Poll: Partsforming: How big a deal is it to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by boomerdave, Feb 6, 2017.

?

Poll: Partsforming: How big a deal is it to you?

1. It's a complete deal breaker. I refuse to buy one that does that

2. It's not a deal breaker but I'd get another version from another company to avoid it.

3. I don't really care one way or another.

4. I don't mind at all, most of the original G1's were partsformers.

5. I love partsformers. It saves me time from breaking fragile pieces off myself.

6. I don't care for it but I'll let it slide and still get the toy regardless.

7. I love'em because that's just how I roll.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I work midnights and we're allowed to do whatever we want (within reason) with the computers as long as you're getting your work done and not screwing up. Most people watch Netflix but I tend to hang out here on the boards and watch reviews. Anyhow, lately I've been watching a lot of Emgo's reviews and when ever he gets a figure that is a partsformer, he always goes in a silly voice "Partsformer!? Worse toy ever!!!!"

I've seen some people say the same thing here and I know that is what he is referencing, but I wondered, how many people (at least here) really mind that? I personally don't mind since to my memory, most of my G1 originals were a partsformers to some degree or another. It also bothers me the other way, because I know the 3rd party companies listen and I see some really outrageous engineering come down with a figure (making it WAY more complicated than it needs to be) to avoid partsforming. If they just made that part pop off and pop back on, you'd make the transformation a lot more fun and easier IMO. I've also seem some where the toy has the part come off but then they hooked it to a hinged "arm" so it's not a partsformer but that arm and dangling part sure gets in the way.

Now partsforming due to laziness is not what I'm talking about, but sometimes, it's a simple solution to a difficult transformation. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid (like Omega Supreme).

Anyhow, how do you feel about it? Is it an absolute evil to be avoided at all costs or is it ok sometimes or, like me, do you not really care? Just really wondered what everyone's take on it was.

2. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

I have no beef with partsforming. In fact, I'd usually prefer partsforming over making a transformation super complex to avoid partsforming.
    Its been with Transformers since day 1 so I never understand the outrage when a couple parts pop off. Like you said, lets not get lazy with it but I think it has its place for certain.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Lazy partsforming is a no no! I don't mind complicated transformation if the end result is done right!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

Parts forming doesn't bother me at all.
    If the part can be included without compromising a bot/alt mode then that's the way it should be.
    If parts forming is going to result in a substantially better product and avoid the above, that's the way it should be. I don't own it but toyworlds devy is one of the best examples of it being done right and for the right reasons.

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Emgo is a good reviewer and he says that line to mock people who will simply dismiss any partsformer.

Personally, I think it depends per figure.

Some things I don't understand about the fandom though : for example, this upcoming PE Super Ginrai set PC-16. Yes, it's neat to have a transformable cab for Super Ginrai, but.... doesn't anyone remember that
    Super Ginrai never reverted back to Ginrai mode in MasterForce ?
    Hence the Takara Super Ginrai as it is, is THE correct representation of Super Ginrai as a singular character. So in one hand fans seem to want cartoon accuracy for a character,
    but in other ways they want the partsforming aspect, as the limitations of the G1 toy gave them. That's why I don't agree with much of the HasTak bashing.

Maybe I'd buy the PE PC-16 to have it represent Ginrai's starting point in his evolution, but as a seperate piece to Super Ginrai. I don't feel the need to turn my Super Ginrai into a partsformer - even if it might be the case
    you can keep the cab attached at all times. Probably adds some more weight. Less weight in his torso = fewer worries about his ankle & heel spur joints, so I'd prefer to keep my Super Ginrai as he is.

6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Parts-forming has never really bothered me, and yes in some instances it can be better.

A good example would be the FOC Combaticon combiners vs. the CW combiners. The lack of parts-forming on the FOC figures definitely dragged the quality down (in my opinion).

7. Cogwheels

Cogwheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would rather have an awesome design + some partsforming than a compromised design that tries to hard to incorporate everything.

Partsforming can be fun - it gives you options. Just look at the Iron Factory stuff. So much partsforming. So much fun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

This basically :cool: 

9. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

There is a place for partsforming. Combiners and Omega Supreme for example.

