POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

141 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Gen 2

63 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Gen 3

58 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Gen 4

41 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Gen 5

51 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I have no clue, other than maybe Detective Pikachu. edit: i for got about the remake of the first Pokemon Movie

• Like Like x 3
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Cool. I usually don't watch the anime because of Jessie and James.

I stopped watching during the Diamond and Pearl era.

3. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

They remade the original movie?

4. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Yup

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Cool.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Mate without those two, the show would be a little dull. They get all the best lines.

• Like Like x 3
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

It's amazing how this franchise captures kids even after almost a quarter-century.

My twins are almost 7, and Pokémon cards are huge at their school (they don't know how to actually play the game, they just collect them). My kids started with the cards, then got toys, stuffed animals, and iPad apps. We finally let them start watching the original show on Netflix, and they can't get enough of it. They already know the theme almost by heart ("I wanna be the very best...") and yesterday they were constantly spouting Team Rocket's infamous motto :D 

I was in college when Pokémon became a thing in the US, so I didn't grow up with it, but I did enjoy the games, and I occasionally watched the show. I played through Blue (I chose Squirtle :D ), Gold (Cyndaquil), and Sapphire (Mudkip). Well, with my kids getting so into it, and needing to kill some time when spending a week in the hospital, I fired up Sapphire on my DS. The battery in the cartridge has died, but I can still play normally, just without time-based events. I picked Torchic this time and I recently defeated the second gym leader (Brawly?). So far, the mainstays on my team are Combusken, Taillow, Shroomish, Makuhita, and occasionally Whismur, with the last slot still in flux (I'm trying to train up an Aron).

• Like Like x 7
  8. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I mean, I can get that people might not be happy about not being able to move their "living dex" to SwSh.....but this level of outrage? C'mon.

The whole thing doesn't bother me too much because I've had 7 generations of previous games, with multiple occasions in each generation to use those older Pokémon. Why would I want to go to a new region, filled with new Pokémon, only to reuse the same old 'Mons again and again?

By the sounds of things, GF will keep SwSh isolated to force people to try something new, then allow living dexes to be used again in Gen 9. That gen will then probably have compatibility back to Gen 8 through Bank/ Home, allowing you to finally integrate your stand-alone Galar dex with the living dex in the Gen 9 games.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MetalRyde

My real problem is them saying their motto in each episode. Torture city, man.

10. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    But then how would you know to prepare for trouble? Or make it double?!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Oh that can be tiresome I agree, but Jessie and James and Meowth are a vital part of the show’s humour.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'm sure that might be it for some fans, but honestly, I haven't really seen many people saying that's their concern about all Pokemon not being in Sw/Sh. People put a lot of time and effort into raising Pokemon as well, that they like to be able to carry over from one generation to the next. Not to mention, any shinies they've collected and various other sentimental reasons.... I mean, a lot of it comes down to favorites that they don't want to have stuck in Home until another game that uses them eventually comes out.

It's not like you can just send over your old team from a previous game right at the start of a new adventure. They've always had it so higher level Pokemon won't obey commands until you've progressed to certain points of the games, as you collect badges/z-crystals. Not to mention, usually you don't have the ability to send Pokemon from older games until you've either reached a certain area in the game, or until several months after the games have been released, when they release/update the apps required to make the transfer. To me, the games have always been designed to allow new Pokemon to shine as you progress through the story. Especially as more and more they have been including some of those Pokemon as plot elements in the story.

I'm not sure where you've gotten that impression from but Junichi Masuda's comments have been that they knew that they wouldn't be able to include all of the Pokemon in the games indefinitely, so they decided that Sw/Sh would be a good time to reevaluate what Pokemon they include in the games moving forward. Unless the fans outcry changes their minds, this is the new status quo for the games, where you can't have all of the Pokemon in the games.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Tell me, what is your favourite part of Pokemon? Because for a lot of people, it was development. It was watching a pokemon they love constantly come back over and over, being developed each time. New TMs, new breeding moves, new things they can do. Let's say Mawile's your favourite, the standout, poor overlooked Gen 3 solo steel type. Just look at how its developed since Gen 3!

Gen 3: In the lowest tier, though solid defence makes it useful in low tier stuff
    Gen 4: Thanks to the split between Physical and Special attacks, its gone up a tier, though not for long
    Gen 5: Thanks to Hidden Abilities, Mawile now has Sheer Force, giving it more raw power to make up for its weak attacking strength
    And then, Gen 6. Thanks to Mega Mawile, Mawile has leapt from the bottom all the way to the top. Not only did it get Fairy to demolish dragons, but Mega Mawile has the highest attack stat in the whole game. A random easily overlooked Pokemon has now gone all the way from 'a nice design but fairly useless in combat' to 'A threat that all high end teams need to keep in mind, that can tear apart powerful dragon types'
    Gen 7 improved on this, giving Mega Mawile more moves

Imagine that's your favourite pokemon.

And now, in this new game, you not only lose Mega Mawile, you're potentially losing Mawile at all. Its losing what it gained in two generations

We're losing Pokemon for no good excuse, and no good explanation

This however, is blatently incorrect. Gamefreak have said, going forward, this is what they want. You will never be able to play with all extant pokemon in the same, single game. And for what? This isn't a big increase like Gen 1 to Gen 3 was, everything we need is in place

This is the first mainline Pokemon game that's on a console, and rather than the game going forwards with innovation, we're losing things the game has had as a staple for years. Things that made Pokemon stand out from other -mon games, like Yokai Watch or Digimon. There are no big system changes as an excuse for why this can't happen. Its disgusting, especially when the other main Pokemon thing keeping people's attention, Go, is rapidly increasing its Pokemon and is about to hit Gen 5 without having to remove previous generations.

