POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

141 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Gen 2

63 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Gen 3

58 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Gen 4

41 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Gen 5

51 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I understand the programming restrictions that don't make every 'mon available but that doesn't mean I won't wish for better use of the stuff that IS available.

A good chunk of the Sinnoh 'dex is evolutions for older entries. IDEALLY that sort of stuff would be enjoyed throughout the game but like 90% of it's locked behind postgame content.

They fixed that in Platinum; why go back to the boring ways for these remakes?!

• Like Like x 3
  2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

*snobbish nitpicker voice* Actually, its more like 50%: Gallade, Lickilicky, Togekiss, Magnezone, Electivire, Magmortar, Mamoswine, Ambipom, Roserade, Froslass, Honchkrow, Mismagius, and Weavile are all available before the Pokemon League (though for Weavile its only available as of Victory Road) while Glisgor, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Dusknoir, Leafeon, Glaceon, Probopass, Yanmega, and Porygon-Z are locked to postgame.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  3. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I'm sorry, but if Gen 7 can have all 780+ mons on the fucking 3DS there is no excuse not to allow you to have all of the Mons eventually in Gen 8, even if there is no Dex to hold the info it is still a thing that hampers what people can do with the games. And that is what some folks are upset with, considering that we were told previously that all future Gens after X/Y would be able to keep the animation models and stuff for the Mons going forward to save on programming time.

1) I don't own a stupid smart phone so that is pointless to me.
    2) I'm not putting my one of a kind 3DS era Legendaries I got from events into Home if they wind up being stuck there and eventually lost to the 'cloud' or whatever the fuck it is called because I miss a yearly subscription cost or can't pull them back into a physical card like Sword/Shield or whatever Gen 9 becomes.

The biggest problem with Pokemon these days is the complete and utterly moronic need to push a new Gen every three years or sooner. They aren't losing money if they take their time to make a new title and do it right, Pokemon is a guaranteed seller, their biggest problem is their popularity, they need to keep pushing and pushing to keep the franchise going, it's like the MCU, take a break and they're afraid the audience will go off to something else.

That has destroyed the quality of the games, X/Y was a pretty dismal story coming off of the epic tales of Unova in the end of the DS era and Sun/Moon and their upgrades really got a shitty post game with very little to do and no real hook to keep you coming back months later. I haven't even played Sword/Shield yet because I don't own one, but I need to pick up a copy before the end of Jan so I can use the code I got for a Shiny Legendary. And really I just feel that the storytelling has completely suffered the tighter the deadlines become. Evil Group threatens new Region, Plucky Protagonist Player comes in to save the day, rinse, repeat. I feel that Unova really shook things up a bit more and dared to take risks, Kalos was just Genocidal Madman Douche which you stop pretty early on compared to other titles, Alola is Mad Woman Nutbar seeking out creatures beyond the dimensional barriers and the Evil Team had no real bearing on the plot whatsoever and I have no clue about Galar, but chances are it's weaksauce rush job basic storytelling.

If The Pokemon Company is really that afraid of not keeping the interest of kids so they dumb things down to make it easier and shit then they really don't understand how to run a high performance media franchise. The Anime should have retired Ash ages ago and introduced new protagonists, maybe have Ash show up as a mentor figure or something, there's only so long you can keep on the same protagonist before you find yourself falling flat.

Even Transformers takes breaks every once in a while to reboot the franchise to keep things fresh. Pokemon is turning into The Simpsons of Anime and that is just pathetic.

And as far as the storylines in the games, like I said, they need to get back to the more serious nature and progressiveness that was introduced with Unova.

Maybe Galar will actually impress me once I get started on it, who can say. All I know for sure is, they need to shake things up a bit more to retain their audience interest.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Do you want bad guy spoilers to temper expectations?

5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

If it's that much of a problem for you, perhaps you need to turn of the damn games, go outside, and get some air.

And this is coming from an effing introvert.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Yeah this makes Prfctcellrulz. Put every Pokémon back in 1 game like Sun and Moon complaint feel super reasonable and easy compared to this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
  7. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I get where you are coming from.

But the cards, merchandise, anime and everything else that makes Pokemon money and is also on a tight schedule need new gens to keep things going.

To push a gen back is to push everything else back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Thing about the Pokémon anime is that people seem to not care, even in Japan. It’s basically an advertisement with the length of an anime.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The anime isn't even focused entirely on the Galar region, instead they're having Ash and Goh visiting all eight regions. That actually seems like the perfect premise to have delayed this Generation. They could have spent the time revisiting the other regions until they were ready to move on to the Galar region.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Obviously, they were busy promoting swsh and go, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    AND Mega Evolutions/Primal Kyogre & Groudon/Ultra Necrozma

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That honestly would have been a smart thing. Put an extra year in between the end of Sun and Moon and the release of Sword and Shield and have Ash and Goh just traveling to various regions. Then at the end of it have them tease Galar a bit. Like they used to do, such as Togepi in the original season, or Munchlax during Gen 3 and some others having statues in Mystery Dungeon.

