Poor Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ChrisLHanssen, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ChrisLHanssen

ChrisLHanssen From the desk of TBSKLF

What the hell did Hasbro do to poor Ratchet. I took some pics of the 2 Ratchet's I have. Why did Hasbro demote him? I mean I got the Voyager Class the first one I got from the original movie line and now when he is in the NEST Global Alliance line he is now a Deluxe Class. So why could they leave him as a Voyager Class as they did with Ironhide from the NEST Global Alliance line?

Poor Ratchet. Deluxe Class NEST Global Alliance Ratchet is now smaller than Chromia, Arcee, Starscream, and Deluxe Class NEST Global Alliance Bumblebee.

Whats your views on this?

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I like the larger, original one better and do not plan on buying the skinny, tiny version.

3. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

I really don't see why this is a cause for concern. Hasbro routinely makes characters in multiple size classes. Furthermore, just as the Voyager Ironhide and Ratchet molds are roughly in scale with Leader Optimus and Deluxe Bumblebee, this and the forthcoming deluxe Ironhide will be in scale with the new Voyager Optimus. Scale aside, it's also more affordable for kids who want the character but might not be able to get their parents to buy a $20-30 toy.

Are you complaining that they didn't release a remolded Voyager class a la Jungle Ironhide?

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Funny, my views are precisely reversed.

The alt mode on the Voyager is better, but it's a car I hate anyway. The robot mode on the Deluxe is much better, and I prefer the smaller size (and smaller price). Goes better with Decepticons.

As if that weren't enough, another version of the Voyager is an upcoming release, so what are you upset about? Why aren't we both allowed to be happy? :p 

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Deluxe Ratchet will go great with Deluxe Ironhide, Voyager Prime and whatever other dudes we get that squeeze into scale.

6. ChrisLHanssen

ChrisLHanssen From the desk of TBSKLF

Well I got mine for free.

So why are they changing the scale of the figures? I thought the scale of the figures now are fine and should not be changed.

7. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    to compliment lockdown?
    seriously it's a really good toy, the bike sisters are too large anyway even for ratchet at voyager size

8. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    to compliment lockdown?
    seriously it's a really good toy, the bike sisters are too large anyway even for ratchet at voyager size

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    There's a multitude of reasons, one being not everyone can afford Voyager figures, and also because Ratchet is a more popular name.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I like the 'lil Ratchet, and am digging what I'm seeing of the new Deluxe Ironhide too.

My guess is that it's more financially viable for Hasbro to give us new molds of these guys in deluxe scale. Deluxe has always been the best seller for the movie line. I think making new molds for a popular size class is a safer bet than committing more development time, money and effort into the Voyager class which has a harder time selling.

That and the smaller guys seem to have much more interesting design aspects lately. And that's always a plus.

11. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I dont like the alt mode for the deluxe Ratchet. For me, the idea of a deluxe Ratchet was kind of a head-scratcher. Ratchet has been on shelfwarme duty since, well, the first movie. Now, alot of the box-stores around me, have Ratchet hanging around, in 2 flavors.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro has been offering the same character in multiple size classes for years now. Nothing new.

I also suspect that the Takara designers just like taking a crack at redesigning older characters and improving on them. Look at "Battle Blades" OP and BB. I think "Battle Blades" is some kind of codeword for "awesome." Also, Leader Starscream. Also, the entire Classics line and sequels.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I really hope they take ideas from both and give us a new Voyager mold for Ratchet in the third movie. I don't think either version of him is great, but they both have some decent aspects.

14. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love this version a lot more than the Voyager, the Bot mode looks considerably better.

Also if you're worried about scale, there is a Deluxe Ironhide coming out and you can always use the Voyager versions of the Leaders to keep to scale.

15. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Personally I've long loathed the Voyager size figure and think the Deluxe is a better fit overall.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think Deluxe Ratchet is a great figure. Only thing wrong with him is the gun mechanism.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I wish everything was Deluxe.

18. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Like SethBuzzard said scale is a horrible hangup to have in this fandom

19. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The more small autobots the better
    the movie cons are so big they don't look right next to the old voyager bots
    I look forward to deluxe ironhide and hope for a scout sized bb and jazz
    it's more realistic to ask for smaller autobots then leader sized cons

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Scale means nothing to me. Deluxe Ratchet is all round a much closer realization of the Movie character. Voyager is a very good toy, but the Deluxe is in my mind all around the better package.

Honestly, I'd be happy for the entire line to be Scouts and Deluxes, with the bigger toys being only occasional releases. Deluxes and Scouts have really started to shine since Animated, and while the Voyagers and up are still excellent, I just plain prefer the smaller toys.