POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

129 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Gen 2

56 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Gen 3

51 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Gen 4

34 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Gen 5

43 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I mean...they can play the other games. That's always an option. But I mean, the anime follows different rules anyways and is way more for merchandising then anything. They aren't just going to have only 400 pokemon show up in the series.

I don't know, I don't see it as a big deal.

To me just because certain Pokemon aren't in the current games, doesn't stop them from existing in the past games altogether. If I want to use Talonflame I can just start a new XY game.

2. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wouldn't surprise me if they only had the same certain number of Pokémon show up throughout the Sun and Moon anime. For one example, Sunkern has apparently not even been seen in the show since Gen 4. I found several Gen 6 Pokémon that were not in any Sun and Moon episodes either. You're right in that the anime follows different rules, but if its supposed to be for marketing, why 'market' all these different Pokémon that probably WON'T be getting any new merchandise or are even available in the new games? Why not just stick to the "new" region with all its new Pokémon that will be getting merchandise? I think of what we've seen for the new show so far the only Pokémon I expect to be getting new merchandise is Scorbunny, Yamper, and Pikachu.

And Pokémon existing only in past games definitely stops them from existing with newer Pokémon. Even if you want to go start a game on an old game, you won't be able to have Talonflame with Duraludon for example. And the further back you go the less Pokémon you have available because they just didn't exist then. Only having a certain amount of Pokémon available in a region is not new and I have no problem with that, but to not even have half of the old Pokémon coded in to allow us to TRANSFER missing ones from past regions/games is a BIG problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Ah, Jim Sterling... I love your shitposts....

"The entire pokedex should be renamed into Pokesneks and just be snakes!"

4. toaprime

toaprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for the annoying requests folks, last one for a while...

If anyone has an extra code for a Shiny Lunala that they do not mind giving to me, please PM or reply to me.

As a shiny hunter, the fact that Pokémon Pass will not generate the code for me even after I scanned the QR code is irritating.

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 3
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Fuck that. I call bullshit.

They’re just too damn lazy and only care about getting it done for Christmas, at the expense of hardcore fans like myself, who spent a fuckton of blood, sweat, and tears, completing my Pokédex, and going the extra mile and getting almost all of them Shiny, plus all the alternate forms and variants, not to mention tracking down all the Mega Stones and Z-Crystals.

Game Freak just doesn’t care, and this boycott is our retaliation at them for not caring. They need to learn “Every Mon Counts”.

#BringBackNationalDex
    #BringBackMegaEvolutions
    #BringBackZMoves

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fallout

Fallout call me alabama i'm a seminole prize

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i mean, i hate the dex cutting shit too, but if you put "blood, sweat and tears" into the game you might be doing something wrong

• Like Like x 3
  8. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My 999:59 in-game clocks since Gen VI say otherwise.

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I love how most of these people can't make a damn Mario Maker level worth 2 shits.. but some how thing they know how a company should make a million dollar game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    As someone who has been playing since the start and has completed the Pokédex, collected every Z move, mega stone and has numerous shiny Pokémon (definitely not all because I don’t got the time for that).
    I still don’t give a shit about the fan hate and I’m buying Sword for myself and Shield for my girlfriend. Yes it breaks my heart that Squirtle got cut but I got over it in like an hour because I’m a grown man and don’t let videos games dictate my life.

• Like Like x 4
  11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

To have sat at a table with six 8 to 12 year olds today and listen to them talk about this, while all wearing Pokemon merch and have bags and show their cards, and to hear them say “I’m sad _____ isn’t in, but it’s ok they’ll be back”, and then see this post is amazing.

It is a shame they aren’t all there, but that’s all it is- a shame. It had to happen at some point, unfortunately. Might as well be when they jump to a new system.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound to me like the game developers the person who wrote this piece talked to really have any experience with the Pokemon games or the models, given it starts out with a quote that they're surprised by how many models they have. I've seen similar discussions with/from game developers who actually have worked with the models ripped from the 3DS and Let's Go games, and they said pretty much the opposite, that it really wouldn't be that difficult. Sure, it would take time to update the textures for so many Pokemon (although they would have had a head start thanks to Let's Go already having done some of them a year prior), but the idea this article puts out that moving to a new platform is hard isn't entirely true. I mean, it points out it's a question of backwards compatibility, but then it completely glosses over that by only discussing the potential difficulties. It ignores Gamefreak really did go out of their way to "future proof" the models when they initially made them for the 3DS, as developers have proven the models are exactly the same between the 3DS and the Let's Go games (they won't know for sure with Sw/Sh until they can rip the models from them as well, but visual analysis would indicate they are the same there as well), just with new higher quality textures. They wouldn't be completely redoing all of the models for Sw/Sh. Not to mention, there is model data in 3DS games that they didn't even use for anything (such as walking/running animations). Besides, Gamefreak themselves have never said the work involved was ever the problem. The only reason Masuda has given for cutting the amount of Pokemon in Sw/Sh was for competitive balancing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 3:15 PM
  13. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    here's some funny Spoiler memes I've found.
    galar reads.png
    arceus not in galar.png
    hatterene line.png
    I'd post them in the funny's thread, but thought here was more appropriate for the time...

• Like Like x 2
  14. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Could you cite some sources on where you’ve read that?

15. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Just pre ordered Sword, went with shopto.net as they always send games out early and partner is giving birthday on the 14th so I’d like to at least try and have a go before my child becomes my priority :lol 

16. Sparky Prime

I can do a bit better than that. Here's a clip (there's a longer version somewhere that explains a few more details) of a video showing a direct comparison of the model for Vaporeon ripped from the 3DS games and Let's Go on Switch. The wireframes are exactly the same, with the only difference being the textures.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

As weird as it is.. We are still assuming that the "Future proofing" that they did... was actually successful. After all, they could have thought they future proofed the models and such.. but when actually trying to port them over, shit broke.

• Like Like x 3
  18. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Ahh cheers, that’s interesting.

I will say textures take a crazy amount of time in other games (I remember an old WoW vid talking about painting textures and it was one of the most time consuming jobs), but they’re on buildings etc. Regardless though at some point it had to happen, it’s a massive shame but there was never gonna be a good time to do it.

19. Sparky Prime

If porting them over didn't work, then they would have had to come up with completely new models for Let's Go for them to run properly on the Switch. That isn't the case however, as again, modelers who have ripped them from the games have proven they are still the exact same models, just with new textures.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 6:26 PM
  20. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of the models ripped from Lets go. Got a website for direct comparisons?