POLL: Should The Last Knight Get a Sequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by drbeakman, Mar 17, 2019.

?

Should "The Last Knight" get a Sequel?

1. Yes

25.4%
  2. No

74.6%
  1. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

Should "The Last Knight" get a sequel, or should "Bumblebee" mark the beginning of a new timeline for the Transformers movie-verse?

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I would like to see stuff happening on Cybertron and Megatron's return with new Decepticons.

But I can do without Quintessa and Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Bumblebee should mark the beginning of a new timeline.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

I think that, judging from what Lorenzo has been saying for months, the two are indistinguishable in his head. There is no Bayverse or Bumblebee reboot. Just random toy robot movies, connected or disconnected at random with each other, presented in whatever packaging aesthetic (for example, G1-style) might make the most buck with the least amount of effort. Therefore, I hope for a third option, sometime in this lifetime. An honest, true and clean reboot, hopefully by a completely different team of people.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm somewhat torn on this whole situation, but I voted "yes" just because I'm starting to get a bit excited. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad idea to finish up the threads that TLK left hanging. And as I said in another thread, it's likely not going to be a direct sequel (assuming they get a new director). It'll probably be it's own thing to an extent.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Absolutely not. The Last Knight nearly killed Paramount, and a sequel would most likely kill Paramount AND the entire damn Transformers franchise too.

• Like Like x 4
  7. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Sure, why not. We all need more Bayhem.

But that's adding/making a pile of sh** even bigger.

8. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

i mentioned this in another thread, the only way paramount could successfully profit off of another bayverse film is by deceiving people into thinking it's part of the new universe. people love tlk and want it to have a sequel but they're far from enough to sell the film

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    To an extent, I think that's true of all Hollywood. I mean, reboots are actually a relatively new thing. In the past you might see a new adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet" or every few years/decades, but it wasn't really thought of as a "new universe" or anything. Truth be told, I don't think the viewers thought in those terms at all, they just enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) the movie. At most they might compare/contrast against a previous version.

Fandom tends to think about this stuff in terms of continuity, canon, timeline, and universe. I think this is partially caused by websites like TFWiki categorize things by continuities. "This show belongs to Primax Cluster 845Z-whatever". I'm not sure I like that, because that's not how it's generally presented in fiction. I mean, has Hasbro actually ever called the Unicron Trilogy is a reboot? I actually prefer to use Wikipedia for this reason. All the Optimus Primes are nicely laid out on the same article. (Same with Marvel characters or something). I mean, I get why the wikis do that (so the articles won't be a mile long), but I do think it encourages a weird mindset.

To the people working at Paramount, Transformers is a movie series. A crazy amount of work goes into making a movie. Quibbling about the state of continuity and canon is probably fairly low on their list of priorities. The average audience member doesn't know or care what universal cluster or whatever Bumblebee belongs to. I know people who think Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man is canon to the MCU. I know people who (pre-Infinity War) thought the Guardians of the Galaxy were separate from the MCU. I legitimately knew someone who thought Rogue One was a sequel to Force Awakens (and enjoyed it). They'll either learn the truth or they won't, but they're more concerned with whether these are good movies individually.

Edit: Even Travis Knight thinks this way. When asked whether Bumblebee was a prequel or reboot, he said he didn't really care, and that his focus was on simply making a good movie.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If the TLK sequel happened the way I want it to happen then yes, but I probably won't get the movie I'd like to see. I'm still an original trilogy fanboy.

I voted yes but it's whatever at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Of course, it should be a high priority for the producers to create really good movies in an of themselves, but, this is a franchise, let's not forget. You want people coming back again and again. And I don't think it would come to the surprise of anyone, except maybe Lorenzo and his fellow producers, but, in order to have people wanting to come back for the next installment and buy the toys, you have to successfully make them invested in the characters, the story (both micro and macro) and the world you are selling. And since, Transformers has all that in spades, throughout its 35 year history, it's a damn shame that we're discussing being contempt with just one good movie at a time, if we're lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

How good can a set of stories really be, if they're intended to be directly tied and yet continuity is treated as irrelevant? It hasn't worked out well for the Transformers movies so far.

