Poll: Choose your Ideal 3P MP Influences

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Sep 19, 2016.

?

What influences do you prefer 3P use to address the needs in your MP Collection?

1. Strictly Sunbow Toon influence

13.4%
  2. Strictly G1 toy/toyart influence

5.4%
  3. Sunbow and G1 toy/toyart influence

51.8%
  4. Strictly G1 Marvel of UK Comic influence

0.9%
  5. Sunbow, G1 toy/toyart, and G1 Marvel or UK comic influence

18.8%
  6. Strictly IDW influence

8.0%
  7. Sunbow, G1 toy/toyart, G1 Marvel or UK comic, and IDW comic influence

10.7%
  8. It varies for each character

22.3%
  9. Other G1 media

0.9%
  10. Something Else (please specify in your comments)

8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Strictly Sunbow but I also chose the one with the toy and Sunbow G1 and toy art influence! But to be honest I'm completely fine with everything TT has been doing from MP-09 to date. They fit in seamlessly with each other.

2. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am shocked that Sunbow G1 Toy/Art is the number choice. Happy but shocked nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jetrobo

jetrobo Well-Known Member

I voted Sunbow & G1 Toy/Toyart. It's probably a generational thing and also what medium first drew you into transformers in the first place. For me, I loved how the shiny chrome and sticker detailing on the original G1 toys stomped all over anything else in the store back in the 80s. At the same time, I was always perplexed and disappointed at how different the toys looked from the boxart, and even moreso from the cartoon. So, the magic of the MP line to me is the combination of the best of all 3 influences. I'd also say if I actually owned the damn toy as a kid, toy/toyart would be the overriding preferred influence (case in point, I'd prefer/do prefer MP Megs to have red inner legs, Thundercracker in darker metallic blue, and Wheeljack to have no eyes).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spectra

Spectra Dykebot Extraordinaire

Marvel/Sunbow/Toys, in that order. I will forever be disappointed by the lack of comic-style MPs.

5. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to go with "Something else."

Though I prefer largely Sunbow toon, G1 Toy/Art, I also prefer real world influences. I think Hasui's description of what he envisions the MP line is/was sums up my thinking as well.

6. Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies Well-Known Member

I prefer a Marvel/Sunbow bot mode (they used the same character models), with real world influences (larger chest on Swipe etc); toy, box art or similar detailing and toy colouring.
    Pretty much most of what we used to get before Magnus.
    I would like to see more Marvel in terms of alternate heads and accessories though.

7. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

Well I went with my same choices for the other two recent threads wondering what people want for their MP figures... Seems they all end up the same way. Some people want MP quality figures of various genres where as the majority of people are trying to finish their G1 Masterpiece line of which they want to be pretty close to the original inspirations for the character.

The other two threads asking more or less this same question.

"How slavish to G1 does your MP collection have to be?"

"3rd Parties focusing too much on G1?"

8. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I know it when I see it.

I know what a cool-looking detailed high-end robot toy looks like.
    And I know what a bland, boring robot toy looks like.

I believe Hasui said that when he made MP-10 he started with the cartoon, looked at the toy for details, and looked at the comics for other details, looked at pics of an actual semi, and then went from there.
    It's the "went from there" that determines the look of the thing. There is a big influence of the designer himself. There's a whole lot of interpretation that goes into these - no matter what you are being influenced by, a LOT of it comes down to design and aesthetic choices made by the designer(s). Seems to me that's the most important thing.

That's the fascinating thing about Transformers - there is no such thing.
    The G1 characters were introduced in 3 formats simultaneously - the cartoon, the comics, and the toys. All are equally valid. Some characters are mostly consistent across these 3 and some are wildly different. So we can't even say things like "the original Megatron" because there are 3 original Megatrons.

9. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

And in all three of those he is based on a Walther p-38. Ergo original inspiration for the character being the toy cartoon and comic... And no a Tank 'because I don't like him as a gun and it's stupid' would not be the original inspiration.

I have seen people complain about the way MP is going because they don't like the old alt modes or the old robot designs or they don't like g1 and wants it done this way. But when you throw up a poll or a thread that asks this question a majority tends to lean for cartoon/marvel comic with a bit of toy design thrown in... pretty much covering your '3 original' statement.

Basically some of us just want to finish a lineup before moving on to a new one :) 

10. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Same here dude!

"Full Toon" interpretations are bright, flat, simple and doesn't mesh with any of my existing MPs. Save that chunky, wonky blocky proportions for for non transforming Rotocast, statues and Heroes of Cybertron minis.

That's why I didn't care for Takara's Shockwave- it just stands out from everything else and looks to be a bit of an oddity. I'm more than happy with my Cloud 9 purchase. That thing is just slick!

I remember loving the TMNT toys as a kid, and accepting all their odd little extra sculpted details. They look enough like their cartoon versions to satisfy me, and were still great toys. In some instances (such as Ray Fillet, Baxter Stockman, Rat King, Mondo Gecko, Genghis Kahn) the toys were significantly cooler than the animation models.

Existing MPs have a healthy dose of realistic detailing and elements from the original toy line.