POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

141 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Gen 2

63 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Gen 3

58 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Gen 4

41 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Gen 5

51 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Either or. I just wanna be able to play them on current hardware on the off chance my 3DS XL decides to shuffle off the mortal coil.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gregatron

Gregatron La Li Lu Le Lo

News Credits:
    The same strategy (Slowking/Slowbro) I used for Cinderace works for Greninja too. Just had to make a few adjustments. I just caught it. This one gave me a bit more trouble than Cinderace.

I saw a Youtuber use Slack Off, so I used that instead of Chilling Water. It came in handy since he kept spamming night slash on me.
    Turn 1+2 use Iron Defense
    Turn 3 use Slack Off
    Greninja debuffs everybody - only time he does it the whole battle
    Turn 4-6 use Iron Defense
    Turn 7-9 use Nasty Plot
    Turn 10+ spam Stored Power
    I did another slack off in there too, to play it safe.

Held item was Shell Bell.

The biggest thing that helped me was having an Arboliva do the seed sower thing so I kept gaining HP, and Tauros or something else with intimidate. Keep resetting until you get that if you're having trouble.

Slowking Stats
    IMG_1163.jpg

Greninja Stats
    Along with these moves, he knows Toxic Spikes and Double Team.
    IMG_1164.jpg

3. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Yup got one by that method too, helped having a Tauros and Staraptor on the team though.

I however used zoom lens to counter Greninja's double teams.

4. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Easy way to avoid the debuff from Greninja in solo mode? Do nothing, wait it out. Moves like those are timer-based so if you sit and do nothing but let the timer roll once you join, Greninja debuffs automatically. Then you can immediately launch into your Slow of choice’s buffs without fear.

5. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    remember that you can use the cheers to buff up the crew and recent discoveries revealed that they last even after the raid pokemon debuffs you.

I still use the slowbro and shell bell from the cinderace raid, first turn iron defense. second cheer for defense, let it debuff, iron defense, nasty plot, stored power/slackoff, rince/repeat. beat it twice by myself. just beware of the crits of night slash.

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I haven't commented much here since my disappointment with Sword and Shield but I'm having a blast with Scarlet and Violet. While EV training in the cave in Area 0 in Violet with the Chansey, after finishing my first round before resting for another go, I decided to pickup all the items in the cave. While doing so I was keeping an eye out for any Shiny that might pop up. Somehow I missed a Greavard candle right in front of me and ran right into. Wouldn't you know the damn thing was shiny. This was the main shiny I was looking for in the cave other than the Paradox Pokemon.

Anyway, on Greninja, I found a build for a Vaporeon that works well. Moves are Acid Armor, Aqua Ring, Calm Mind, and Stored Power holding Covert Cloak. I beat Greninja with the Cinderace Slowbro in both games the first time but had trouble on the rematches. Vaporeon works well for this fight, assuming no horrible luck due to Double Team. Covert Cloak will hold of poison form Gunk Shot. Using Blatan's idea to modify the strategy, after the de-buff hit Acid Armor once, then Aqua Ring followed by 2 Acid Armor, 6 Calm Mind, 1 attack cheer, then 3 Stored Power without using the Tera Orb. Hit it 3 times and it is done.

Edit: With Vaporeon's Water Absorb ability, if Greninja uses Hydro Pump that is free health for you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  7. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Tried Vaporeon today in Scarlet with no problem. Take on Greninja in Violet, Oh boy was that rough. First battle it KOs me with a crit Gunk Shot that takes 2/3 of my health with may defense maxed at 6 levels with Acid Armor. Second battle, hit him with 3 Stored Power with level 6 in def, special def, special at, and an attack cheer so it ran out of time. Had to waste a cheer on the second try because of a crit Gunk Shot again. I beat it third time. Most of my other times this hasn't been an issue. EV is max in SA and HP, IV best or hyper trained in all but attack. Nature is Adamant. I really hope the next unrivaled isn't as cheap as Greninja with all those double teams.

8. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

With the 3DS and Wii U EShop closing next month, I find myself at the end of the line with regards to my Pokèmon journey, and what a journey it was!

I know I could get the newer games on Switch and start anew, but I just don't have the interest in the Pokèmon games that I used to (or the budget for them... or a Nintendo Switch console).

I have a Zapdos, Headshot. I caught him back in Pokèmon FireRed Version and he was one of the few Pokèmon that didn't get wiped when my kid sister found my Pokèmon Platinum Version game card and erased the save data (and all the Pokèmon I'd migrated to Platinum... roughly 70% of all the Pokèmon I'd caught across Ruby, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald Versions up to that point).

Headshot has kicked tail across four game generations, from Kanto, to Johto, to Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, the Sevii Islands, Alola, and even Sinnoh, but I don't want his adventure to end just because I'm hanging up my Pokèdex. I know it's ridiculous, being this sentimental about a couple lines of hexadecimal code, but darn it, I'd like to see someone take him to where I can't.

Part of me wants to do what Ash did with Butterfree and later Charizard in the anime, but another part doesn't want all that training and adventure to go to waste.

Maybe that's the last lesson the Pokèmon series has to teach fans that have grown up with the series; how to let go.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    You could migrate your stuff over to Pokemon home. It’s free up to 30 Pokémon. Home will probably not go away like Bank. It’s tied to phones and the Switch and I feel like future consoles will use it too. So if you do plan to come back it will be there.

10. strangeguy32000

Is that one on 3DS?

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
  12. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not like the closing of the eshop is going to delete Pokemon Bank off of your 3DSs. As long as you've downloaded the app before the eshop closes, you can still utilize Pokemon Bank, and transfer all of those Pokemon in it to Pokemon Home. Again, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the case that after the eshop closes, for those who already had Pokemon Bank beforehand all of its services become free?

• Like Like x 1
  13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    No you are correct about Bank.

14. strangeguy32000

I wasn't aware of the latter until 28 hours ago.

15. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Just a random thing, but holy hell does this edit make Mega Heracross 100 times more appealing.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Red to yellow, no forehead thing and a smile.
    .....yeah, it good.

18. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Yeah like Tigran said if he's interested in playing the game a starter deck would be the way to go, as it'll come with a basic 'deck' plus stuff used to play the game like a playmat and damage counters. The two most recent I think would be the Zeraora VS Deoxys decks and the Lycanroc VS Corviknight decks.

If he's looking for nice looking Pokemon cards, I would suggest anything to do with the Crown Zenith special set. Now nothing is guaranteed from packs, but there's a lot of really nice cards in the set, and it's the most recent release for the TCG as well. Here's a picture list to see what kinds of cards can come out of the packs for that set.

If he has a favorite Pokemon, it also might be worth just buying an individual card of that Pokemon. Sites like tcgplayer or places like it would be best to search for a specific Pokemon's cards.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

In the g1 games what is a good moveset for my cloyster, that has hyper beam and clamp, and my zapdos which has drill peck and thunderbolt if I was going to try competing?

I have a Exeggutor that has psychic, double-edge, mega drain and sleep powder

20. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I want to say Icebeam is good to have.. but it's gen 1.. 99 percent of the game is broken.