Pokemon Trading Figure Game

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Omega Supreme-1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pokémon Trading Figure Game (also referred to as the Pokémon TFG) is a collectible miniatures game similar to HeroClix. It is designed by Pokemon USA and based on Satoshi Tajiri's Pokémon media franchise.

It was released in Australia in August 2006, followed by releases in Europe and Southeast Asia later that year. The trading figures have been released in the United States and will be released in Japan sometime in 2007. There is speculation that it will have an Organized Play system similar to the Pokémon TCG, but this has yet to be confirmed by any of the companies distributing the game. The first set released is called "Next Quest". The game seems to be played in a luck/strategy format that resembles the boardgame Risk with most actions being controlled by a spin mechanism on the figures. The figures are larger than most other figure games, highly detailed, and meant to introduce this type of game to younger players while holding the interest of older fans of the Pokemon series.

Though released on the announced September 19th date, initial distribution has been slow, and is taking some time to reach full stock levels at many retail outlets.

The upcoming 10th anniversary United Kingdom mall tour will feature an introduction of this new Pokemon line.

Rules

The objective of the game is to move one of your figures to the opponent's goal and to prevent them getting to yours by using your Pokémon to defend and attack. In a player's turn, he may play a trainer card, move a figure, and/or attack one of the opponent's figures (in that order).

[​IMG]

Next Quest set

The "Next Quest" set is made up of 42 figures and 8 cards. These pieces are divided into four levels of rarity: white star (extremely rare), black star (rare), black diamond (uncommon) and black circle (common). There are also 2 subsets, the pearl sub-set which contains all the rare figures and are a pearly colour and the crystal subset are see through and contains all the EXrare figures. A ref figure is also found in the 9 figure set it would appear it is not part of the nextquest set however as it has the promo symbol underneath

[​IMG]

Two starter sets are available for this collection, entitled "Flamethrower" and "Riptide". Each starter set contains four figures, as well as the following:

* Double-sided play mat (for 3 vs 3 or 6 vs 6 figurine play).
    * 3 trainer cards (Max Revive, X Attack, X Accuracy, or Switch).
    * A full-color poster of the 42 figurines in the Next Quest set, with checklist boxes for collectors.
    * A rule book.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are also four different booster packs available; these do not have individual names but are identified by the four different images on each packaging: Pikachu, Charizard, Groudon, and Feraligatr.

[​IMG]

One of the coolest things about these trading figures is that the sculpts were all made by Kaiyodo, known for the Revoltech and other mecha figure line. They have really really good sculpts, and make fantastic PVCs when you don't feel like playing.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I need someone to sell me a Scyther from this set... the game looks interesting but I've been down the Pokemon collecting road once before, not a habit I'm going back to.

3. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
  5. spacelion

spacelion smokin' hot

I see a lot of these in my local TRUs with broken pieces.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Is there a Lopunny figure?

7. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They arn't "broken" so much as the glue that connects them to the base isn't strong enough. With a bit of Elmer's glue or epoxy they are as good as new; though they really need stronger glue. My good friend David dropped my starter kit and knocked Treeko off his base; which is ironic since he was trading me for that one anyway. The bases come with a metal peg, which hold the figure in place and that won't break. You technically don't need to reglue the "broken" ones but if you want to hide the glue residue or secure it better you can.

Not yet in the first two expansions, they are only doing 38 figures per wave; not including trainer figures. They currently have Red, Green, Brendan, Landan, Misty, Brock, Koga, and Sabrina available.

8. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

I obviously can't speak for spacelion, but I've seen "broken" figures at my local TRU, and I'm pretty sure that most of them have actually snapped. I'll check it out in more detail if I see them again, though (don't head up to TRU very often).

It's a shame, really, as I quite like the look of the figures and the game as a whole.

9. spacelion

spacelion smokin' hot

no. i meant broken as in, Meowth's ankle snapped off from the foot. The same goes for Murkrow. While they are nice figures to look and play with, i have serious reservations about purchasing something that can be broken that easily. It seems to me that the plastic is too thin on some of the pokemon. I wonder, if i spin to hard or something like that, it might accidentally break?

10. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? It seems to be made out of the same plastic as the Gunbuster that Kaiyodo released. It seems like good quality stuff to me, and none of mine have broken yet; beyond Treeko coming off his base.

11. spacelion

spacelion smokin' hot

i dunno. maybe if i could get ahold of the US versions i could tell if there was any difference in the plastic. there are a lot of Aussie starters where the Meowth and/or Murkrow are broken. I know we can choose for starters, but what about the blind boxed boosters? i don't want to open it and find 2 broken figures.