But I much rather see clever engineering than partsforming. On weapons and accessories like missile launchers, partsforming is fine with me. I like weapon storage, but I HATE when the accessory becomes an important piece of the visible alt-mode.

Im an MP collector, so my expectations are that if the G1 toy can tranform without partsforming, so should the update version.

Daca Toys Kronos' partsforming was a dealbreaker. -fortunately. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Naroki

Naroki Well-Known Member

I don't mind if it is improve overall design and can attach parts to both mode.

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Its nice when they find an elegant solution to avoid it.
    And i am not a big fan.
    But its not a big deal.

12. TylerB

TylerB We all know they're supposed to be chrome.

This, exactly

13. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    There's a ton of "it depends" for me. As others have said, I don't have a problem with some combiner parts like hands, feet, or chest shields that have no purpose in any other mode, but ToyWorld kind of overdid it when their Long Haul came with a combiner part bigger than he was that made up Devy's pelvis, hips, thighs, and knees.

On non-combiners I don't mind it if a part is removed and relocated between modes, and I don't mind when things like shoulder cannons don't have a place to go in alt mode. I hate, though, when a necessary part for alt mode comes off and does nothing for bot mode.

Of course, within those general preferences there's always exceptions.

14. Straight Edge

Straight Edge A Legend In My Own Central Processor

MP Shockwave was a prime example of Partsforming Vs Engineering Solution.

G1 Shockwave had a cannon muzzle that came off in Transformation and played no part in the robot mode.

MP Shockwave involved a crazy die-cast arm that allowed the muzzle to stay attached to the figure, ending up on Shockwave's back. The muzzle was then covered by a piece that looked like the butt of the gun, per the G1 figure design.

The issue? The backpack in robot mode is NOT the butt of the gun. The gunmode has an extra piece that essentially is just hanging out. All the engineering and manipulation of the original SW design, only to have partsforming in a different way. FAIL on so many levels, IMO.

I would have been happier with the original G1 engineering with modern articulation here... I always used the muzzle as a drone/helper that Shockwave ordered around in robot mode, anyway. Would've liked to have had that guy in my MP collection.

• Like Like x 1
  15. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Well, since I'm buying Transformers, and not Leprosysers, I generally want Transformers to Transform as opposed to falling apart. Like, just imagine for a moment if actual Transformers media allowed partsforming in transformations. It would be the worst thing ever, right? Checkmate.

• Like Like x 1
  16. robh

robh Decepticon

general preferences are: combiners, sure. weapons, sure, everything else, no.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Agreed.

In general, if it can be avoided without compromising the look, I prefer partsforming not be used. But when it can't be avoided without making some serious concessions, then I'm ok with it.

Pretty much this, though I'd add figures like OS who have separate alt modes and one bot mode (some may call that a combiner). As an MP collector, I kind of feel like it's necessary to make an MP scaled combined form created from MP scaled components. I hate when designers try to make everything self inclusive and you get ridiculous looking individual bots or alt modes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. robh

robh Decepticon

^^ yeah, as much as I appreciate what HasTak was trying to do with CW Devs, the biggest downfall (among the many that it has) is fat long haul. He does make great custom fodder leg parts, though :) 

19. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends. Partsforming weapons, loose side accessories, and combiner kibble I find generally acceptable especially if that kibble has a place to go or can transform into something itself. Something extremely minor that works better with partsforming I can let slip too. Excessive partsforming where a massive number of important parts just have nowhere to go in any other mode is a dealbreaker.

Of course figures that can do everything without partsforming without overcomplication are the impressive ones and will heavily factor into a choice between two similar figures.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I would much rather have combiner parts be accessories than have them ruin a good figure . I've seen a lot of attempts at integrating parts into figures, and 9/10 it would have been much simpler to simply have a hand and a foot set off to the side in storage, or used as a weapon (like with HFGs, or PEs transforming hands and feet). If it means a better looking figure, I don't mind if there are some accessories sitting off to the side, this is the way it has been since Diaclone. It actually adds to the play value for me, especially when parts like chest pieces and guns combine into vehicles and what not, I'm a sucker for drone vehicles and what not.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1