Post-BotCon 2013 ebay exclusive resales breakdown

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a judgement of the demand for the individual BotCon 2013 exclusives, I did some research on their immediate resale value on ebay.

I'm broken them down from least in costly to most... statistics as of 7/3/2013. Prices include shipping. Number of completed auctions include sold and unsold, as well as well as individual and mixed lots.

Name - Number of auctions mentioning this figure, lowest individual sale price-highest individual sale price

Bitstream -237, $40.11-69.98
    Hotlink - 238, $41.99-69.98
    Thundercracker - 138, $45.76-72.98
    Skywarp - 36, $51.00-69.88
    Obsidian - 47, $51.00-103.95
    Hoist - 38, $51.30-86.30
    Sandstorm - 142, $51.89-91.39
    Megaplex - 39, $52.00-124.35
    Sunstorm - 250, $60.00-109.98
    Blastcharge - 102, $64.99-$185.40
    Electron - 41, $69.99-95.99
    Strika - 38, $76-132.55
    Starscream - 89, $80.00-159.40

2. zelse

zelse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting, Strika is more than Obsidian? and the welcoming party has a lower average then Electro/sandstorm. weird.

3. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair to the Welcoming Committee, while they may have sold for less, there were tons more sold in the same time period than any other figures. This probably depressed their sales cost. When you only sell 41 Electrons and 230 Bitstreams, obviously the Bitstream will sell for less if they have equal demand.

4. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No data for the Depth Charge figures yet eh?

Ugh... maybe I don't wanna know... I'm seeing bids for the carded one at 15 and 20 bucks currently with 5 hours left... >_<

5. zelse

zelse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    are you just tracking individuals? no sets?

6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Interesting that the "freebie" figure seems to be going for the most. I mean, it makes complete sense, but it's still interesting.

7. zelse

zelse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its usually the one that holds its value the most. Damn Slicer....:lol 

8. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since i used the search function, I counted by auction title. This may lead to lower numbers of the main 5 set, as those are sold together in large numbers.

9. zelse

zelse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance you'll work on a stockticker like app for Transformer ebay prices? I need to know when to invest in black repaits. hahaha

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We should also compare to relative cost. I am including sales tax 8%, a 10% ebay fee and a 4% paypal.

Formula: Cost = Retail Cost * Taxes (1.08) * Ebay+Paypal (1.14)
    Retail Cost = Set Cost / Figures or Set Cost / Figure Size
    Freebie = 0 or difference between Boxset and Looseset cost

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  11. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems to me that this year's Botcon set isn't really appealing to that many collectors. I guess it makes sense since the Machine Wars nostalgia only caters to a select market (which apparently isn't that big since Machine Wars itself was never that popular). I can see these figures going down in value for many reasons (all of which are my opinions).

1) Funpub won't use Unicron Trilogy molds anymore. It sucks because a lot of Unicron Trilogy figures are REALLY good and would have worked perfectly.

2) This leads to an increase usage in Movie-verse and apparently Prime style molds. Trying to mix and match Movie, Prime, and CHUG aesthetics will rarely (if ever) work.

3) The inclusion of Strika and Obsidian in the Machine Wars homage set/fiction makes no sense at all. Prowl, Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave, and Hubcap should have been included.

The set as a whole just doesn't seem to mesh well at all. Like I said before, Movie-verse and Prime styles don't work with Classics style toys. It's like trying to stick Classics Cyclonus and DoTM Wheeljack in an Animated display. Why FP won't use Unicron Trilogy molds is beyond me. At least they seem to work with Classics styled figures. No one here can tell me MW Sandstorm wouldn't have looked better using the Energon Bulkhead mold.

12. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

If 2012's Octopunch/Spinister set is any judge of things, the bottom soon will or already has fallen out of just about everything except Starscream and the rainmakers (together or separately). People knew at the end of Botcon that the Thundercracker/Mirage and Sandstorm/Electron sets would be showing up at the club store. I wondered about Blastcharge and the Kreon set but they are there too now. Even the box set itself has leftovers they are selling. (I wonder if they even have leftover Starscreams that they are stuck with.) The box set and its toys individually might hang on in eBay since they are always the main focus of the convention, but I wouldn't bet money on that or anything.

I'm not entirely sure of your counting method there, the majority of eBay auctions keep the original sets together but you are showing all the figures separately. I just took a quick look at completed listings for the rainmaker set, the most recent sales are hovering in the $140-$150 area, I jumped back and landed on June 29 sales and they were hitting $190-$200 at the time. That's about on par for the troop builder 3 packs of the past, and that's pretty darn good considering they seem to be the only thing this year that people want. I wouldn't have been surprised if I had seen them starting at $250 and leveling at $200. Assuming the supply holds up, and even selling out that's a safe assumption based on past experience, they should hold at $140-$150 for at least the next several months.

Starscream hitting $160 is impressive for the Primus set extra figure, though it is Starscream after all. I imagine that price was recorded during Botcon weekend and hasn't hit anything near that since Botcon ended. Seeing some of the Voyager class toys hitting lows that are lower than the Deluxe class toys is also a little startling.

13. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    No Mirage?

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Sadly, the Machine Wars set is just a bit of sad proof that collectors' opinions should be taken with a grain of salt - a lot of fans often say we get too much Optimus/Megatron/Bumblebee etc already and that the Collector Club should focus on making more niche "fan favorites". Unfortunately - if you take a look at the best selling (and often highest after market values) - those characters are mostly just another version of popular characters like Optimus/Megatron etc (See SG Prime/SG Rodimus/SG Megs/BW Megs/BW Primal). I do agree that FP didn't help themselves either by choosing to include non MW characters like Strika and Obsidian - from the already not so popular BM - into the mix.

15. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Totally disagree. Energon Bulkhead would NOT look better. Plus, I think a lot of people are tired of the Unicron Trilogy molds.

I still am curious as to where Mirage fits in on the list from the original post. He seems to be omitted. I would think he would be one of the more popular toys from this year's offerings.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It only gets tiring if they don't use it properly. Some of the Unicron Trilogy molds can still be made into some pretty awesome updates.

Case in point

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/349721-dai-atlas-rebirth.html

17. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
  18. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    So you honestly think that this:

[​IMG]

Looks better than this:

[​IMG]

And that these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Were better mold choices than these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you really think the molds chosen were better than anything A/E/C molds had to offer, then more power to you. Like my old math teacher used to say: different strokes for different folks.

Attached Files:

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

For one, those two are some of the most popular characters to come out of Beast Machines, to the point where Strika has been featured in other fiction. As for them being non-MW characters, FunPub already stated that the set was more of a continuation of MW than a rehash, which means adding new characters makes total sense.

I'll agree that the Energon Starscream mold would have been a better aesthetic fit with the set than Prime Dreadwing, but the others are purely subjective. I think Sandstorm looks great as-is, and while the Dirge mold wouldn't be my first choice for TC/SW, the Cybertron TC mold is pretty terrible in my opinion.

20. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    I'll agree that the entire "argument" is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz. I guess something else we may agree on is Botcon MW Starscream. He's smaller than the original MW Starscream and he uses a movie-verse mold...yet I love the hell out of that figure. Not sure what it is, but I think Botcon MW Starscream is easily the best Botcon Homage since the Dawn of Future's past set.