POKÉMON! The all encompassing thread of 'Gotta catch 'em all!'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by scourge25, Jun 21, 2008.

?

Favorite Pokemon Generation

1. Gen 1

141 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Gen 2

63 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Gen 3

58 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Gen 4

41 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Gen 5

51 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

On the one hand, it's good to see them acknowledging the fans outcry. But on the other, the message completely ignores why fans are so angry about this decision in the first place. Assuring fans the Pokemon not in Sw/Sh will be in future games was never the concern. The message isn't going to appease anyone upset by the exclusion of some Pokemon.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Well, the shitstorm continues across the internet. Thanks for a worthless message. You know, I think Galar might be a region I just don't visit anymore. It'll be nice to have a complete living dex in Alola, but that other Region, we dare not speak it's name. I mean seriously, how hard is it to program a game to include all Pokémon when you go out of your way to re-use the assets from Gen 6 & 7, I hate to say it, but I think I would have preferred it if they stuck to the sprite artwork based games. This move to 3D has been nothing more than a controversial mess, with a lot of elements being ignored or omitted for the sake of making a quick buck.

If the entire point of animating all 700+ Pokémon in 3D for the 3DS titles was to just promptly axe those animations form the next Gen, I think sprite artwork games would have been better for the 3DS era instead of going to all the trouble of taking the effort to 3D ize everything only to start cutting corners to keep up with the yearly new Gen releases.

Gamefreak is so overworked with their half-assed attempts to keep the franchise going on a yearly basis that they have completely fallen flat on their face at this point. Hell, I haven't played a single game since I started Animal Crossing, so I'm a bit behind on my games at the moment which is only going to get worse now that I'm starting up a full time five days a week job after next week, which will cut a lot into my gaming time, but seriously, the entire point of getting such a job was so I could get a Switch for Pokémon before they came out. At this point I think I'll be nabbing that PS4 for Kingdom Hearts III before I ever get a Switch for Pokémon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Good luck to anyone buying the game because this is just adding more fuel to the fire of me not buying it. This is another long ongoing feature of the franchise they're just lazily pissing over, like the Battle Facility or, hell, contests, or even well received features they just didn't bring back like following Pokemon or seasons.

Don't say we didn't warn you when your Wooloo becomes unusable next game. Because that's exactly what's going to happen.

If you want me to use my money, make something worth it and not something that can be outdone by someone using RPG Maker on the internet

• Like Like x 2
  5. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Fan base: "We can do more in a 3DS game. You should fix this."

Masuda: "Inhale my dong, lol."

I was having a lot of fun with this franchise up until the announcement of them cutting out Pokémon. SM/USUM are both fine games in my opinion (hell, people complaining about lack of difficulty should really face a Totem unprepared or try to come at it with even levels) but it really does hit me that those games plain ass have more to them than this game. It's astonishing. SM/USUM could well have more Pokémon than this next generation. Like, where are we moving forward from here? All this is happens to be is a step back.

Never really got the lack of following Pokémon complaint. I thought that was dumb. In the anime/Yellow, Pikachu was just a diva and the other Pokémon who escaped were either depicted as simpletons or divas and others were babies or not owned by trainers. So if a Pokémon is following you, either you are incompetent, your Pokémon are jerks, or your Pokémon are dumb. Most other trainers you could fight didn't have their Pokémon out. One would also imagine that having a giant ass Gyarados, Onyx, Wailord or Steelix, or a Legendary like Rayquaza would turn a few heads and disrupt things a bit.

However, that's the only feature removal that ever really made sense (... as well as getting randomly called by jackass trainers talking about nothing.) I find contests boring, but they gave you something else to do with your Pokémon. The DexNav and rechallenging trainers were a very good features that didn't deserve to be thrown out, continuing to be factors why I remain so fond of Hoenn. USUM's Rotom Powers are instrumental in evolving Pokémon who require high friendship for a complete 'Dex and are likely to not return.

The feature removal that makes least sense by far, I must restate, is this. Removing the core feature that serves as progression across the franchise. It's about Pokémon, why remove Pokémon?
    ___
    Veering off that topic, someone mentioned RPG Maker. It's coming to Switch, right? There a manual on how to make a Pokémon game, because I always had this idea in my head for a spoof.

• Like Like x 1
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Also Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, 2 of, IMO, my most favorite features in the games, also gone. :cry 

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Honestly if it came down to either getting all pokemon or getting mega Evolutions and Z moves, I'd give up Megas and Z moves in a heartbeat.

