Pocket Toys Sonic Wizard KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is the quality on this?

2. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    I dunno; lemme ask John Titor...

7575AC91-90FA-4956-A8AC-7B8C3C99F0AC.png

• Like Like x 4
  3. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I just got mine yesterday, so I haven't messed with it a ton, but here's some first impressions:

Good:

-The plastic quality is excellent. Nothing feels fragile or cheap in the slightest.

-The joints are rock solid and all the joints have decent to great range.

-Both modes look great.

-Colors of plastic and paint are great. The sides and back of the tapedeck are a little messy, but he does indeed become a box and it fits together solidly with no issues.

-Comes with three cassettes (Ravage, Laserbeak, and Ratbat). I didn't realize that when ordering. I was only expecting the Ravage based on most of the promo photos I saw (and honestly, Ravage is what I bought it for).

-Speaking of which, Ravage is fantastic! He needs paint on his eyes, but otherwise he's perfect. Laserbeak's not bad either. Ratbat . . . well, we'll get to Rabat . . .

-He's tiny and I love it! He'd make a good keychain in alt mode. Something about that just tickles me in the way I adore the NewAge Bumblebee or the Iron Factory fembots.

Bad: (Disclaimer: some of these are purely subjective!)

-Paint apps are typical Pocket Toys level - i.e. some are great, some are iffy at best. On my copy, the silver on his shins (forming the front speakers on the alt mode) are a nice silver, but the app stops before the edges of the sculpted detail. The yellow on the tape door is only on the front, leaving clear on all the edges (though the tiny arrow is painted very nicely, to be fair). A few spots of red on the guns are sloppy.

-A few bits of flash here and there, but easily cleaned up.

-Nowhere to store the barrel of the handgun, as far as I can tell. An issue with the original design.

-Can't store all three tapes in his chest at once (Ravage by himself or the two fliers). Not that I'd expect it (it's not physically possible), I'd just have liked something to do with the spares, like a case or something maybe. Another original design "flaw...ish...not really."

-The visor looks comically large to me. I think this is the actual sculpt and not just excess paint. It's not ugly, just not how I imagine Soundwave's face exactly.

-Could have used more silver in place of the plain gray. (Yes, I did say the colors were great. They are, for a toon look. Personally, I prefer more interesting/"realistic" colors to the flat colors the cartoon was restricted to. But that's purely my opinion. If you like the toon colors, this is perfect.)

-Though I love his tiny size, I don't feel he will scale with anything. To me, Soundwave is one of the bigger Cons, standing with Megatron, Starscream, and Shockwave. This mold seems like it might be Soundwave's kid brother (Um... Timmy? Timmywave. Part of the storied Wave family... And that is how fanfiction is born...)

-Ratbat is . . . just . . . what? I read someone in the DX9 original's thread say that they loved the clever way that the Laserbeak and Ratbat are literally the same mold, but with different transformations and paint apps they achieved very different looks. I was excited to see this for myself. I'm not saying the other person is wrong (if they like it, great!) but I was extremely disappointed. He's a magenta Laserbeak and you bend his neck backwards. That's it. It looks like a dead bird with a broken neck, not remotely like a bat. He'll be staying in the chest forever, methinks.

Bonus: Comparison with Hot Soldiers Soundwave:

To me, the HS option is superior (no pun intended, I swear). I like the colors more, I like the face sculpt, I like the transformation, and I like the size. Yes, the DX9/Pocket Toys has elbows that can swivel and ankle tilts. That is nice, but I also feel it's overrated. It doesn't make him that much more dynamic. His left hand is sculpted to look like he can push his own eject button. He can't, not in a natural-looking way. Meanwhile, the HS has a cleaner alt mode, a more imposing bot mode, and scales better with everything else in my collection. As I said, I actually bought this for the Ravage, because that does blow the HS version out of the water (can robot cats swim?).

It may sound like I'm being very negative, but I'm actually very pleasantly surprised and happy with this. He won't go in my display (except Ravage and maybe Laserbeak for variety) but he'll probably be a permanent desk toy that will be loads of fun to mess with. I'd also be open to buying any and all repaints. Soundwave is not a favorite character of mine, but somehow I find myself unable to resist the allure of things that turn into boxes that contain other things that turn into more boxes. (Should I seek help? Is this a sign of of a larger issue?)

