3D Print: "Polynian" style 1/12 Armada Sureshock! (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Delta Magnus, May 19, 2024.

1. Delta Magnus

Delta Magnus Noise Tank

Mini-cons are cool! They're cute, fun little pocket/desk toys with unique designs and often have a lot of really neat gimmicks (even aside from their interactivity with larger toys).

Now I'm sure we all remember the Street Action team from Armada/Micron Legend. Aside from their starring role in the anime, they also had some really neat designs and unique altmodes. And they were a combiner! I never had them as a kid but I always had a soft spot for them. A shame they go for so much on the aftermarket, I kinda want 'em.

Anyway, whilst the original toys are pretty damn good for 2" figures from 2002 who retailed for, what, £5 for all three (oh, those were the days...) an idea occurred to me. Being as they were the size of the main human trio, whilst TF scaled ones are always going to be pretty limited in articulation, ones scaled to 1/12 figures (like Figmas and such) would be pretty awesome!

As such, I set to work on Blender, and have managed to design what will hopefully be the first of the team- Sureshock! She's going to be nontransformable due to my lack of engineering acumen, and the nightmare that a transforming figure of this scale made of resin would be (even if she eschews the Perceptor combination) but she should be highly poseable. I'm currently printing the parts for her as we speak on my Elegoo Mars 3 Pro.

She's divided into the following parts:
    >Head
    >Chest
    >Torso
    >Biceps
    >Forearms
    >Hands (2 sets)
    >Arm kibble
    >Thighs
    >Shins
    >Feet

Articulation will be provided via Hobby Base joints, which are cheap (import fees from Japan aside), versatile and modular. I have tried using printed resin joints and it didn't end well.

She's a little stylized compared to her show model. For one thing, I wanted to have a bit of fun with the design, for another reference material was pretty limited for her (her scanning scene provided a great reference for the overall shape though) and also her show design is quite simplistic. Plus, the changes I made will allow for more articulation (a chest joint, separate feet etc). I took some inspiration from the Polynian line of action figures, as they use the same basic joint system I'm using, are 1/12 scale robots, and are very cute.

I foolishly neglected to take many screenshots but here's the parts in a front-on orthographic view...
    [​IMG]
    One feature you can't see here is that her backpack has an oversized Mini-con port on it!

Anyway, I'll be sure to post more once she's printed, and again of course when I've painted her.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Delta Magnus

Delta Magnus Noise Tank

Print finished, parts cured and assembled!
    Sureshock1.jpg
    Had to do some joint tolerance tweaks with a bit of superglue to get the Hobby Base joints to stay firmly in their sockets, but she's pretty solid!
    Sureshock2.jpg
    Here she is from the back, showing off the inner details of the scooter kibble and also her powerlinx port on her backpack!
    Sureshock3.jpg
    Whilst quite short, she's pretty bulky. Not too difficult to pose though, I managed to get some decent range out of the joints.

Anyway, next up will be painting!

• Like Like x 10
  3. Midwest Jhiaxus

Midwest Jhiaxus Well-Known Member

impressive-most-impressive-590e4e.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    she looks incredibly cute
    are you going to sell the files?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Delta Magnus

Delta Magnus Noise Tank

Thank you! I might very well, yes- just need to start a Cults3D page.