Post Toy Fair ~ How are you feeling about Titans Return?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by artiepants, Feb 16, 2016.

?

Post Toy Fair ~ How are you feeling about Titans Return?

1. ***** 5 Stars. All in, buying everything

25 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. **** 4 stars. pretty rad, buying most

75 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. *** 3 stars. being selective

46 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. ** 2 stars. just getting a couple guys here and there

27 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. * 1 star. total pass

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I'm at 3 stars ~ more like 3.5 :p 

I am certainly gong to be selective (for example, so far i think every "cassette bot" looks like total crap, so the only legend i plan on getting so far is Wheelie (who looks fantastic ~ it's like he's from a different line then the others)), i highly doubt i'll get any of the "head only" Titanmaster sets, and probably passing on Soundwave, because as much as i want a Classics Soundwave, his proportions are just way too "Blaster" for me.

I'm mostly all in on Deluxes ~ Scourge and Chromedome are the only 'maybes' ~ the both have great vehicle modes (seriously can't believe how good they made the soap bar/space boat/bathtub look) but are looking kinda clunky in 'bot mode, plus i can't stand the IDW-esque head on Chromedome ~ way too angular and pointy. In hand pix will eventually sway one way or the other. Even Blurr who i wasn't to sure about in the earlier reveals i think i'm in for, the in-person pix looked solid. I also can't even believe how good and on-point the 'con beast Headmasters are looking.

For the rest of the line, aside from places where i like the existing figure better (i.e. T30 Brainstorm and Henkei Astrotrain) i'll probably be in ~ even excited for PM Optimus ~ he won't replace Classics OP as my main CHUG Prime, but i was a Marvel comic guy and i think PMOP actually was "on screen" longer then the OG version, so i've got a soft spot for that design (but those hallow unpainted forearms are still a visual atrocity).

Fort Max, man, while he's not quite perfect (about 80-85% there for me) i'd be lying if i wasn't super stoked about him.

2. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A couple more figures added to my purchase radar, though not sold on the entire line.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Yeah im only get new characters to the classics line if, i dont see the point as prevoius toys are better

4. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm feeling: "Wow, I REALLY wish they made this line 5 year ago when figures were not hollow pieces of crap!".

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I love it. 4 stars !

This has got to be my most anticipated generations line EVER.
    I love the stronger G1 infuse and I love the fact we're finally
    pushing character line ups past 85 !

Unfortunately, my budget might constrain me to be selective.

6. artiepants

News Credits:
    i can certainly feel that, but also think they are doing a good job within the unfortunate limitations of where we are at today. (but like i said in the first post, Prime's forearms are just unforgivable)

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    ....while increasing the dimensions per class range....

8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'm getting a few

9. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

I'd say 4 stars. I'll be getting the new brainstorm, even though I have the generations and FansProject versions. I might pass on chromedome, but the rest of the deluxe bots look awesome. I'm especially excited for mindwipe as his transformation looks really neat (how the legs unfold to become the wings). I'm in for fort max since I missed metroplex. All in all, I'm pretty sold on this line. It'll definitely be a breath of fresh air from combiner wars.

10. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Depends on how it's marketed.

I'm really turned off by Hastak's marketing strategy on CW/UW Devastator and CW/UW combiners. Hastak's next move will determine if I still buy any TFs at this point.

I don't want to play games with them. I just want to enjoy playing with their toys.

I remember the simpler days of going grocery shopping and picking up everything without worrying about exclusive elbows, guns and limbs.

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    A 4. There may a be few passes, but overall, I'm in.

12. artiepants

News Credits:
    what do you mean by their Marketing Strategy?

13. artiepants

News Credits:
    Also, I haven't seen across the various news sites: did they drop a more specific release date/time frame? with CW wave 6 starting to hit stores already i have a hard time believing they plan to have no new Generations Deluxe/Voyager product on shelf for nearly 6 months...

14. seali_me

Hastak use to just promote/market Takara's "better" paint job.

A lot of people don't buy into that or fall into it.

Now it's elbows, guns and limbs?!

We're now stepping into the next phase without any sign of limbs in NA.

I have a "feeling" they're testing the waters with CW/UW so yeah...

Make it right Hastak.

15. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But that's not really marketing strategy, that's just two different companies choosing to do two different things.

16. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Happy happy joy joy joy :)  The only figures i aint getting are the ones that aren't supposed to be headmasters. Is that wheelie a headmaster?

17. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, but it has a cockpit that can fit a Headmaster driver while in vehicle mode.

18. seali_me

You've never heard of two different companies and sometimes competing ones working together to maximize profits before?

Mind you the tinfoil hat does hit people at once or twice but yeah if it repeats itself, I'm out.

CW/UW really left a bad after taste.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Wheelie is the only absolute purchase - the only way to improve on what that figure is packing is to give him a slingshot (I didn't see him holding one) or just go all-out with MP treatment.

Blaster and Soundwave are maybes - primarily budget reasons which would only mean I would get one, which would be Blaster since in a pinch, FOC Soundwave has done an admirable job as a stand-in and, personally, looks alright next to CW Leader Megatron. Well, that and if I truly wanted a tape deck Soundwave, I'd just wait for the next time they re-issue the MP as the Leader seems to just be a watered down, has-a-base-mode version of that.

Fort Max I just don't have the space for, unfortunately - otherwise I can't think of a reason anybody who even knows the significance of that guy wouldn't want to pick him up outside of space or monetary reasons.

Otherwise, everything else veers a bit too close to the G1 adherence line for my tastes. Mindwipe's robot mode looks great...except for the obviously hollow box legs and the bat mode clearly having no articulation. Skullcruncher/Alligator guy (not sure on the name at the moment) looks decent but more in a novelty of alt. mode sense than as a solid deluxe offering. Hardhead and Chromedome seem a bit too simplistic if deluxe prices are going to stay at $15.99 US but lack the comic. Blurr looks a bit wonky in porportions and a bit bland with the all-blue color scheme that the pics really don't show looking that great. Scourge somehow has the same problems as Blurr except significantly worse in all aspects whereas my Gen. Scourge does a better job of looking like the movie model than TR Scourge does (painted face, color differentiation in the forearms, red nail polish, really the only problem is his inexplicably blue eyes). Galvatron still seems off to me and the constantly mistransformed right shoulder isn't reassuring, either. And Sentinel Prime...well, after figuring out they made him orange because he's cross-sold with Galvatron (whose main rival is both orange and a prime of a more whiny nature), I'm trying to judge how much I want him since I know I'm getting Astrotrain - the phoned-in train mode instead of a steam engine still pisses me off but the robot mode is dead-on for that retool and shuttle mode is acceptable - and it's down to how much I value having a Sentinel Prime in my Neo-G1 Classics lineup over saving $25 for something else.

Like that Laser Rod Prime everybody keeps talking about - that sounds interesting.

20. DarkWarGrimlock

DarkWarGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disappointed about the lack of wrists and non-G1 characters, but I'm sure to pick up plenty. Blurr, Wheelie, Mindwipe, and the cassettes are most haves out of the gate. I might wait to see if Takara makes better versions of the higher priced figures (I don't expect super great articulation or anything, just some better paint apps and such). Now that I'm in the UK, it's not much more, if at all, to just buy the Takara version over how much Hasbro charges for their figures.