If you're interested in this and willing to tolerate the usual Pocket Toys paint issues, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this. Paint aside, the quality is excellent for the price.

... Wow, this was a much longer post than I intended. Apologies!

• Like Like x 8
  4. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    Woah! Hey there, future guy, thanks for your review! Where did you pick this set up? I’m gunna guess it wasn’t online. Alas, there’s nowhere nearby, that I know of, hawking 3P.

Anyway, Ravage is the highlight of the DX9 set for moi, aussi, but they’re all pretty great. And, just to be sure, is there no paint on the thrusters on Ravage’s hind legs? Those are silver on the official, though they’re also probably easier to paint than Ravage’s eyes. And, maybe I’m over thinking it and it only takes a bit of tape-masking to get the job done, but it still seems like a pretty precise task to paint Ravage’s eyes red.

As for the other tapes, maybe there’s reduced paint apps on ‘Beak and ‘Bat, too, and that’s contributing to Ratty looking, well, ratty! Otherwise, I gotta agree that it’s a pretty neat trick from the original designer.

Going off the previous page’s previews, I also thought that Pocket Toys resculpted the head a bit, making it taller overall while also shortening his nose. So, that nose job makes Soundwave’s visor look even more Cylon-like... perhaps. And, I also really don’t like the white feet, since I also lean more towards a toy look.

Now, I understand wanting Soundwave to be a heavy hitter kinda like his TF Evergreen/Cyberverse design-mate Grimlock—with their shoulder missiles and imposing bulk and posture. Sonic Wizard could probably be a little bigger for the desk tableau. But, I’m already locked in for MFT’s OSKO since a certain somebody’s designs should be injection molded—maybe as we speak, even. So, there is that.

Still, I really like the Wiz’. DX9 doesn’t always hit this high, but they really captured that mini-MP look and engineering that Magic Square Toys has been aiming at.... Well, minus the ab-crunch and consequential gratuitous crutch thrusts of MST!

Despite that, my only “complaint” is that he can’t really ride MMC’s Jaguar, and that the fists could be better. The right fist seems kinda small, and he’s perpetually armed as a southpaw to avoid exposing his Left trigger finger.

However, the trigger finger is more useful for petting tape bots. Now, is it Dr. Sound Little? Dr. Do Wave? Dr. DooDoo Room? Or maybe Dr. Pygmy Twylight?

And, as for an actual diminutive name for Sonic Wizard, I think SoundWobble or maybe Hush(ed)Wave sound fine. Or, maybe, SoundHum? SoundWhisper?

Oh, and I guess two more “complaints” for DX9—
    • Where’s the Tape Bots kit with a couple dozen tape bots and their recolors?
    • Where’s the Combiner Soundwave kit with Glit and Ravage for boots, Overbite and Slugfest for cannon & lance gauntlets, Laserbeak and Buzzsaw for pauldrons, Rumble and Frenzy for a jetpack, Ratbat as the breast plate and Garboil and Howlback for the helmet?

• Like Like x 2
  5. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Just because you can't find it, doesnt mean it's not out. Had mine in the UK for 2 weeks now

• Like Like x 1
  6. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

*spooky voice* I come to you with a warning . . . The milk in the fridge has gone bad . . . . Don't drink it . . .

. . . Oh, and watch out for that unicycle . . . You know the one I mean . . .

. . . And trust me, that hat with those shoes? Terrible idea . . .

HZJ on eBay has had it in stock for at least a month ($16USD, I believe). I live in the States, so it took 3 weeks to reach me, thanks to "Speedpak."

The rockets are painted, actually! A really nice silver.

As for the eyes, there's a sculpted edge along the sides of his head where a dot of red paint should fit nicely. I have a steady hand and will do this myself, just felt it worth commenting that it'd be nice if they'd done it.

The winner of the Name That Tiny Sounwave Contest wins . . . well, I know because I'm from the future, but I won't spoil the surprise.