At any rate it was always clear to me Z moves were always intended as a Alola only thing and i think Mega evolution may have been originally meant to be a Kalos only thing but its popularity was too huge to drop it immediately so it was carried over to the Ruby and Sapphire remakes and half heartedly so to the Sun and Moon games. To me the difficulty of acquiring the mega stones in S/M/US/UM always felt like an attempt to wean players off the mechanic so they could finally drop it.

Honestly to me the biggest mistake Gamefreak has made with this whole no national dex fiasco is not coming to the fans sooner and trying to build an understanding as well as gather feedback soon enough that changes could be made before they release the game. Waiting until E3 to announce it was a huge gamble with a lot of preorders as the stake. How many were cancelled over the loss of the national dex? I have no clue but i'd wager it was not a small number though maybe not yet enough to make Nintendo and Gamefreak sit up and take notice.

I still intend to get the game but i will not be transferring any of my pokemon off US until i can transfer every last one to a piece of physical media i can hold in my own hand. I do not like having to rely on the cloud to safeguard important data for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Only 2 event Pokémon I have will I transfer to the Switch games are Jirachi from the Pokémon Colosseum bonus disc and Deoxys from OR/AS.

I will not transfer Pokémon other than the 2 I mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  9. grimlock1972

News Credits:

Assuming they both make the list to be in the game.

10. MetalRyde

Uh oh...

You mean it's...

(Thinks for a moment)

...aw, shit...

• Like Like x 2
  11. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    yeah sorry to rain on your parade there. I really hope gamefreak reverse course and adds the rest via a patch or patches but for not it seems unlikely.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MetalRyde

This is what happened with Ruby and Sapphire were released, correct? Which led to the creation of Colosseum, X D, FireRed and LeafGreen, am I correct?

I guess we (quoting a line from the theme song from the anime Pokémon Advanced)

Gonna start all over again

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean, I've got a living 'dex in my Pokebank, but there are certain Pokemon I like to keep with me in my physical copy of the games, in the latest version of the games. If I can't transfer them those Pokemon into the same game, I don't really see a point in transferring any of them.

Not exactly.... They couldn't transfer Pokemon from the older Gameboy games at the time because of hardware and coding limitations. But all of the Pokemon (for the time) were still coded in Ruby/Sapphire, allowing them to be transferred in from games released later in that Generation. That's also why they came up with apps like Pokemon Bank/Home. They didn't want transferring Pokemon to the next Generation to be an issue ever again. But despite transferring Pokemon no longer being an issue, they've decided not to code all of the Pokemon into Sword/Shield. So, there are some Pokemon that cannot be sent to Sw/Sh at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MetalRyde

Ah. I'm clear now.

In that list of previous Pokémon available at Serebii, some of my favorite Pokémon are there that are not ghost type.

I like to get all the ghost Pokémon but I understand if legendary ghost Pokémon aren't available.

Why is it that Impidimp looks like a reject from the DBZ series?

• Like Like x 1
  15. grimlock1972

News Credits:

Remember that list is far from complete even if gamefreak does not back down on no national dex, That said on that list i spied two pokemon i would not have chosen to add to Sword and shield unless all pokemon were going in.

What are they? Inkay and Malamar. I have never heard of any great affection for them, the odd one off evolution method is strange and off putting and can the Switch even detect if it is upside down to allow Inkay's current form of Evolution to happen? I am not into competitive battling so i have no clue if either Inkay or it's evolution is at all used there let alone popular.

I do not dislike Inkay and Malamar, I just prefer to use other pokemon, I still have my original ones from Gen 6 in US. if i had to choose among my pokemon to leave behind in gen seven and which to take they would not make the cut to go as they are far down the list in terms of preference to use. That said they always felt out of place in Kalos and would have been a better fit a gen later in Alola and feel no more suitable for a region based on the UK than they did for one based on France.

16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll make a defense for Inkay affection by saying I have some because I really liked James' Inkay from the anime's XY seasons, and not being able to port one to Sw/Sh would at least be a shame for those reasons. You never know which oddball Pokemon have their fans.

17. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Fair enough it has been ages since i watched the Anime so i had no clue James had an Inkay.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You do bring up some very strong points in favor up the limited 'dex that I haven't considered.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MetalRyde

I was Serebii and I noticed the top banner has Mewtwo In a suit of armor. Where does this come from?

20. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

The Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution movie, its a 3d remake of the original film.

• Like Like x 4