Possible Alternators/Binaltech Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by quantumhawk, May 31, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I totally understand. I don't mean to sound so diehard about this design but...I haven't felt this good about Megatron since G1. I can't wait to see what other designs pop up next.

2. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

dimensions for a 1:24 M1
    L: 407mm
    W: 152.5mm
    H: 101.6mm
    so waaaaaay outside alt scale

usual military kit scale is 1:35
    L: 279mm
    W: 104mm
    H: 69mm

seems way more likely

3. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

1:32 surely? or at least thats the case in UK and Japan

4. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Tamiya have a vast, really vast range of military stuff in 1/35 and a number of other companies follow suit.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Ditto.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

1/35 is the standard scale for ground based military models. Aircraft are done in smaller scales, and ships are made in much smaller scales. 1/32 is usually reserved for model cars, but isn't as common as 1/24 and 1/25.

EDIT: Aircraft are also sometimes done in 1/32 scale. Been too long since I've regularly built models. :redface2: 

7. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I have to say it's either fake or it's altered.

1. The font is wrong.

The title/header on the Megatron image is set in Arial with tracking of -50.

All the cybertron color guides and the Alternator color guide for Tracks use Verdana tracked out to 16.

You can test this in Illustrator yourself.

2. The terms are wrong.

Above the plastic colors is the title "Base colors."

All the color guides I've seen (going back to Armada) refer to "Mold colors." This includes Alternators.

Conclusion: I think it's pretty clear that this didn't come from "Aaron's desk," and I'd imagine that Verdana is probably the corporate typeface for internal paperwork at Hasbro.

This color guide could have come from Takara's side, but then the text would have been in Japanese.

Maybe part of the text was translated and removed, maybe just the Megatron image is legit. Who knows. But this file is totally inconsistant with every other authenticated color guide on the web.

I'm going to check the fonts against the Smokescreen Sideways to see if that one's in Arial or Verdana.

8. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In case anyone is wondering where the other half of his tracks are, look closely to his leg that is turned to the side. The way the tread goes around the split part on the bottom, how far out in front of his leg the track/wheels are and the hint of another tread behind it.

I think the tread just folds up behind itself. Which is cool in it's own right and suggests a higher attention to detail that would come with being a Alt/Masterpiece. :cool: 

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

agreed. To precise for fanart...it has practical applications. The questions are
    1. Is this an upcoming design for future use, or a design that was turned down?
    2. What does it go to? (the movie, alt, masterpiece)

10. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

If it's real (and I hope it is), the transformation's fairly ingenious. The arms are the rotating turret (split in half, with each half further separating at the elbow), the legs appear to be the underside of the front half of the tank, and the chest (not the G-1 torso) is the underside of the tank's rear armour and axle casing. I can't tell exactly, but it seems like the treads are designed to fold in half (and you'll notice that they're rubber - the plastic and paint guide references the wheels within the treads, NOT the treads themselves). The hinge would be on top of the tread fenders. It's a shame we can't see the back.

I dunno. It smells real to me, but my Inner Skeptic (that bastard) won't let me fully believe it yet. For the guy who said the torso is too G-1, I direct you Rumble, who has a tape cassette chest, despite being a Honda, or Tracks, who has a completely ancillary roof piece to mimic the old toy. The LACK of surface detail is actually what's selling me - Fan art (I know; I've drawn my fair share) tends to have detail all over the place, whereas this only has it where detail would actually appear.

M1 tanks don't have a ton of external panels, so it makes sense that they'd be missing here (they don't exist). The Galvatron colorguide has lots of detail because that toy had oodles of sculptwork, whereas most Alternators do not. Real-world vehicles tend to be constructed more simplistically than we as fans might hope for.

A truly conceptual sketch might have all sorts of ancillary bolts and so forth, but those details rarely make it to this stage, which appears to be for a final, approved toy. If it's real, it's not just a concept. It's something far enough into the pipeline whereby someone needs to know how to paint it.

If this is simply a piece of fanart, it's more than that. It's A) a masterpiece, and B) a cruel hoax intentionally designed to deceive.

Let's hope it isn't.

Edit - Something else that's leaning me toward this being legitimate - The arm cannon isn't G1 ENOUGH for a fanwank hoax. I can't even tell what the hell it is. If this was a fan trying to mess with other fans, he'd have to be a pretty enormous asshole to stray that far from the original cannon just to throw everyone off (well, me anyway).

11. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    EXCELLENT rebuttle:cool:  that didn't even cross my mind.

12. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Doesnt Cybertron Soundwave have a casette chamber on his chest?

13. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Here's an graph of what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

The top comparison shows how the Megatron Color Guide uses Arial as its font. Arial is NOT used on any Hasbro Color Guides.

That and "Base colors" replacing "Mold colors" makes me very curious about the file.

Sure, there's no rule that says Hasbro needs to use Verdana on their color guides. But why on earth would they change it for this SINGLE file?

The figure design could still be legit, but I sincerely doubt that the color guide text is. Either it was translated, or it was altered. If the color guide started out as a vector image encapsulated in a PDF, someone could have accidentally replaced the Verdana with Arial, but the Arial should have taken the spacing of the Verdana in that translation.

14. zotmogronn

zotmogronn TIGER JAWS OF DEATH.

Have you even seen the G1 cartoon? That's exactly what he was.

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    G1 is the only Megatron who ever passed out drunk outdoors. That's the only Megatron I need.

16. Shepp

Shepp Maverick Hunter

Ebay:
    you know, if this indeed was supposed to be classics megs, i want to personally throttle the fandom for insisting that megs must be a gun. (edit: although the current classics megatron looks cool, the robot mode is hardly accurate and neither is the gun mode. i'll still be getting that megs anyways)

as for an alternator, i'd welcome this addition as long as the robot mode stands with a height close to alt optimus.

however, i'm hoping this will be MP-05.

in a way, this is what titanium megs should have been.

its too blocky for the movie (from the information that i've gathered)

regardless of what series this is for, i want it. and if it is made, i shall buy it.

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hoping the first statement is true as well and as for the second statement... Hell Ya I'm going to get this if it turns out to be true!!!

18. zotmogronn

zotmogronn TIGER JAWS OF DEATH.

If this is a masterpiece,I hope he would have an opening chest as seen on Beast Wars.

19. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

Your right, it looks similar to the top loading 40mm Heckler & Koch Grenade Pistol from the PSOne game Dino Crisis 1, or a top loading rocket launcher similar to a number of horror survival games.

In either case, a very military like weapon normally found, and not at all like G1 Meg's fusion cannon. :rock 

20. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

If this turns out to be an actual toy--I have no idea myself, so I'm just hedging my bets--it's certainly going to be an interesting Megatron.

14 pages of "it's real"/"no it isn't" is a bit much to read, though.... :D