POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

133 vote(s)
    40.1%
  2. Gen 2

60 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Gen 3

55 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. Gen 4

36 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Gen 5

48 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Calcs have shown that Starmie deals 20% with Psychic and 30% with Psyshock to Blissey. However, Psychic deals almost double what Psyshock deals to anything other than Blissey. There is no reason to run Psyshock on Starmie ever. The boost in damage to Blissey is not worth the drop in damage to everything else.

Perversity serperior may be strong but is easily killed and completely predictable, as there is.no reason to use Serperior except for Perversity Leaf Storm. It is also easy to counter as Air Balloon Heatran tanks Leaf Storm and resists or is immune to HP Ice/Fire, and can strike.back with Flamethrower/Fire Blast. Scizor can 4x resist Leaf Storm and hit back with HP Fire or HP Ice, as long as Serperior runs HP Ice so Scizor doesn't get killed on the switch.

Nidoking suffers from weaknesses to common attacking types so will generally die. It's good as a suicide sweeter, but there are better pokemon out there. Also, Starmie can kill it easily as not only is ScarfMie faster (I think most Starmie are faster, since they hit 361 speed), but it also generally carries Surf/Hydro Pump and Ice Beam, sometimes even Psychic (though Psychic is rare), all three of which hit Nidoking for SE damage. Actually, Perversity Leaf Storm also hits Nidoking Neutrally, which becomes SE on the second hit (SE is x2 damage, which the +2 boost is equivalent of). So you can see why no one uses Nidoking.

2. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Do you play the card game, Tread? Or is it not sold in Aussie...?

3. Treadshot A1

I have cards from way back when, up to around the first series of DP, I think. Anyways, I don't play, I just collected them. I guess I just never got the hang of the game, never was good at it.

Anyways, as I kid I was just after cards with strong attacks, so when I got a hold of a Japanese Charizard EX, with it's 150 BP Blast Burn, I kinda lost interest in the game. I know it's far from a practical attack since it costs a lot of energy, but I was a kid then, and didn't really care for practicality as much as schoolyard oneupsmanship (is that even a word?).

4. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it's a pity nothing good gets perversity, I suppose Serperior would be just a pretty interesting one to use at least once, surprize factor.

I realised pretty soon after I posted that PsyShock is 80 base and Psychic is 90 base, but still really is it only 10% extra damage, There is a 125 difference in the defence stats(10 def and 135 Spdef), I know blissey has insane health but only 10% extra is impressive.

I still think Nidoking is very impressive, Sheer Force + LIfe Orb which does not take away health because of sheer force, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, STAB Earth Power and Flamethrower is great type coverage.
    Speed will definitely work against it, but I don't think no one will use it.

Eviolite/Evolution Stone Porygon 2 is amazing too, I thought he was pretty good before but now he is amazing.

5. Treadshot A1

You don't get it do you? There's NO surprise factor. Perversity Jaroda is always going to be Perversity Jaroda, there is no other reason to use Jaroda. When you see one pop up, you have a 100% guarantee it'll run Perversity + Leaf Storm. The only guessing game is whether it runs SubSeed or Dragon Tail and filler, as Leaf Storm and HP are guaranteed.

And yes, Blissey gets hit harder by Psyshock than Psychic. But Starmie can tank Blissey all day, as all Blissey can do is Seismic Toss and Starmie can take at least 2 of those if not 3. Neither move is a 3HKO, and the only way to 3HKO with Psyshock is to ensure Stealth Rock damage, which will be negated by Softboiled, rendering both moves useless against Blissey. There is no reason EVER to use Psyshock on a Starmie, in fact, 90% of the time there's no reason to use Psychic either. Your usual Starmie runs BoltBeam, Surf/Hydro Pump and Recover/Rapid Spin. Yes, there is an abundance of Fighting Types in Gen V, but still not enough of a reason to run Psychic most of the time.

Life Orb still takes away health, Sheer Force only negates the secondary effects of moves, not ITEMS. Nidoking can be walled to hell and back long enough to let it suicide with LO damage, or leave it in range for Priority kills, and can be easily revenged. It is also completely resisted by Air Balloon Heatran, as the only SE move is Earth Power and Air Balloon screws that over.

Only Eviolite Porygon2 has any merit as a real competitor to it's previously used form PorygonZ, as the defense boost from Eviolite makes 2 a great defensive tank with better defenses than Z.

Eviolite Murkrow is also remarkably good for what it is, and Prankster makes it all the better to Taunt and status.

6. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually Sheer Force and Life Orb has some weird affect where Life Orb doesn't Actually take away health

I believe it is some sort of glitch

I meant more of a surprize factor of someone actually using it.

7. Treadshot A1

That must be a glitch then, since Sheer Force certainly shouldn't take away LO damage. I'll check on Smogon, see if they've gotten it figured out yet.

The surprise factor would come more from "ha, look, someone's using that god awful snake in OU! lol!" than anything else. Unless someone is a complete jerk, all teams should be able to counter this thing to hell and back. Need i mention Scizor, Escavalier, Heatran, Jirachi, Blissey, Skarmory (4x resist, even though Skarm's usually a physical wall), Nattorei, Forretress, anything with Protect/U-turn...

The list just keeps going on.

