Possible MP-44+ & MP Hoist/Trailbreaker repaint..

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by optimalprimus, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I think 44S looks fine as a toy homage and I have him on the shelf stickered up next to ML Prime. But imo Takara made the right call with the white thighs on toon Prime. It doesn't matter to me what a colour in the toon was supposed to represent. I want it to look like the toon. I would have preferred they went even further and gave Prime white fuel tanks and smokestacks. But I'm definitely extreme toon on the toon deco spectrum.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very extreme! :D  I guess that's where we differ - I want it to look like the toon (although admittedly I'm not a "full toon" advocate), but to me, looking like the toon involves using silver where the cartoon was using white or grey to represent silver. I'd definitely hate white smokestacks! As I say, though, I love the way MP-44 looks with white thighs so I can make an exception there. ;) 

As for MP-44S, the one thing I don't like is the way the yellow eyes look. At first I thought the yellow was all wrong, but as @Sam pointed out up-thread (in a rather uncharacteristically swear-y outburst :D  ), the yellow is actually spot-on to the toy. The problem is the silver surrounding area - the toy is blue around the eyes, not silver, and the silver washes the yellow out in my opinion.

So, rather than painting the original piece, since I'm learning 3D printing and Blender at the moment, I figured this was a good excuse to practise by creating a replacement part and printing it out in black (it really needs painting dark blue):

2-sockets-front.jpg

I like the way this looks much more than the silver (but I can always switch back if I change my mind):

4-results.jpg

with-original.jpg

This also makes a pretty great Marvel Optimus:

marvel-compare.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  3. Paco Grande

I understand completely why you did it, but I think I prefer the silver face for some reason. You did a great job modeling that face part! At first I thought you painted a spare Takara part. What type of printer are you using? I don't see any print lines on the part. Did you sand it after?

• Like Like x 2
  4. ambitron

News Credits:
    Fair enough - I love the Marvel comics so with this mod am just happy to have a version of Prime that looks much like he did there.

And cheers! I'm using an Elegoo Mars 4 Ultra with GratKit ABS-like black resin, and I printed using a 0.02mm layer height with the part at an angle so the lines are barely visible.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Paco Grande

Do you mean 0.2mm layer height? I didn't think .02mm would be possible unless it was a VERY expensive printer. .02mm is .0008 inches. The printer I use at the office prints at .25mm or something and the lines are super obvious. But I mostly print electronics enclosures prototypes so it doesn't matter.

6. ambitron

News Credits:
    No, definitely 0.02mm - 20 microns. The Mars 4 Ultra (which costs under £300) can go as low as 0.01mm apparently, but 0.02 is the thinnest I've tried. It's a resin printer, though, and resin printers can print *much* thinner layers than FDM printers. They're also a lot messier and require a lot of faff to make sure you aren't exposed to nasty chemicals and fumes. (I got it for Christmas without knowing enough about resin printing, then read up on it and I ended up spending much more on safety equipment.)

Sunbow and Marvel (sort of) together:

sunbox+marvel.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Paco Grande

Thank for the info. That's amazing, but too bad about the fumes. We have an FDM printer I believe and getting an SLA soon. All the printers release fumes that are not good for humans. Some much worse than others.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I talked myself out of getting 44S but I gave in a few weeks ago and I've had him now for about a week. Love him! I have the KO which I had modded to be more toy looking but this version is just so much more solid, tighter, and the paint looks so much better than the KO's unpainted plastic.

There's definitely diminishing returns in reducing your layer height. I tried 10 microns on my Mars 2 and it actually made things worse. The Mars 2 has pixels roughly 50 microns, while the Mars 4 has 18 micron pixels, though, so matching that resolution vertically makes more sense. The problem is that light doesn't just stop penetrating the resin just because the platform didn't move as high. I'm pretty sure that's why trying to print at 10 microns went badly for me - the platform was moving less and the light was on for a shorter time, but it's still going just as far into the resin so all I was doing was making the printed parts less cured and therefore weaker while I was also probably curing a layer on top of what I was trying to print. In my tests, I found that going down to 20 microns gave a noticeable improvement over a 40 micron layer height, but 10 microns was either a wash or sometimes worse.

