please keep furman-

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by HasTok_WFCTX_106492, Jun 1, 2014.

1. HasTok_WFCTX_106492

HasTok_WFCTX_106492 Well-Known Member

Away from doing anymore transformers stories.After the pathetic rg1 I lost respect for this guy who gave us good stories in the past.All I saw throught-out the rg1 run was his character favorites like grimlock,rodimus,ultra magnus,starscream and shockwave and kup being the ridiculous bad-asses,everybody else was killed or just in the background.I hate what he did to galvatron,it should have been an even fight with magnus going down too.And the two traitors star and shock live happily ever after,i wanted to see these two get it for good.Didn`t the autobots even care to get the ark back? so in short I`m never buying any new tf comic with this guy as writer.

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I was a fan of his past work and I like to remember him how he was Target 2006 is still some top notch Transformers fun and fiction. Though seriously does anyone know why he got taken off the main IDW books? I wasn't a fan of the Ation stuff but it was pretty huge that he was taken off the one universe he started. Was there ever a press release or anything like that?

3. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i want to disagree with unicron, but i just can't seem to bring myself to do that

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

I really like his ation stuff and some of his spotlights but I have to agree that regeneration1 was pretty poor. It was the first comic I have ever dropped, I even stuck with ongoing, heart of darkness and furman's equally bad IDW beast wars stuff. I would give something new of his a go on the chance he managed to get his mojo back

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Nope, no press release or anything.

I can hardly understand why people think that's shocking. People change jobs/assignments all the time. Is Batman/Superman/Spiderman's original issue 1 writer still on board? Was there a press release when they left the book?

I believe that the reason was sales were falling and IDW wanted to resort to a soft reset to try and draw more people in; let's be serious, towards the end of Furman's run you couldn't jump in; the story was dragged along four separate series, and then you had to venture sideways and read the spotlights which were meant to be self contained stories.

Regeneration 1 was a poor effort indeed; it reads MUCH better if you've read marvel G1, but it was typical Furman through and through; things dragging on for issues that lead to a big fight, big huge fight is resolved fairly quickly, "memorable" characters die for shock value, main villain is killed off in the sidelines [not to mention introduced just an issue ago] and there's little time for wrapping up.

Furman can and has written some good things and some very good things, but it's been over 20 years now and he's still recycling his old ideas bringing very little fresh perspective on the table, and has not changed the way he's writting at all.

6. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    When he's given the opportunity to write something new, he's still capable of moments of brilliance, the 'ations laid the groundwork for one of the best continuities Transformers have ever known, the problems are that he ended up being heavily overexposed during his early IDW run and that that Regeneration one was an exercise in nostalgia that very few people asked for. It's hard to do something fresh and exciting when you're hired purely to retread old ground and rehash versions of characters whose story arcs saw a natural enough conclusion 25 years ago.

Losing respect for him based on RG1 is like losing respect for a singer for doing a run on nostalgia tours and not performing any new material when you know they're just doing what they think that people want to hear for the money. I love Furman's work, but I had zero interest in RG1 as it was completely unnecessary, I would rather they have given him a main continuity miniseries fleshing out some of the new takes on characters he created during the 'ations, or heck, not brought him back at all and gone with Brad Mick instead to finish off their storyline as Dreamwave needed following up a lot more than Marvel ever did.

7. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no, we are not complaining that he is writing like it's 1980, we are complaining that this is worse than any marvel tf issue ever. maybe 20 issues was too much for him

8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    I didn't think RG1 was terrible, but it was underwhelming. I think 20+ years of waiting and a nice big dose of nostalgia certainly built expectations high.

I'd be happy to see him do more Transformers stuff. Just as long has he doesn't take over RID or MTME. Spotlights maybe?

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yep, that's exactly what happened.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about Furman. His Marvel/Dreamwave stuff was pretty solid, but definitely not without some issues.

His IDW run is a mixed bag. His first Beast Wars book was alright, but the second one was just awful. Starting off the -Ations run, he introduced some VERY interesting ideas in Infiltration/Escalation... but then, by the end of Devastation, it just kind of devolved into Generic Cosmic Threat #368. The crappy Reapers' introduction was definitely the turning point for me. And I would've liked to have seen how the whole Infiltration protocol thing played out, rather than Furman just having Megatron becoming a bitch, and saying "Fuck it, bring in Sixshot!"

Some of his Spotlights are brilliant. Shockwave, for example, is one of my favorite pieces of TF fiction ever. Maximum Dinobots was pretty good as well.

With RG1, it just began to feel like Furman was past his prime. It felt incredibly shallow, with "final boss"-type characters constantly being brought in only to then be killed off meaninglessly. It was overall just dull, and completely devoid of character.