EDIT: Smogon says LO is only negated if you use a move boosted by SF. So if you attack with Flare Blitz, you're safe. Use Tackle and you'll take damage. I'm not sure if that's true for all items though, again, i'll have to check.

EDIT: Apparently only with LO, as there aren't any other items that will damage you while boosting your moves.

8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Wow, I already have access the Sparkling Sea area in Dream World. That didn't seem to take very long after unlocking the last area.

9. Treadshot A1

Tirade, and anyone else interested in Shiny abuse, go here: Pokécheck, the GTS stats checker

I just got my SID from it, on a Black cartridge, on a DSiXL, so i know for sure it's XL instructions work. Haven't tried it for DS Lite or DS originals though.

10. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I got Pokemon Black a couple days ago. So far, I've been doing a better job of keeping my team leveled up with each other. This is my current roster.

Sam (Servine) - Lv. 25
    Tank (Palpitoad) - Lv. 25
    Sparky (Blitzle) - Lv. 23
    Gizmo (Herdier) - Lv. 24
    Larvox (Whirlipede) - Lv. 23
    Tweety (Tranquill) - Lv. 23

Right now I'm working on getting Sparky, Tweety, Larvox, and Gizmo all to Lv. 25 so we can challenge the third gym leader.

11. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Even at level 23, I'm sure your Tranquill could handle all three. Might have a little trouble with Burgh's Dwebble (Rock Move Smackdown), but your bird should tear through the other 2 pokes.

12. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Oh, I know they can handle the gym leader. I just want them all to be at level with each other.

13. Treadshot A1

Wow, y'know that feeling when you realise you've just made a sudden decision and it turns out to be life saving?

I just went into the Singles train in Battle Subway, and it's my third time through it, having bested Ingo twice before, and i'll face him again at the end of this run (15-21). I've always had issues with his Crustle, as none of my team could resist all his attacks. My Mienshao would fall prey to EQ (not SE, but Mienshao is so frail anyways), Scizor does get his SE by Earthquake, and my Gyara gets owned by Stone Edge.

So i threw out Gyara, in exchange for a Ferrothorn. In the first two or three battles, i face both a stalling Stunfisk (KO'd Mienshao after surviving a weak HP Ice and threatened Scizor with EQ), and a stalling Maractus (Ingrain/Giga Drain/Synthesis/Double Team). I would've lost my streak to them if i hadn't packed Ferrothorn, who can wall both of them to Hell and back.

Stunfisk simply couldn't touch my Ferrothorn, EQ doing pittance damage due to Ferrothorn's high defenses, and Leech Seed sapped it's health dry (I attempted to KO with Mienshao's HP Ice, but lost Mienshao for my troubles). Maractus was much more of a pain. I repeatedly hit with HP Ice while it Double Teamed and Ingrained, which basically meant that i was hitting every 3 turns and it would heal off any damage by then. I took a hit from Giga Drain some time later, so i switched to Ferrothorn to allow Regenerator to heal Mienshao. Ened up PP Stalling Maractus to death, as i just wasted away my Spikes/Stealth Rock PP while it ran out of...well, everything. Struggle's recoil + Iron Barbs finished off that loser, and i didn't even have to attack through it's +6 evasion, letting it suicide instead.

Phew. Carnivorous Durian fruit, i thank thee. :) 

14. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

ive just been training for a while, im still trying to figure out good movesets for my pokemon so heres who im trying to train blaziken, swampert, serpieror, it was a mistake giving him frenzy plant, so ive gotta replace that with leaf storm, shelgon, annd weavile. ive gotta evolve ralts into gallade so that i can breed a pawniard to learn psyco cut man so much to do...

15. Treadshot A1

Both Blaziken and Serperior are useless with your current pokemons, and that is a guarantee. The only exception is if they are both Dream World pokemon, with Speed Boost Blaziken and Perversity Serperior being the only good versions of these two pokemon.

Shelgon/Salamence just needs Flamethrower/Draco Meteor/Outrage/Earthquake. You can opt for Fire Blast for more power and Dragon Dance to boost.

Gallade's actually quite good, as Psycho Cut hits the many new fighting types for SE damage, and resists Stone Edge.

Normally I'd tell you to put Ice Shard on Weavile, but i think that's an egg move, no?

16. Dr Wheeljack

Dr Wheeljack 3DS

I have a Adamant teping any one have squirtle for trade? Friend code 4899-6344-9070

17. Tirade

I've been able to breed a couple of flawless shiny pokes now (Darumaka, Axew). So I think I have the hang of it. Biggest issue is advancing to the shiny frame using Chatots. The only RNG area I'm worried about now is Dream World Pokemon. I'm not sure if I can figure out the process to get flawless Dream pokes. I don't need a certain nature. I can use an Everstone for that (since I plan to use those Dream pokes as breeding stock).

18. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The Global Link website has finally announced when the Eeveelutions players earned from the 'Befriend a Pokemon' game will be available. Next Thursday, May 19th.

It'll be found under to 'Promotions' tab when they are available.

19. Treadshot A1

Magic Mirror Espeon will be mine!

Not that it's any use, but anyways...

20. Tirade

I didn't realize the Eevee evolutions for this event are all male. What a bummer. Especially if you are looking to breed for some of those DW abilities.