Post prime wars chug: Year by year remakes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slochmoeller, Nov 20, 2016.

1. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

So in another thread there was talk of how gimmicy prime wars is and what should happen with Chug afterwards. Someone suggested a "back to basics" approach that they should go back to focusing on the 84-85 cast. This struck me as a little odd, because those characters have been pretty well Trepresented so far in prime wars.

But I decided to give the idea the attention it deserves, and propose the following: year by year remakes. Every year, Hasbro remakes a year of toys from the original lne.

So say Prime wars wraps up in 2018, leaving 2019 a blank slate. Here's how it would work: In 2019, we get full "CHUG" remakes of the entire 1984 toy line. Back to basics, no gimmics a toy didn't originally have, just 1984 recreated. Then the next year, 2020, would be 1985, and so forth.

What do you think of this plan? Is this what you would like to see as the future of Generations? Would the line be more of a "masterpiece" competitor if it were?* Do you think it's even possible in the modern era for HASTAK to do something like that? And how far would could it go?

*I'm speaking of general fan consensus, I personally still enjoy chug more than masterpiece.

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Please no. A figure of an 84-85 cast member every now and then sure. But we don't need everyone to be done again and yet so quickly. Granted there are some characters that could use a nee figure like Starscream and Grapple/Inferno or Sideswipe but I honestly think after Prime Wars it will continue on making later end of G1 era characters with a few mixed additions thrown in.

You want another Ironhide? I want a Skyquake.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I understand whatever lines crop up will likely have Megatron, Optimus Prime, Starscream and/or Bumblebee...but...beyond that...there is no real need to have the entire 84-85 cast redone in the next reboot...there is plenty of fembots, B-listers, c-listers, obscure characters and characters not necessarily done they possibly should have been done...so stick to the Big 4...their obvious repaints...then get to work on which lower-tier or obscure figures need opportunity...

• Like Like x 2
  4. slochmoeller

I understand these complaints and are some of the same ones I had for the person who suggested going back to 84/85. But I think you all are missing what I'm getting at.

This line would go on for YEARS. so 2021? Everything 1986. 2022? 87. And so forth. Which I said in the first post which seems to have gotten missed.You WOULD get your Skyquake, All those b and c listers? You get them too, when their year comes around. I thought I made this clear. We'd even get things like new micro masters. The only ones left out I guess would be fiction-only characters.

5. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

I love Generations right now and I'm glad rare gimmicks are coming back with interchangeability between more than just one figure (curse you FOC Bruticus and Thrilling 30 Brainstorm and how you only work with yourselves), but I do feel that focusing on certain themes doesn't leave much room for other characters to get remade (where's my new BM Thrust and Armada Demolishor Hasbro?). Thrilling 30 got this right and gave us a diverse set of remakes from different eras. So after Prime Wars is over, I'd like to see the line go back to the way it was during Thrilling 30 (although making some more combiner components and headmasters compatible with the CW and TR figures would be nice).

6. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, that was me. The thought came from looking at my G1 shelves and then my CHUG shelves and the then developed with the conceit that Prime Wars part 3 was going to have Dinobots, Predacons, Pretenders, Terrorcons, and Seacons, amongst others.

If you get through those what are you left with? Sure Combiner Wars had plenty of 84/85'ers but they were all, I would say, ill-fitting remolds.

I don't doubt we'd see some quirky choices in there, as Sentinel Prime, Alpha Trion, Alpha Bravo, and Rook were to Titans Return/Combiner wars, but it would make sense to me to go back and make some updates. Deluxe '84/85 Autobots, with Grapple and Inferno as Voyagers. Voyager Seekers. Leader class Seekers.

As far as making a CHUG line tie to a G1 year, that's sort of what they've been doing. Sure Galvatron came out in Titans Return and we had a Tank Megatron in Combiner wars but that's being pedantic. Really we've already had an '86 theme in Combiner Wars and an '87 theme in Titans Return. The gimmicks have diminishing returns after the Headmasters and Powermasters. I can't imagine basing a modern line on Micromasters. To be honest i think Micromasters is a good way of keep the Titan Master price line going, but that's another digression.

7. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm enjoying the more esoteric string of releases we've started to have in TR, especially the headmasters, targetmasters etc. But HasTak aren't stupid, and they're not going to release new versions of characters that have no chance of selling. Whoever pushed for the inclusion of Doublecross/Twinferno as a deluxe probably had to make a very tough sell to the execs of the two companies, and I suspect the inclusion of a Twinferno in RID helped somewhat.

I don't think we're going to see pretenders next year or the year after, but I do think we'll start seeing those characters in some form. And if there's any chance of getting any of the action masters with proper transformable bodies... I'm in. Jackpot and Rad for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That'd be great. Mainframe and Skyfall? Maybe even a Banzaitron if we're good. Actual transforming Action Masters. I'd laugh my head off and buy them all.

9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So went a Back to Basics Line in 2019 stated of '84 Autobots and Decepticons, again than 2020 with the '85 Autobots and Decepticons, AGAIN than 2021 with the '86 Autobots and Decepticons, AGAIN! Well can we've just have a line with The Autobots and Decepticons that hadn't been remake from Prime Wars get remake in here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well of course Fun Pub did plenty over the years as exclusives, including Banzaitron, Slicer and Jackpot. But they don't exactly count.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When beast wars the original rid the unicron trilogy i am tire of g1 evrything the people that grew up in 90s 00s also have right you know

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    How about no....

Combiner Wars and Titan Returns was great because both lines were made up of mostly characters that hadn't been done to death since 2001. Let's have more characters that need updates instead from G1 and the other lines over another blasted Prime, Megatron, Starscream, and Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 5
  13. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

How about, instead, they do Beast Wars updates in 2019, Beast Machines 2020, RID in 2021, Armada in 2022, and etc.?

• Like Like x 2
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Holy cow, someone wants '84-'85 AGAIN?! That is pretty nearly the last thing we need.

Like someone else said, the occasional figure, sure, of course. Like I think most of us can agree they need to do the Dinobots. But a redux of the entire '84-'85 cast? Please no. Maybe 10 years from now.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Especially Bumblebee, gosh I am so sick of 'bees.

TR is the FIRST time a lot of characters have been done since their original G1 toys, like Skullcruncher, Highbrow and Mindwipe. Lets keep that train rolling. Last time they did an '84 cast they were all (with the exception of Trailbreaker) a downgrade from their previous attempts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. slochmoeller

To be fair, how many G1 Bumblebees have there been since the rights were restored in 06? 3? 4 if you count WFC? 5 if Masterpiece? Those numbers are on par with other top g1 characters in the same time period.

17. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    True... :oops: 

18. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    EXACTLY!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Generations was at its best in 2014 with the Thrilling Thirty. Characters from all over the multiverse were getting attention. Unfortunately, a diverse line is harder for Hasbro to promote, thus the introduction of gimmicks in the Prime Wars. Personally, I'm hoping a gimmick gives way to more of a theme for the third part of the trilogy -- Beasts. It's still as marketable, but does lose the interplay-feature seen in CW and TR.

But as for post-Prime Wars, it will really come down to a matter of "who's left?" to do in Generations.

20. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with them filling in the gaps of the figures they haven't done recently from 84-85 and including the beast combiner and dinobots. I also am curious if they have a specific plan to redo the G1 characters that have shown up in RID cartoon.