My biggest issue with what they're doing with the anime this Gen though is how it just has the biggest disconnect with what the games are. Someone wants to say the Japanese version never really had the tagline of Gotta Catch Em All? Well they sure embraced it with Goh and his whole goal of doing that. He's caught many a Pokemon that aren't even in Sword and Shield, including DLCs. It has always personally baffled me that they went with a new main character who has a goal of catching them all, when this was the first Gen you literally COULDN'T within the main games.

And I believe there is no GOOD reason we could not have every Pokemon CODED into the game. Crunched on development time? They could've delayed everything, OR planned for longer development, OR put more people/hands on board to get more done. They want the game to be played with the Pokemon they've selected as available the region? No reason we can't use the rest of the Pokemon on our own playthroughs and have online limit what can be used. It's Pokemon, one of if not THE biggest media franchise in the world, if everyone involved in it wanted something to happen I think they would make it happen. But nope. We've been getting rushed, glitchy, increasingly divisive games since Gen 6 I would say. I'm personally getting tired of it. I bought Shining Pearl because I knew at the end of the day it would be Gen 4 again which I enjoyed, and so far of what I've played of the remake I have had more enjoyment than I did with Sword.

Legends Arceus though they will have to sell me on a good game before I buy that. Like I will wait until after the game releases, watch playthroughs, see people's opinions and reviews, then decide if the game is worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Exactly all of this. Instead of rushing new games, cutting half the Pokemon (and popular gimmicks) out of the game, and splitting the fanbase in half like Kung Lao with his magic sawblade hat, push the release date back a year, make sure EVERYTHING is 100% good to go, THEN send it out!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Well, considering I barely touch the games unless it's the weekend because I work 9-5 and am out of the house most days that's not really a problem for me.

Excuse me for having an opinion then, but when it comes to storytelling there is only so many times you can see the same exact beats playing over and over again before you get tired/burned out on the damn things. I am creative person, I cook up storylines as a hobby and when I see some of what has come out of The Pokemon Company in the past half decade I cringe a little inside at some of the sheer absurd leaps in logic and lacking of any decent story progression going on. I mean seriously, we went from weak limited Post Game stuff in Red/Blue/Yellow to passable Post Game events in Gold/Silver/Crystal to the GBA and DS eras were Post Games in re-makes became these big sprawling mini-arcs to the 3DS era where Post Game stories became really, really shortlived and barely there. I can't say much for the Switch era, I haven't played through a third of it yet since I still haven't even finished Let's Go Eevee.

I'm not expecting Gunga Din or Ben Hur or something, but a little more thought and some clever ideas that help refresh the tired and tropey joke of a concept that makes you really want to come back and keep exploring after the main championship is beat is not asking too much. The older you get the more you want out of your gaming experience. That being said, at least it isn't convoluted hell like Kingdom Hearts storyline. And I still LIKE Kingdom Hearts as a franchise.

Yeah, see, that's why they had re-makes after every main Gen introduced, to give them time to develop things and keep the cards and anime going. X and Y had no Remakes before Sun and Moon hit because Sun and Moon were clearly rushed since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon hit barely two years later with minimal new content and some changes to the basic storyline. Then we had Sword and Shield. There was Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby and the Let's Go games that kind of helped a little, but I would say that since Gen 5 we have not had a significant re-make experience of the current Gen before the new Gen was introduced. Gen 5 bucked that trend by introducing a Sequel title for the first time, but with Gen 6 we had no re-makes. Gen 7 had more of an Expansion Pack add-on than a Re-Make and Gen 8 is also relying on DLC expansions instead of making Re-Makes.

It's kind of telling that the Current Gen Re-Makes went the way of the Dinosaurs and now the game titles have gotten less and less refined going forward and have even less breathing room for anything concerning the larger product range.

• Like Like x 1
  15. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I feel like they could've put this out closer to BDSP's release.

• Like Like x 2
  16. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been playing through Brilliant Diamond with friends and was inspired to make this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Both Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are on my Christmas list this year and I’m already looking forward to playing the games. Hopefully, I’ll get either one or both around that time. I even already planned out my teams for said games.

Brilliant Diamond:
    Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Roserade
    Gallade
    Houndoom
    Clefable

Shining Pearl:
    Infernape
    Gastrodon
    Togekiss
    Magnezone
    Mismagius
    Drapion

18. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    do any of you guys still need shiny zacian/zamazenta codes? I got two extra of each

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I need a shiny zacian code

20. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Okay so this is just fan speculation based on few rumors but tell me what you think. The rumors have been that at least if all the sinnoh Pokémon will be in the game that raises o e question, what of the fossils which by this point should’ve died out but unable to revive due to lack of technology? What’s the possibility of seeing hisuin form Rampardos and Bastiodon?