And you know what? Any Pokemon you catch in Sw/Sh may be unable to move to Gen 9. Your Wooloo may be kept, eternally trapped in Gen 8

• Like Like x 4
  14. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

It’s been happening in card games for a long time, though. They’ll rotate sets out to keep the meta “fresh”.

I’d take having every Pokemon in as opposed to not, my favourite is murkrow and I doubt they’re making the cut due to the Corvoknight. But really I use Honchkrow on all my teams so now I’m forced to open that spot up and try something new, and that’s fine. My guys will stay in SuMo for the time being and if they decide to not go this way forward in the future they’ll be transferred to whatever one lets them all be in.

I was gutted when I found out you could only use the original 150 in Let’s Go, but I ended up using pokes i’d Never used before and ended up having a really fun time as opposed to getting all the old gang back together.

• Like Like x 3
  15. MetalRyde

It's a 3 way tie on my favorite ghost-type Pokémon: Dusclops, Dusknoir and Golurk.

I'm glad to see them listed on the galar pokédex.

My competitive team used to be Empoleon, Garchomp and Dusknoir but now I have to find replacements to replace Empoleon and Garchomp or make a new team with Golurk. I have a adamant.nature Golurk with iron fist ability I caught in Black that is in UltraSun.

16. Goldlock

News Credits:
    I know that's the case for a lot of people, and I do get the complaints, but the outrage seems a bit.....overblown really.

I'm obviously not one of those people that pops all of my Pokémon into Bank. I keep whatever Mons I raise on the games I've trained them on, so I can go back and carry on from where I left off at any time. I've collected a lot of shinies over the years, and there's something about leaving them in the generation they were caught (especially the older generations, since it was so hard to find them back then) that I prefer to do. I know it's not a popular habit, but the way some "fans" are throwing their toys out of the pram, you'd swear GF had just blocked them from ever accessing anything they'd ever caught & trained across the history of the franchise.

I do appreciate how the later games have encouraged us to use newer Pokémon more. I think a lot of what came from the Gen 5 dex was crap, but I did like that I was forced to try out the new Mons and find that out for myself.

That's GF's official line right now, but they're not stupid. They'll still be in the early development stages of Gen 9, and this backlash is no doubt being heard....how hard they'll rectify things remains to be seen, but Gamefreak's a business designed to make money, so they won't throw away an easy opportunity to make more of it in the end.

I agree that there's no good excuse for them to be omitting any Pokémon, considering today's technology, but I just see an opportunity to "cleanse the pallet" a bit with this move. Silver linings and all that.

My favourite part of Pokémon, incidentally has always been the discovery. Finding and collecting new Mons, with unique designs or type combo's and training then up to experience their evolutions has been the main draw for me. The main thing I like to do with older Pokémon, is breed/train them up in unique ways, to make crazy strategies and test them out in WiFi battles. Trolling people with bulky Toxic Clefable and special sweeper Nidoking is some of the most fun I've had with Pokémon! :D 

As I said above, Gamefreak aren't stupid. They've received enough backlash that they were forced to acknowledge it, so they'll be working on something, even if they're sticking to their PR guns in public for now.

Do I mind if my Wooloo gets left behind in Gen 8? Nah, not really. I'll train one up in Sword, and if it's interesting enough, I'll use it through the main plot on repeat playthroughs or in Shield. Same goes for anything else from SwSh too.

I left a lot of good Mons behind in the switch from Gen 1 to 2 (a lot of my trading friends dropped Pokémon after G1) and again from Gen 2 to 3, so it won't be a fresh wound. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I was happy they included the Alolan forms and Mega Evolutions in Let's Go at least, since I'm already well familiar with the original 151. It added something a little new for what is essentially a remake of the original games at least.

I don't think it's overblown at all personally. I mean, some fans may go a little over the top, but I think the general consensus is spot on. It's always been a staple of the franchise to be able to transfer Pokemon from one generation to the next. GF hated that they couldn't do that moving from Gen 2 to 3, and went out of their way to make sure that never happened again. Yet, now they're intentionally leaving some Pokemon out when they don't have to? It's just a strange decision to see on their part, when they've always been so focused on being able include them all. They may not be blocking fans from accessing those Pokemon not included in Sw/Sh ever again, but as far as Sw/Sh goes, that is essentially what they're doing. And there is no guarantee GF will have all those Pokemon not included in Sw/Sh in the next game.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Goldlock

News Credits:
    I do get it, and agree it's a bit of a "wtf?" decision for GF to randomly make now, of all times.

I think the outrage is typical of the overreaction everywhere these days...it goes beyond straight criticism, and gets so manic that it strays into being funny (not really here, we all seem like functioning human beings :lol ).

I'm sure I'll miss not being able to throw Snorlax or Aerodactyl into the mix, or train up a sweeping Heracross in Galar, but I look at it this way (and I'm not saying by any means that anyone else should use this approach):

It's a child-friendly video game about made-up animals. Nothing more. If it looks good, I'll play it, enjoy the bits I like and happily point out any flaws...or I'll just shrug, not bother buying it and play something else.

That way noone has to waste negativity on things that don't really matter, and the company doesn't get my money due to their decisions. :) 

I know people are worried that GF are screwing the pooch for future games here, but this isn't just a minor mechanic like partner following or contests that they're removing. I'm convinced they aren't stupid enough to not be rectifying things behind the scenes for future installments.

• Like Like x 1
  19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    My fave pokemon is Flygon which luckily he is known to b e in Sword and Shield

• Like Like x 1
  20. MetalRyde

I don't know the term for how my Dusclops is used for.

Held item: leftovers
    Movesets:
    Confuse Ray
    Toxic
    Will-o-wisp
    Shadow punch

My Dusclops is doomed if it faces a fire/steel Pokémon.

Any suggestions?