Poll: which comic series is better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DoctorFunnyAF, Nov 17, 2017.

?

Which series is better? Should we go back to Autobot V Decepticon war?

1. Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor

2. Lost Light

3. Optimus Prime

4. Yes

5. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DoctorFunnyAF

DoctorFunnyAF Active Member

Ive seen a lot of people raving over Rom Vs. Transformers so I just got curious and what's everyone's favorite transformers comic series as of now? There's good parts to all, bad parts to all, but I'm enjoying the current slate for sure.

Also a second part, answer yes or no to this. I've seen some people complain that the earth stories and drama is bland, That we should go back to a regular autobot vs. decepticon war. Should we in some form or another?

Just curious!

2. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Personally, i think that when all these comics started out, they were taking IDW in no different direction then Revolution did (which in my mind is downwards).
    LL is starting to feel more like a MTMTE squeal again and it is getting to where it needs to be.
    As for OP and Shining Armour, i haven't been up to date on those series so i cant talk about that much, but from what i've read of OP, it was decent, but again, not what we needed.

For the second part, absolutely. Megs is in a new universe now and the only reason i didn't want the war to start up again earlier on was because I couldn't stand the sight and effect that him changing factions would have on the LL crew and the rest of the transformers. Now that hes gone, I think soundwave should have some big event happen to him like have all his cassets killed by humans and he takes control of the decepticon army and fights the humans, eventually fighting the autobots.

We also don't know what impactor and his gang are up to so they could spark something big.
    For now we just have to wait, because we all know that no big plot reveal will come out for another year:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

For me personally I feel like Rom vs. TF is the best of the three. OP and LL both have their ups and downs while Rom vs. TF has been consistently interesting and good. I like getting little bits of information about the organic versus mechanical prejudices in the universe, among other things. Although the reason why Rom vs. TF is great might be because it's short. It has one specific story to focus on then it's over. With ongoings there will always be those dry/slow moments we have to endure.

And should the war start up again? I've actually been thinking about that for a while and I kinda have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it's cool to see individual autobots and decepticons being treated as... individuals. There are good decepticons. There are bad autobots. And the current stories really force us to see that complexity. But at the same time, one of the reasons why I like Rom vs. TF is because it brings back the plain old war of bots against cons, good against evil. It was honestly kinda refreshing to have that simplicity back even for a little while. So I guess my answer is if IDW can do it a believeable and compelling way, then I might be fine with the war coming back.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Haven't read Rom vs... yet, but the latest LL was tops again and i can't imagine anything beating Roberts at his finest.

The current situation is more interesting to me than the civil war in theory.
    The problem is they rarely do anything interesting with the current situation, cause it's all about the ten most famous faces and making them look heroic and badass.
    I'd at least like more flashback mini series so we can get to see the less popular Transformers in action and get more history and worldbuilding.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    At firt I was going to choose Shining Armor and Lost Light. Buuuut then I read what we should answer... :D  So I answered Shining Armor and YES. As interesting as it may have sounded first... The stories presented in Shining Armor are much more interesting. Lost Light can still be the same story and continue. But the RID/Transformers/Optimus Prime book has seen better days. That's the one I dropped.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    If the war did come back, i would rather have it show some more generic battles and even some like simanzi. In all the transformers series we get, it is always at the end of a very long war. We never get to see much of what happens during the war other than some flashbacks and war stories.

But playing the devils advocate, one of my favorite things about IDW is the pre war life. If the war didn't continue, i would want (after all the current ongoing to end) to see a peaceful life. Cybertron rebuilt into a beautiful planet again. Then we could have some miniseries about certain characters lives on the new cybertron and how they handle it.

Then again, after all this we still have to take into account ironhides vision. Later on, the war is over, gorlam prime is the new cybertron, and something big happens to most of the other cybertronians. So i don't know what they have planned but i think that if IDW ever stops making tf comics, Primus forbid, then they will end it with a new reborn cybertron on gorlam prime and finally make that vision come true.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DoctorFunnyAF

One thing I've always wanted to see in IDW comics: the major battles talked about but not really seen too much like Simanzi. I'd love for there to be a miniseries about each of those battles (even if it's just 4 issues) in the same vein as ROM v Transformers or even in flashback form. In my opinion I believe that flashbacks like that can really enhance the books now and give them more meat and I think that would be pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I've been in the minority for the last while in wanting to see war returning. Transformers for me was always about Autobot v decepticons. Yes its been great learning about characters now in the post war world but after a while it all gets a tad boring.