I really dislike this argument that "continuity doesn't matter" because it's effectively saying "keeping your events straight from one story to the next doesn't matter." Sure, you COULD make a bunch of good movies in spite of that, but they'll suffer for it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Earthshock

Earthshock Member

Thanks but no

14. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    I'd like to see the plot points left dangling from The Last Knight to be resolved and for the series to move in a new direction, but after The Last Knight, it's gonna be hard to keep faith, and I say that as a Bayformers defender. @Jochimus had a bunch of ideas regarding this subject that are definitely worth exploring.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I don't want Bay to direct Transformers 6, the Last Knight sequel, not Bumblebee, lol, I hope he returns to direct that WW2 Movie, Operation Skyfire. Shia Labeuof as Sam Witwicky's WW2 Veteran grandpappy.
    1549428900-jp-targete-ww2-os-skyfire-poster-jp-targete.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I'd argue they could do that within this continuity though. Prior to The Force Awakens, HALF of the Star Wars saga was kind of disliked. Force Awakens succeeded in bringing back a lot of the older viewers that had been turned away by the prequels. (I realize the new movies have been divisive, but that has more to do with the current handling of the franchise than the faults of the prequels).

If the new movies have likable characters and storylines, audiences will be attracted to them regardless of what canon they exist in. If they fail, it's won't be because they're connected to the Bayverse. It will be because they're not good movies. Again, most audiences don't really look for a deep lore. That's more of a fandom thing. Yes, it does kind of stink that the new movies will be attached to Bay's messy lore, but that's not going to really affect the general audience's opinion, or kill the series. Most of them aren't going to binge-watch all 5 Bay movies before going to see a new one. Again, let's not forget that the Star Wars Prequels did questionable things to the lore, but that didn't need a reboot to move forward.

You could have the worst continuity ever, and still have a set of great stories. I grew up watching a lot of old shows and sitcoms that completely forget their own lore and worldbuilding after one episode, because they didn't maintain records of what they'd established. I'd still rather rewatch most of those than watch a modern Netflix show with "long-form storytelling" and "multi-season story arcs" and whatnot (not saying those are bad, I just prefer the older shows).

I'm not necessarily advocating this as a form of modern storytelling. I agree that both the micro and macro stories should be taken into consideration. I'm mainly trying to shoot down the narrative that this is going to kill future movies. I doubt 99% of the audience cares or remembers what happened in previous Transformers movies beyond very broad story beats.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

I mostly agree. Sure, making a good movie, at the end of the day, like I said before, should be above all. And most audiences appreciate that enough on its own. Having no deeper level to it, doesn't have a negative effect. But I argue that, going the extra step and infusing the movies with more than just the basics of what would make them enjoyable, is what makes passionate fans, rather than just a fun 2-hour past time. Audiences appreciate that as well, I think. Even more so, probably. And we're not talking about any random franchise, but Transformers. The imagination that has gone into creating the world of Transformers, a lot of the lore, the memorable characters and the mythology, to me, is what makes Transformers itself, more than anything. I think that, for many of us long time fans, the movies have always been expected to convey all those things that we love about Transformers, to a larger audience. They may deliver some fairly good movies, but, in my heart, I hope they deliver that, as much.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I am hoping that there's more focus on continuity going forward. I definitely agree it would make the series a lot more appealing and enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    If TLK gets a sequel, then literally everything that should have been learned from TLK evidently was ignored in the face of greed, ignorance, and one idiot abusing power he never should have fucking had to begin with.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura seems convinced that TLK was a fluke and not a clear indicator things needed to change. Maybe a second massive failure and the death of Paramount itself is the only thing to rid ourselves of that clueless moron.

• Like Like x 4
  20. shockwavedalek

shockwavedalek Well-Known Member

Ok so controversially I want a sequel to the last knight... But not as a movie. What I want is an official sequel comic series from IDW used to tie up the loose ends. The general public don't care if they get answers theyve already moved on with bumblebee plus very few of them watched the last knight so its just a certain section of the fanbase, like me that dislike loose ends and would like a nice tidy package to see beginning middle and end.

• Like Like x 4