Post Toy Fair ~ How are you feeling about Titans Return?

1. ***** 5 Stars. All in, buying everything

25 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. **** 4 stars. pretty rad, buying most

75 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. *** 3 stars. being selective

46 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. ** 2 stars. just getting a couple guys here and there

27 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. * 1 star. total pass

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    I'm all in, even for those that weren't Headmasters before. I've waited over a decade for Hasbro to revisit my favorite gimmick.

If they want to continue the smaller price point companion figures, maybe they could bring back Battle Beasts for the 3rd chapter. If it is not beast related maybe Micromasters would work. Then they could have bases of varying sizes that connect to each other and the TR Leader figures' base modes.

2. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I kind of see your point, however, all those changes came along due to some kind of "growth" (story-wise at least). To change many of those Target and Powermasters into Headmasters cheapens the effect. It's become more like the flavor of the month instead of an evolution of the characters.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'm gonna give it a 5. I'm all in, especially after hearing rumors of a new rodimus and laser prime. Headmasters are one of my favorite gimmicks and I really think they've done the play pattern justice this time. I'm actually really excited that they made it one gimmick rather than different kind of masters, as I like this cross compatibility.

I'm probably going to get most, if not all, the TR stuff we saw this weekend.

Im definitely looking forward to having a massive city set up.

4. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i'm at four stars, i just don't want the platinum sets..........

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I went with 4 stars but will still be selective. I think the line so far is great but I always pick and choose what I like best.

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Yea I'll give you that, but only in bot mode. While I love that alt mode, nothing about it, except maybe the colors, scream Scourge to me.

7. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    I'll get the Deluxes, maybe Galvatron and Astrotrain if they are easy to come by and Wheelie.

Fort Max is a big fat maybe depending on availability and boredom.

PissMOP, Soundwave/Blaster and Mindwipe are total no-no's.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Precisely.

To me, a lot of those 2010 Generations were very very loose character interpretations. Even moreso when driven by IDW artist's redesign.

And then things grow to the point, where public perception becomes so incredibly skwewed by these loose interpretations and redesigns, that they talk "G1" but actually mean those contemporary comicbook styles.

So indeed, I am glad Titans Return hits the reset button and puts the actual G1 back into the game again - and there's loads more G1 ground to cover; 87/88/89.

I mean, who does not want to see a proper Titans Return Snapdragon & Apeface, in a most G1 evocative manner as Titans Return has shown thus far.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    3 Stars. My only must-buys at this point are Fort Max, Chromedome, Wheelie, Mindwipe and Skullcruncher. I'm really not interested in the characters that weren't Headmasters originally. Good thing most of them have (IMO) better toys already. I may get Galvatron though.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

some of it looks great, i still think the optimus looks cool. not as fun as the original, considering it is missing everything that made the g1 toy awesome.

other things i think are poorly done. like the fortress maximus. which basically looks to me like a robot who's had his arms/legs turned around. universe sideswipe did this better in my opinion. PLUS that toy is barely transforming. the original transformed more than this toy does. and it's been 29 years. i expect more.

that power surge optimus though, looks like a blast. it looks like a great fun optimus. sure it also doesn't transform a whole lot. but it is also, not around 200 dollars. lol

the sweeps/cyclonus pack looks awesome. I like the universe sweeps and cyclonus vs the combiner wars versions.

Blurr, chromedome, and mindwipe look good though.

everything else is; "meh" to me. i was kind of hoping for more platnum g1 reissues/repaints. i am a sucker for g1 repaints.

11. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I shall be collecting the main Headmasters casts both Autobots and Decepticons, from the first few waves till further waves, this line has potential.

12. Pipes

Pipes Well-Known Member

3 stars for me. Not that I dislike most of what's been shown so far, just that there are (so far) less characters I've got an affection for in this series, as opposed to Combiner Wars which had a lot of favourites of mine.

Fort Max will probably end up on my shelves though, as will Chromedome and Rewind. And Soundwave. The rest I might pick up if I see them at a store and have some money to burn, but I won't go out of my way to hunt them down.

Now, if the next big thing after Titan's Return is a Pretender revamp, then I'll be buying pretty much everything.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I'm only going to buy a couple.

I really want to like this line. I love the idea of little robots that interact with the larger ones and have line-wide compatibility. I love that the separately sold ones come with mini vehicles and beasts and I love all the baseformers that are getting made to go with them. There's just one problem. The mini robots transform into heads. That's not fun. I don't want a transforming head. Why couldn't we have gotten Target Masters too?

Looking beyond the gimmick, the line is just boring 80s G1, with no new changes. They're even taking characters who already have Generations toys and are giving them new ones, just so they're more 80s G1. That's great if that's what you're into but I find it aesthetically bland.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
  15. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    5 stars, BUT I'm being selective. I have way too many figures. Most are binned. I'll get any Lost Light characters. I'll get Fort Max because... he's Fort Max. I'll get any Prime or Megatron figure. Anything else will just depend on how cool the figure looks and if I can find a place for it. Right now, I'm getting:

Any CW figures. (Except the G2 ones since they're repeat characters) I love them. I have dedicated shelf space for them. All in.

Fort Max
    PM Optimus Prime
    Blaster (and all minions)
    Soundwave (and all minions)
    Chromedome
    Galvatron

If they make full figures for Siren and Nightbeat, I'm in for them too. Also the rumored Hot Rod.

I just wonder if Tomy's versions of the little dudes will have more paint apps. That's the biggest beef I have with them...

16. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd give it 4 stars, but I'll probably only get three figures. The fact it makes me want any of them is pretty astonishing.

17. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    This.

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I do agree, I wish they'd gone full on "master-force" with this line:
    Deluxes: Targetmasters
    Voyagers: Headmasters
    Leaders: Powermasters
    And for the legend pricepoint, either 3 packs of Micromasters or replacement packs with 1 each TM/HM/PM

But at the same time, just not too bothered about the way they've gone, and largely will focus on the characters that should be HM anyways...:p 

The voyagers + look like they'll be easier to ignore the Headmaster aspect as well since the helmet takes away the "block head" look.

19. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    There are a couple of things I'm looking forward to, but now that Hasbro has doubled down with the mold re-use I'm having a hard time getting very excited for anything. I started out really excited for Combiner Wars but it quickly started to feel like the same handful of toys rejiggered a dozen times and that's just not interesting to me. I know why they do it, and I understand a lot of people are totally fine with it, but it's not for me.

I'll be getting Blurr or Domey, Hardhead, Rewind, Blaster....and that's pretty much it I think. I'm a HUGE Fort Max fan but I see too much Metroplex in this one so it doesn't really appeal to me. Likewise I've wanted a Powermaster Prime for years but this one just looks like Ultra Magnus playing dress up to me. No remolds for me this time around.

20. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blurr's the only must-have for me. But it's because I'm a big blurr fan. Maybe a chromedome or a brainstorm, but that'd be it. Not that the other stuff is bad, it fits into the "if I see it cheap at ross" category for me.