POLL: Should The Last Knight Get a Sequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by drbeakman, Mar 17, 2019.

?

Should "The Last Knight" get a Sequel?

1. Yes

25.3%
  2. No

74.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You can't do that though - a direct sequel to TLK, which would have to be the next film, would be required to feature Unicron who is, quite literally, a gigantic setpiece of a villain. Otherwise, anybody who actually wants a sequel right now will be really pissed because Unicron legitimately is the only reason people want TF6 before a reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  2. waniel239

waniel239 Monitor of the 15th Galactic Convergence

He's not the only reason. I for one want a sequel simply because I enjoy the story so far, and want to see it go on. But the next filmmaker wouldn't be constrained by needing to show Unicron in full. They could begin to have him awaken, or have some subplot concerning him and Primus without actually showing them. Passing mentions, a few direct sequences dedicated to the urgency of keeping Unicron is stasis and whatnot, eventually ending where Unicron's full reveal is all but certain could be a good movie. Leading up possibly to an Infinity War type of event where Unicron battles our heroes and wins in the end, at least through avatars, because the plot twist and mcguffin in this film would be that if Unicron were to fully awaken, he would trigger some sort of reaction from Cybertron that would lead to his absolute downfall. Even in his weakened state, Primus might still be able to curb-stomp Unicron in short order. But who knows?

• Like Like x 4
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No one, at this point. As of right now, it's all dead. There is no "TF6" and Bumblebee is a reboot, all officially stated. As of right now, it's a done deal, it's over with. I'm sorry. (I truly am. I know what it's like to be left on a cliffhanger with no resolution. TV shows do it all the time.)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    To be honest, if TF does wanna go to an infinity war type film, they need to start with Bumblebee and build it's way up

• Like Like x 4
  5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I agree, I also enjoy the ongoing story. Maybe they could do a movie that would be a space quest to other planets in search of something needed to wake up Unicron...

6. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Then what the hell was the point of TLK if Unicron was not in a position to be immediately woken up?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just me, but Unicron transforming should destroy earth, and everything living on it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty short movie if you ask me...

• Like Like x 5
  9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, I'd be interested in a movie that's willing to pull the trigger on that. If only to find out how they intend to bullshit their way out of it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So that's why we don't need TF6. We know what's going to happen. Should we consider it an offscreen conclusion to the Bayverse?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Which is exactly why he won't transform even if TF6 would happen and have more attention to its predecessor than TLK did. And for those who would say 'then just get him out of Earth', then that just presents the fact the whole idea was stupid to begin with because why in hell would you bother making the horns appear on Earth if you aren't going to go through with it and have the whole bloody planet transform? You could have just made him be one of Jupiter's moons or something stupid like that.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nope.

I'd prefer the next few movies to be more smaller-scaled affairs after all the Bayverse nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    @Gordon_4 @TFXProtector @Hanzkaz @Autobot Burnout
    Having Unicron being earth was likely intentional, so there wouldn't be a sequel to TLK. Once Unicron transforms, and earth is destroyed, then Optimus doesn't need to worry about earth anymore or humans.
    The positive side is earth will no longer be relevant. And Paramount can finally do movies on cybertron or space.

• Like Like x 3
  14. WarLordFoxxy

WarLordFoxxy Banned

Having Earth be Unicron was a risky, incredibly ballsy move. It was GENIUS. That's why they need to do a follow up to The Last Knight. The wrote themselves into a tight corner and now they are forced to come up with creative, original ideas for where to take the sequels. TLK is the perfect movie to have a sequel to. And, they should make Unicron transform and destroy Earth at some point, whether it be in TF6, TF7, or TF8. Destroying Earth and forcing humans and the Autobots to evacuate. Maybe, a Noah's Ark type situation. Would be so badass. Man, the ideas are flowing through my mind. So many storytelling possibilities they have. They have zero reason to reboot.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    No, it was them copying the idea off of Transformers Prime which did it first. And credit where it's due, I'll spew shit onto Prime any day of the week but the idea when the show did it really was quite novel...until it became painfully obvious how utterly pointless it is. Unicron, as Earth, can not Transform, thus eliminating literally the only worthwhile thing about Unicron which is of course his robot mode that dwarfs planets. Prime solved the problem, eventually, by basically coming up with some bullshit that allowed Unicron to possess Megatron as a get out of jail free card, but then he didn't really do anything of interest there except raise a completely useless army of dragon zombies and walk right into a painfully obvious trap.

Unicron will never transform - doing so obviously destroys Earth and all humanity with it, which means that is a no-recovery fail state for the Autobots. Which will never happen because at least as far as the Autobots are concerned, every film has ended in total victory with the routing of their enemies and Megatron dying about 60% of the time - or only 50% if you don't count Galvatron as Megatron for whatever reason. The only way to ensure that if Earth was destroyed was to pull some Titan AE grade deus ex machina and simply RECREATE THE EARTH...but even then the majority of humanity is dead and it's still an empty victory so even that will be avoided at all costs.

Or they could more likely just abandon the fuck out of that plot. Just like what they did with The Creators from AoE!

Unless you just remove the dumbass stinger, in which case the film more or less wraps up pretty cleanly with all the Autobots going home. Unicron is, legitamately, the only plot thread left hanging and pretending Paramount should burn hundreds of millions of dollars on a sequel that nearly destroyed them...well, there's a reason they didn't do that and they instead retooled Bumblebee into a new continuity.

You mean come off as totally ripping off the ending of Thor: Ragnarok? Because that's totally what happens at the end of Thor: Ragnarok. Their home is destroyed by an ancient entity of chaos and the survivors all fly off in a big ship.

Can you go into detail about these 'storytelling' possibilities? Because Cade's not coming back, Whalberg has confirmed as much, and Lorenzo fucking hates the idea of Unicron - it's the one thing he's been consistent about over the years. But please, do go on about how you you'd bankrupt Paramount, because it doesn't fucking matter how much you as an individual like the films, the deciding factor will be the general public...and TLK's box office will forever stand as proof that the old formula and continuity (or what could be charitably called as much) is no longer sustainable on that scale when you make $650 million in revenue...and your profit line is still $100 million in the red.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  16. WarLordFoxxy

WarLordFoxxy Banned

The TLK sequel would be GENIUS. Earth as Unicron was a genius idea! There is no reason to reboot with the endless possibilities they have for the next film's story.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    All you're doing here is more or less just repeating the same lines as your previous post, instead of actually responding to my points. Like, how can you say the possibilities for the TFCU are 'endless' in the same context you said they wrote themselves into a corner? I mean, give me three possible plot continuations after TLK, since you're saying they're "endless" and the "ideas were flowing through your mind", surely you can provide a little more elaboration for the sake of discussion, can't you?

• Like Like x 5
  18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter if you think the idea is genius. The Last Knight put a gun in its mouth and pulled the trigger. It got fucked six ways to Sunday at the box office which was the only metric that was going to decide if you got a sequel or not.

I should make peace with the idea that the plot threads of the Last Knight, unless picked up on a television show or comic book, will remain abandoned.

• Like Like x 4
  19. WarLordFoxxy

WarLordFoxxy Banned

You have Cybertron and Earth collided.
    Earth as Unicron.
    The moon destroyed.
    Megatron still alive on the run.
    Quintessa in human form trying to trick humans.
    The Creators from AOE who still haven't been revealed or why they wanted to capture Optimus.
    Autobots trying to rebuild Cybertron, yet Cybertron and Earth are collided. So humanity has obviously been affected.
    Then you have humans, Cade, Sam, Izzy, etc.

Not really.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

...now you're just repeating things that have already happened. Is there an actual idea to go with any of this?

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.