I'd be down for this!

Anyway, I know I probably came off as overly negative. Again, I really dig this guy as a standalone figure. (Oh, another one for the "Good" column: His waist swivel is nice and allows for a cool "trick" to change the shape of his pelvis details by just spinning it around.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    You might like this one more. There's also Frenzy & Rumble.

• Like Like x 4
  8. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Wait, you got to assemble / paint it, ewwwwwwwwyuuuuu!!! LOL,

thanks, now i finally see where that Frenzy and Rumble came from, as i had not seen any listings for them before.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Its $16. Not exactly breaking the bank to check out. I've liked everything PT has put out, so far.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    I was wondering if you might’ve bought from TaoBao or eBay, and lo. I placed my first order with HZJ last week for MFT’s Sludge and I’d be happy as long as it arrives sometime in November and not early December. And, it’ll probably be my last order from HZJ since I’ll probably move sometime early next year. So, I can’t be dicking around with two month delivery windows for too much longer.

Moreso, I’m glad PT actually painted Ravage a touch! Still sux that they couldn’t paint his eyes, though it’s something. But, it seems you can handle it, so it’s no big deal.

And, I dunno if fan-moding the waist limits any poseability on the PT Wiz’, but DX9’s Soundwave only has hinging on the smaller front skirt. Granted, that only really matters if you’re as insufferable much of a pet papa as I can be and so would shoot photos like this~

83E94B9C-A635-4031-B125-F9F10E8DA685.jpeg BF11B518-5088-4965-97A0-5BC01C79C8E7.jpeg DEE2D29F-05E7-426A-B946-7CEA46AF9D3E.jpeg 5052C861-75FE-4F8A-A5AB-F2C851B8CEF8.jpeg

Or

A835A714-071C-419C-80E8-2473E29C7793.jpeg DFA13CA9-E57A-461D-879B-DE731A356FFE.jpeg 97BD7CCD-2ED5-4AF7-8B6E-77EE1B2F1977.jpeg BAA028EC-753A-4B50-8042-142FC7BBE249.jpeg B6275A00-FE02-4768-AB7B-8B768E1EF74B.jpeg

Excluding that, the missing hip skirt articulation won’t hamper the average A-Stance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I'm not ordering from ChinaBay again until next year. My WJ Weirdwolf from HZJ just cleared customs Wednesday, after being mailed on the 11th.

I can only begin to imagine X-Mas rush traffic via Speedpak.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one he's fine - I like him enough that if they repainted him I'd buy that too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

See, this is what my review started out as. Clearly, something went horribly wrong :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrimLocke

News Credits:
    I would consider ordering from ShowZ, again, since they’re a little bit quicker. Though, I am kinda surprised they aren’t listing this guy but they are listing the PrUticus boxset for preorder.

Oh, and I should’ve noted that I bought Sonic Wizard from ShowZ earlier in the spring, when they seemed to be the last shop with stock.

In the meantime, MFT’s Grimsy is sitting in LA, so I messaged ShowZ for the FedEx#, just in case. Now, I have seen CNE and 17Track go all the way to the mailbox. But, I think those both might’ve been USPS, or at least I know my last order, MFT’s G1 Sixshot, came by USPS.

Still, it might just sit there out of this new found spite from coast to coast for the China post. So, I’m glad that it seems that the main TFW sponsors are starting to distribute MFT, Black Mamba, Wei Jiang and other oversized knockoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Well, as much as I love Show.z, I cant spend $28 on something I can buy on Ebay for $12-18.

I buy my 3P MP from Show.z, my KO's from Ali, and my Legends from Ebay.

MFT always seems to be amazing at having supply so, I can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You caught me on a good day I often go on a bit more than that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Anyone know where I can get a Decepticon logo sticker that would scale for his chest?

18. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    I use the vector mini rubs on my legends.

The big sheet has the same sizes, though.

Agabyss > Hasbro > Hasbro Dry Rub Logo Decals

19. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Cool little figure but my figure’s head keeps rolling off when I position it. I’m pretty sure it’s because the bottom of his head is heavily curved for transformation. Anyone else have the same issue?