I'm jealous of your Mars 4 and I'm honestly kind of tempted to spring for one but I'd better not. Maybe if I ever get around to getting back into selling prints, I'll use the money from that to buy a new printer. I haven't done any printing in a few months - I have limited space and that space is currently full of another project (which is being ignored and gathering dust) but I do intend to get back to it. When I do, I'll have to see if I can find a paint that matches 44S's blue and print some toy heads. There was a 3P working on a head but I haven't heard a peep from them since December.

• Like Like x 4
  9. ambitron

News Credits:
    I wasn't going to get him either - it was only when I mocked up in Affinity Photo how he would look with dark blue around the yellow eyes instead of the silver that I decided to go for it, and I'm glad he did, as he looks great.

All good to know, thanks! I'm still learning - it took me about a month of many failed prints after Christmas to figure out how to get my settings and supports right, and I'm only just getting to grips with the principles of topology after spending ages on Blender and subd tutorials (and I still have a *long* way to go). Likewise with the principles of 3D printing. I haven't tried 10 microns yet, but then 20 microns looks great to me as long as the print angle is right (it will still show as obvious thin layer lines on a straight nose if I don't tilt the head model sideways, for instance). I hope you get back into it soon, as your MP-44 toy head is awesome (I bought a copy), as are the other models you've posted in Radicons. It was your work and the way I couldn't even tell that head was printed, along with some of the other models in Radicons such as those of The Madness, that made up my mind to try out 3D printing in the first place.

And talking of finding a match to MP-44S's blue, if anyone here has any idea on that, let me know, as I really want to paint the eye sockets I printed to match the helmet colour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    How does he stack up with MS-02 to ya? Saw you had him a bit ago and am kinda considering one of the two. Though it’s not as easy choosing as I thought.

11. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a tough one. I really love MS-02 but, even though his details are tampos, he just somehow doesn't seem to fit the toy aesthetic as well. Probably doesn't help that he's got those obnoxious thumbtack headlights. Still, MS-02 is nothing to sneeze at and he wins when it comes to the windshield - it's a nice satisfying smoked color in both modes while with 44S they made the inexplicable decision to give the truck dark windows but the bot still has blue. I can't really point to anything specific about 44S that makes him better but, of the two, I just think he works better. MS-02 is still my favorite Optimus mold of all time and the painted EX version is my toon Optimus. I think you can't really go wrong either way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StarscreamX

StarscreamX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see a number of MP-44S photos where the knee caps don't align too well (not centered).

Seems mine is the worst offender here. Did I transform it incorrectly?

knee.jpg

13. Paco Grande

It's most likely that the double knee ratchets aren't in the correct positions. MP-44 had a lockout that prevented that from happening. Many people had it break so for MP-49 and 44S they removed the lockout. So now you need to adjust the two ratchets manually to make sure the knee is where you want it to be. But that's in the vertical direction. You have a massive gap below the left knee there. As far as left to right, is everything tabbed in on both sides of the knee? Also, there are tiny little parts on the inside (crotch) side of the leg that need to rotate. They don't look rotated there. But that most likely won't help that offset issue. Not sure what else to suggest.

• Like Like x 2
  14. StarscreamX

News Credits:
    I transformed the legs over again as per your suggestion and both knee caps still don't look right (aligned to the outer side of the leg). Photos below:

leg1.jpg leg2.jpg

15. Lklee78

Lklee78 Autobot

They look ok to me. That’s the way they are.

• Like Like x 2
  16. chockey88

chockey88 koolkollectibleskhai

Here are my two and their knees. Not completely centred but not as gappy as yours. Maybe just try moving the knee pads up and down on their sliding mechanism?

1000004398.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. StarscreamX

News Credits:
    Moving the knee pads didn't do anything for me. Looks like the angle at which the photo is taken gives the illusion the knee pads look "centered".

l.jpg

18. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

I'm pretty experienced with MP-44 and I gotta say man that looks pretty good to me. Like I'm 99% sure you've done it right. I don't think they're 100% smack in the middle

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Correctly rotate the inside-knee part so that it’s facing forward and it’ll look a lot more centred (same advice for @ambitron up thread who also forgot to rotate that part on those latest 44S pics :wink: )

• Like Like x 3
  20. StarscreamX

News Credits:
    That was it!! Thank you so much Sam!!

• Like Like x 1