POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

130 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Gen 2

57 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Gen 3

53 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Gen 4

34 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Gen 5

44 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Didn’t occur to me to breed them so I just caught Tyrogues and got lucky with Hitmontop on like my third try!

Hitmontop is also an overworld spawn in certain weather at Lack of Outrage but a rare one I think.

Max Raids are theoretically useful for version exclusives but of course no guarantees when you’re not hosting - Gmax Appletun is a particular sore point for me. Being a guest on a non-Gmax is easier but still not guaranteed, damn you five-star Drampa.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been digging deeper into Pokemon Ultra Moon again. Now enjoying the post game content, Rainbow Rocket is just the right amount of fanservice for me I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Woohoo! I finally captured a Gigantamax Snorlax thanks to some help of some other players. I'm convinced that it's impossible to beat 5 star raids with only the help of NPCs. Also had some luck with surprise trades. I managed to get a Sobble, Galarian Ponyta and Galarian Corsola.

I could use some help with getting some other Shield exclusives though. I'm in need of Eiscue, Grookey, Appletun, Dracovish and Arctovish... And if somebody wants to be really kind, Zamazenta.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah you at least need one other person helping you if you want to take down a 5 Star raid.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

I've actually been able to do plenty of 5 star raids on my own. Some of the Gigantamax ones (Drednaw, particularly) are definitely tougher/more annoying. And a few have really obnoxious tricks to them. I've mentioned before the Contrary Shuckle, which also has an unusually high number of shield parts to break. I did that one on my own, as well. You can definitely do them on your own given sufficient preparation (mostly just know your type advantages).

One thing to keep in mind is that AI Pokemon are always 70% of your Pokemon's level. So the highest they can be is level 70. That said, 5 star raid Pokemon tend to cap out at around 60 so whether you fail or not is largely dependent on which Pokemon are chosen (e.g. ones that are weak against the raid Pokemon). But if you want "easy" 5 star raids, having your Pokemon at level 100 is a must. Don't forget your EXP candies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hardest raid I've had so far was 5 Star Hydreigon. With how fast it is and the number of attacks you definitely want human allies because the AI ones can't keep up with how savage it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

So, how do you get the Gigantamax Snorlax raid? I have someone who just booted up the game not too long ago and got the Wild Area News, but hasn't found Snorlax hence. There was a two star one who fucked up they and their allies.

8. Sparky Prime

I find that no matter the preparation, the game always screws me over with the NPCs. My Pokemon can handle a 5 star Raid Boss on its own, but the NPC's always get knocked out too easily. I especially love seeing Solrock and Wobbuffet, which will just keep doing stat boosting moves (that the Raid Boss immediately nullifies) and then get OHKOd by a super effective move the raid boss has. They are a liability that makes the raid more difficult.

5 Star Raids can also go above level 60. The Snorlax I just got is level 70.

It'll show up randomly. Took me a couple days after getting the Wild Area News to see one.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I found a 4 star one in the first den i checked. the NPCS weren't alot of help but they at least their pokemon were buff enough to take a hit and survive unlike so many whose3 pokemon i swear were made from tissue paper.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

I've had difficulty with 5 star raids like everyone else but I've faced 9 G-max Snorlax and captured all 9.

I hate it when I enter a raid and there is a Magikarp or a Togepi or a Eevee. Last night I had a chance to face a G-max Sandaconda. Guess what the NPC were?

After losing, I tried again and, Magikarp, Togepi and Solrock. When I saw Solrock at first I was like Alright! A So- and then I remembered this fool only does Cosmic Power. But somehow we beat Sandaconda but it was too early for a dusk ball so I used an Ultraball and broke free after 1 shake.

Hopefully soon I'll get another chance for a G-MAX Sandaconda.

11. Sparky Prime

The raid dens count as a cave, so you'd still get a 3x catch rate with a dusk ball regardless of the time of day.

12. MetalRyde

:cry :banghead: 

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I thought it has been datamined that the raids -don't- count as caves.

14. Sparky Prime

From everything I've seen, they do count as caves.

15. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Thanks for the heads up on Gigantamax Snorlax. Gonna have to tell them to pretty much just check the raids every now and then.

So, where is a good source of Dusk Balls? There sources other than the Watt merchants?

16. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

What merchant is the best place to get them, cheaper and after a while you'll be swimming in watts.

17. gil

gil Godmaster

I beat a Gigantamax Snorlax and threw a regular Pokeball at it he broke free. Later I found another one and saved right before battle. Beat him again and threw An Ultranall but he broke free. Reset and did that 3 more times. After the third time I gave up on the catch and just took the victory. Soooo, Dusk ball you say?

Also, I fought with NPCs and don’t know how much stars the Snorlax was. Also, My team gets murdered by a Dynomaxed ladybug Pokémon. mostly the NPCs.

18. MetalRyde

Not sure but I believe the merchants in the Wild Area item availability changes everyday.

But Hammerlocke has the duskballs for $1000. Earning money is very easy in SW/SH. Wild Area is filled with treasure and in Stow-on-side, one of the shops outside has a guy who will buy 1 specific treasure from you for ALOT more than what you can get from the pokémart. It too changes everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    yeah money is ridiculously easy to get , i have over a million bucks and i have not even really tried that hard to make money. I think it would be relatively easy to make enough cash to buy all the clothes for which ever character you chose to plays male or female and still have a sufficient amount to spare..

20. MetalRyde

Cool. The skilled digging brother got me a fossilized fish.

And finally got a G-MAX Sandaconda.

Golurk's Iron Fist ability, would Hammer Arm get it's effect?