POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

133 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Gen 2

58 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Gen 3

53 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Gen 4

35 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Gen 5

45 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Pokemon League advice for Platinum. What level-ish group would you recommend having before taking them on for the first time? I just run with whatever I catch, not competitive breeding. And I lean towards direct damage attacks, rarely keeping status changes, unless I find them very helpful, like Dragon Dance for Gyarados.

I typically run with:
    Magmortar (currently 54)
    Gyarados (Currently54)
    Luxray (currently 52)
    Machamp/Giratina (Currently 51/52)
    Rhyperior/Rapidash (currently 41/50)
    Meganium (currently 52)

I assume that you can save/heal between the matches, is that correct?

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The Sinnoh Elite range in levels from 49-62, so mid-fifties is generally preferred at minimum.

You can heal between matches but only using whatever items you have at hand. Be sure to buy tons beforehand.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Keep your Gyara, Lux and Meganium.

Mortar i'd ditch, it's just too defensively frail. Same goes for Perior, though that thing hits like a truck, so it's alright.

Your Champ intrigues me. If it is No Guard and has Dynamicpunch, then use it, duh. But it it is Guts, then you might wanna chuck that in the box and run Tina over it.

Dash really has little to no use, though, Flare Blitz is its only good attacking option, and that ain't great in itself.

I really don't know what you're gonna do, though, as you don't have anyone on your team who screams at me "Ice Beam user!". Are there any Staryu in the water? Hell, anything in the water that can learn Ice Beam? Because it would be very useful, you're team seems like Garchomp is going to wall it all day.

If all else fails, do what i did on my scramble challenge: Hax your way through it. Double Team Staraptor always works, with Aerial Ace and Fly, plus Leftovers, can take a real beating and knock down many opponents.

4. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So no backing out to the PokeCenter? What about saving between matches? I was afraid of that...

Champ is Guts and does not have DynamicPunch yet.

Gyarados can learn Ice Beam with TM. I have Staryu, but he's only in the 20's so far. Would he be a better replacement for Dash?

I have a Gabite that in the low 40's, would it be worth sinking time in getting him up to Garchomp before taking them on and using him?

I have a Staraptor I can grind up fairly quickly, but I was thinking Murkrow as an alt, for the Flying/Dark combo...

5. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'm not going to dig around for the website itself, but if you run a search through this thread, you can find it - which included a full database of domestic and even international event Pokemon and their PKM files. Their site is probably updated with the US version of the Mew by now to boot. Treadshot's wrong about there not being any such thing.

Probably have to do it myself again because I forgot all about the Mew event. And only fifteen days when others have been offered for nearly two months?

6. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once you go through the door to face the Elite Four, you cannot go back. You can save between matches, but you can't go to a Pokemon Center. So it's HIGHLY recommended that you bring lots of Max Potions, Full Heals, Full Restores, and Revives.

Also, with the Elite Four themselves, you can walk into their rooms and walk anywhere and still heal your Pokemon or save, the battle doesn't start until you talk to them. But with the Champion, some games the battle starts as soon as you walk in the room, and other times it starts when you get close enough to the Champion. So heal your Pokemon and save before you walk into the Champion's room.

7. Lob-Lob

Lob-Lob Hammer time.

It was just my luck to run into a shiny Pidgey in my SoulSilver today BEFORE you receive your first set of Pokeballs, since I started over. What made it worse was the Pidgey made my Totodile faint and drop 48 dollars "in a panic", lol. How dare that Pidgey taunt me with its elusive shiny coloring and lucky critical hit that owned my Totodile. D:

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I think that may be the only situation where I'd ragequit in Pokemon :lol  Kudos for handling it better than I ever could.
    Oh, and shiny Oddish. Yay...

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Then chuck Champ away, it's useless to you with Guts when it comes to fighting 4 battles in a row, as that means Toxic Orb is more of a curse than a blessing.

Gyara's alright with Ice Beam, but you'd be a fool to use it. Gyarados is famed for it's crazy high Attack, not Special Attack base stat. So using Ice Beam (a special attack) is stupid on it. Starmie can rape with a set of Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Recover and a Life Orb. Definitely sac Dash for it, you can't lose with both Gyara and Starmie on your team. I'm assuming your Gyara knows Dragon Dance, of course.

Gabite is alright, but i don't see a need for him on your team, your team should be able to survive. Having Chomp is a boon, though, and if you don't mind, raise it, give it Fire Fang (Move Relearner), EQ (TM), Crunch (level) and Dragon Claw (TM or level).

Regardless Murkrow or Honchkrow, you shouldn't bother, and Staraptor is a last ditch resort. Just follow the other suggestions and you'll do fine.

Code:
    Magmortar (currently 54) [B]Use Gabite, Fire Fang does the job better than STAB from Mortar anyday.[/B]
    Gyarados (Currently54) [B]Keep, use RestTalk Dragon Dance Waterfall. NOT SURF, WATERFALL!!![/B]
    Luxray (currently 52)
    Machamp/[U][B]Giratina[/B][/U] (Currently 51/52)
    Rhyperior/Rapidash (currently 41/50) [B]Use Starmie with above set[/B]
    Meganium (currently 52)

10. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Shiny Oddishes are terrible. I saw one in the safari zone. That's like a middle finger to the face, -_-

BB28

11. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I got the shiny Oddish during my Nuzlocke. I hate it...But now I can get a purple Belossum :p 

12. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
    Hey guys, can someone explain to me what a "Nuzlocke" is?

13. Shockwavexodius

Shockwavexodius Psychologically instable

I've made myself a Black and White team for Gen. 5:

Pendoraa
    Shandera
    Kojondo
    Burungeru
    Shinpora
    Agirudaa

These are the Pokemon I plan to get for Black and White.

14. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Got guardian signs today through gamefly. Love the game to death, but I hate how it's gonna make my touch screen look. -_-

BB28

15. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks again!

Think I'll head to the re-learner tonight and try it out. :) 

OT: When you catch a shiny, if it evolves, will it still be shiny, or does it lose it when/if it evolves?

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they meant Nuzleaf.

Here's my B/W Team:

Emboar
    Dentula
    Burunkeru (or is it Burungeru as you said? Darn Japanese and their g/k sayings)
    Oobemu
    Erefuun
    Kirikizan

17. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I'm thinking of doing a Nuzlocke myself, or maybe a Hard Mode. Anybody got some limitations to give me? I'd be working on either Emerald or Pearl.

19. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「私は眠い」

News Credits:
  20. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

A shiny will always be shiny, even if/when it evolves.