I don't think I'd be 100% opposed to Furman coming back to do more. BUT, someone (Barber) HAS to be there to stop him from doing anything stupid, like multiversal singularities, Arcee's origin, RG1, etc.

10. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

This in a nutshell is what I think. ^

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His stint on Beast Wars comics was, in my eyes, the very bottom of the barrel for him, and those were all new characters and a new setting.
    For that matter, reading his work has actually tarnished the shine on "Nemesis parts 1 and 2", because in classic Furman fashion, he goes about killing everyone that he possibly can. It was shocking when it first aired, but after reading his stuff, it became apparent that clear-cutting the cast was routine for him.

I did, however, enjoy his work for Dreamwave and his early IDW 'ation books and some of his Marvel stuff. It's not all bad, but definitely mixed.

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Honestly, I DON'T think Furman should be doing any more massive crossover, Time Wars styled storytelling.

But I would NOT be opposed to him doing some minis or even one-shots like the Ironhide coda.
    Most of the Spotlights were pretty good imo, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more of it.

13. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I don't like any of his IDW stuff. Absolutely no fun allowed and all the "epic" battles fall flat because I have no reason to care. Haven't read the Marvel comics yet.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I have a really hard time disagreeing with the first post.

His -ations were decent, mostly for the concepts he created, but I hated anything and everything BW he touched. He could not have missed the point of BW more if he was aiming the opposite direction. Generally I just find his writing outdated. It feels very first-step. RG1 has been an avalanche, though.

But Furman has really been discussed to death at this point.

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Furman is best when he is working within restraints and pressure. Left to his own devices, he's a poor judge of pacing. Too much build-up and world-setting, and not enough pay-off. Yes, even 20 issues was too long for him. It was very slow to get going then we get to the last few issues and there's no space to wrap everything up satisfactorily.

And worse was his attitude. He believed his RG1 stories were amazing and anybody who dared to even have a slight nitpick about anything were completely wrong.

Let Furman do a run of self-contained Spotlights. Stories that have to be told and end within a single issue.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I agree Furman's past his prime, his writing feels more like borderline parody these days like Frank Miller.

17. Armorwolf129

Armorwolf129 Well-Known Member

I hadn't read any furman before the first IDW stories, and I was pretty disappointed with how they were written. The only reason I even kept going was because of all the hype for MTMTE I had heard, and I felt the stories not written by him were a large improvement.

18. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Hmm, I guess I am in the minority here as I always enjoy Furman's work. Some of it is stronger than others of course, but I enjoyed the "ation" stories, and I had fun with the Regeneration storylines as well. I take the Regeneration stories for what they are - sequels that were many years in the making. Not necessarily inspired, but they tied up some threads that had been left dangling for awhile. I always wondered about what happened to Ratchet/Megs, Spike, Buster, and others. It was nice to see some nods to the 80's/90's storylines and get some closure.

I've read most of his work in the 80's and 90's and thought a lot of it was outstanding, I loved his characterizations, how he developed the characters as true personalities rather than robotic automatons. His work in the 80's and 90's was great as well. I never read his BW stuff, so I can't speak to that.

The criticism that Furman sticks to his same formula and the same characters all the time is probably fair, but I also think that tends to happen with almost any comic writer who stays on a single title for a long time. Chris Claremont's X-Men work in the 80's was incredible, but his X-Men work in the 2000's was not nearly as strong. There are rare exceptions where writers can keep a title fresh for many years, like Bendis with Ultimate Spidey, but in general I think it is good to have new writers every few years so that a writer gets to do a run of a few story-arcs before handing off to someone else.

I am loving the recent work we have gotten from creators like Roberts, Roche, McCarthy, Costa and others. I would still enjoy stories by Furman as well, though as some have pointed out, maybe in more focused or limited stories rather than an unlimited run.

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

With respect to Furman, his RG1 was always doomed to disappoint. That's just the nature of these re-visitations of twenty year old stories finally "finished." After twenty years of fan build up and twenty years of changes in the author's mind and writing ability, the product really isn't what he ever meant to write back then. Add RG1 to the list of X-Men Forever, X-Factor Forever, and G.I.Joe A Real American hero to poorly received reunion albums.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Furman has had ups and downs like any writer, but he's still the quintessential TF comics writer for me, and I welcome him back any time he feels like returning. I did not hate RG1 anything like some of the people in this thread. It makes me wonder what you expected from it in the first place.

I agree I'd rather see him do something other than take over RID or MTMtE, though. I'd enjoy seeing him build a new world from scratch again, with no ties to the other books and no multiverse stuff.

That has consistently been pretty excellent, actually. I still consider it to be an offshoot continuity to the original, due to the time jump and subsequent necessary retconning of the timeline. But it's still been a great and very fun read.