Polygon Pictures Confirms Work On Transformers: Robots In Disguise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jun 14, 2014.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome news! I hope it's still CG.

3. AnnaLK

AnnaLK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome news!

4. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Nice!

They started out TFP season 1 with it looking pretty nice, and by season 3 their work was stunning. Especially the lighting.

Maybe with the mix of 2D and 3D they won't be as limited with scenery/models this time around.

5. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Transformers: Prime CGI was first-class. These guys are one of the best around. I'm sure they'll deliver some cool stuff for the new show.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's awesome. :)  Can't wait to see what they'll do for the animation for the new show.

7. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    Does this mean ridiculously detailed Transformers again? Because I want Autobots to show up that aren't just the main characters... I wouldn't mind something similar to what Tron Uprising did to stay away from looking boring, but I doubt that'll happen. Not saying that it's poor quality, but when your show suffers from being so limited with characters, I'm not gonna be a fan.

8. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I heard its 2D-Animation. Like a traditional cartoon, but still with the Prime style.

Well... it looked good for an animated TV-series, no doubt, but the only thing really "jaw-dropping" about Prime IMO was Frank Welker's return as Megatron.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Let's not oversell them. They were good, but they were not perfect. Their characters often seemed far too bouncing, lip movements didn't always line up, characters eyes would often go nuts, etc.

They are absolutely not the best around, but they're one aspect of Prime I am not at all bothered by it's return. I just wish the character designs were more unique and creatively designed, but that's not on Polygon.

It's 3D. The very first bit of news told us it would be 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. People just assume it's 2D because of the character drawings, but it is 3D.

I still wouldn't call that "jaw-dropping." He always sounded like he was struggling to maintain that voice, an failing.

His attempt at a quieter, more subdued Megatron voice that wouldn't strain him fell flat when the writers still gave him shouty lines, because characters need a range of vocal emotion, not just a monotone. Then again much like dial-tone Optimus I blame any shortcomings with Megs' voice squarely on the pitiful voice direction rather than Welker himself.

Perhaps the simpler designs will allow for more cast members to show up and stay showed-up, but CGI will always have limits. Usually budgetary. It takes time, effort, and money to make CGI models and animate them.

10. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    A lot of shows even ones that are praised a lot by people are going to have their own share of animation flaws one way or another though and Prime's no different. Besides Polygon's come a long way since they first started on Prime so I'm looking forward to what they have to bring to the next show which I'm sure will also have some animation errors somehow too.

11. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Polygon Pictures is an animation studio. To my understanding, they don't decide what the characters look like. They model what they're handed, and did a fine job of doing so for TFP.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    That's all true.

It still doesn't make them "the best there is" though. I like Polygon, their models were very well made. As much as I dislike the Prime aesthetic, I can still see the amount of effort that went into some of the models.

In fact, it's funny you mention it, because Prime as a show started off far better-looking than what it eventually became.

yep.

Any hang-ups as far as individual character designs go isn't Polygon's field. There's likely a level of feedback from polygon like "this shape won't work here, but it will here" to tweak the designs to better fit three-dimensions, but ultimately the look is decided elsewhere.

The amount of characters present is and isn't up to Polygon, since as I said, they can only make as much given how much of a budget they're given.

13. Antimatter

Antimatter Well-Known Member

I wasn't particularly impressed by the animation for Prime, especially the staging and direction for the animation. There were also definitely little mishaps here and there, too. Not really pleased it's the same writing AND animation team- it really is just going to be Prime 2, even with a seemingly lighter tone.

14. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah season 1 was pretty rough. By season 3 it looked like most of the kinks were worked out. Although, it's not clear what was Polygon and what was SilverAnt.

My personal opinion is the issue wasn't so much the models, but the complex transformations, as they needed a model just for mid-transformation. If they had used, say, BW simplicity for the transformation, that alone would've freed up...math might be off but I believe 26 models? So if they only needed 2 per character, thatd be 13 more possible characters?

And frankly, the transformations were so fast I didn't feel it was worth their time to devote that much effort to them.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, I hope whoever makes decisions for the new show works smarter to maximize what they can get with CGI.

15. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Not a lot of people here are saying that they are the best but they're certainly not saying it's horrible either. When Polygon gave it their best in some of the show's animations it really does show.

Uh...Not sure if I agree with your opinion on the show looking far better when it first started but then again this is all opinions in the end so no hard feelings

16. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And is this means they'll have the models from before. So here's to hoping those can be cheaply tweaked to fit the new aesthetic for some returning character goodies.

17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Good to hear.

18. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    The Animation was good. But I guess some words on the news post are too strong. :) 

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  19. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome! I loved how Prime looked.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well atleast we're getting quality animation.