Some of my favorite moments in the last few years was the action sequences like overlord v the lost light and Megatron facing off against the djd. Stuff like that which leads me to my current favorite series ROM v the transformers. Some good old fashioned Autobot v decepticon action. Starscream is at his best in this.

So I'm hoping that long term we see sound wave taking control of the cons as he did in marvel and finally turning against optimus prime and his ideals. Megs is gone Galvatron is gone its time for sound wave to take over

9. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Rom vs Transformers is... more consistently good, but it's less ambitious than Optimus Prime. Like, it's very good at what it's doing, but what it's doing isn't as interesting to me as OP; OP has had its low points (the conclusion to the Junkion arc was weak, and I haven't been much of a fan of Primeless), but it's also had really great bits; most of New Cybertron was fantastic, and then there's Life of Sideswipe.
    Lost Light, meanwhile, has lost all appeal for me. #7 and #11 were both Season 1 quality, but that isn't enough to counter how dreadful Dissolution and Troja Major were.

10. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

After some hesitation ... Lost Light. Rom vs TFs, which I've finally tried due to the recommendations, is a good little mini but feels like it's in very familiar superhero comic territory (reminds me in particular of whenever a new important mutant turns up in X-Men and various factions fight over recruiting/eliminating them). Prime and LL have both had some disastrous issues and some good ones, but LL edges it for me because the long game is still just about paying off as we head towards the conclusion.

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I've read the first issue of shining armor.
    It's well written. Almost as good as the the Primeless arc which saw Barber come back to form after a long row of lackluster OP issues.
    But gah, Starscream? Bumblebee? Why? This was a chance to put other Transformers in the spotlight.
    it's like i've said before, in the shared universe less popular characters of other franchises have a better chance of getting fleshed out than any Transformer who is not a fanfav.

12. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

why are we all assuming LL is heading towards an ending?
    why can't we just pretend that the writing quality is going to return to season one levels and stay there and we'll dwell in blissful emotionally devastating robo heaven where everything is beautiful and everything hurts forever and ever?
    also tailgate stays dead, the monsterbots get some characterisation and Whirl gets her own spinoff starring as a pirate queen alongside whichever scavengers survive
    also Milne and Roberts make up and also probably kiss

is that really too much to ask?

• Like Like x 5
  13. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    your poll is missing an Option. Till all are One is the best series.
    in it's absence, I vote for Lost Light, Robert's writing, even when it hits low points (like LL 1-6) is still leagues ahead of 90% of Transformers fiction.
    also, MTMTE/LL gets to stay far far away from the crossover events. and my opinion of the crossovers are well documented at this point.

as for the question of "should the war come back?" my answer is a resounding NO. so much Transformers media is centered around The War, and it's gotten a bit stale. the idw books have earned their chance to take the story into new and exciting territory. i'd like to see more of it. the movies and cartoons will pretty much always have the war. the comics get to do something different.

14. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted for Rom vs TF and Yes. I would have voted for LL but Rom vs TF had great consistency in plot compared to the other two. I voted yes because there actually is a war going on though its not Autobot vs Decepticon, its cool to see villains like the Galactic Council, Onyx, Getaway and Unicron following a Decepticon ideology.

15. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I don’t know that it’s really fair to put ROM Vs Transformers in the same poll with OP and LL since it’s only a miniseries.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, unfair to the ongoings, because a mini-series can just tell its story and be done and then u can say "wow that was cool", but an ongoing has to continuously not tell its story while promising that someday it definitely will, so that u have a reason to keep buying it every month

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  17. DoctorFunnyAF

Whether a miniseries or a full series, rom is still a series

Also, I forgot the annual for TAAO is still to be released. However I was focusing on the main three everyone seems to be talking about at the moment.

18. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Have you given ROM vs Transformers a chance or have you just snubbed it because of the other crossover books you didn't like? This mini isn't like the other books and I personally feel fits way better. You should give it a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    1: *fanboy squealing from being addressed by Milne himself*
    2: I have been following Shining Armour, and Revolutionaries as well. and those titles have been doing great things with the shared universe concept.
    I even gave Sitterson's GIJOE book a shot for the sake of keeping up with Skywarp, but I really do not care for the execution the Joe book, or the Crossover events.

20. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RIDW/Optimus Prime, without a doubt. I love the political take of the story, as it focuses more on diplomacy. Lost Light has gotten too corny and comical for my tastes. The ideas Roberts has are great, but his execution is severely flawed. He keeps on throwing characters away as well, and that's when you know you had too many characters in the first place. They should've only had 10 or so characters, not dozens.
    I will say this, MTMTE has the best art. I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. I feel like I'm at a 90's Mall at night when I read the comic, and those are the happiest feelings for me.