Playstation Vita

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Haloid1177, Jan 23, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Excuse my ignorance as it comes to all this different wi-fi shiz... but what's the difference between 3G and just plain old wi-fi?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your wallet.

Just kidding. It's 50 bucks more, sports GPS, which is pretty useless in this day an age. But it does implement some cool features into some games. I know in Japan there is some RPG that you play around the city, and it's supposed to use the augmented reality to make monsters spawn in front o buildings. Crazy shit like that. But I've never seen it in action, so it might suck. Since they have mentioned incorporating gaming into the GPS element, I figured 50 bucks wasn't a huge deal to just get it. Besides, the $299 bundle comes with an 8gig memory stick, Super Stardust Delta and a month of free 3G (Non contract). So for 50 bucks, I get two things that I was probably going to buy anyway, and 3G in case I want to find a Wing Stop on my Vita (instead of my phone, which I will most-likely use)

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    3G is what cell phones use and WiFi is what laptops use to 'jump on' a wired network wirelessly.

So, if you were at Starbucks and you connected to their free WiFi with your Vita you lose that connection when you leave Starbucks.

If you take the 3G option you get wireless pretty much anywhere you go.

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    The thing with the 3G version is, if you have a smartphone (like me) web browsing is pretty much useless for it, top that with limted storage, and not being able to play multiplayer with said 3G network, the extra $50 is not worth it.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So basically, 3G means you can have wireless internet, any where, any time. And not have to have an actual wireless hotspot? I figured it was something in that ballpark.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes -like a data plan for a cell phone.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except that you CAN play certain games over 3G. But I'm still not getting it for that. I'm getting it for some of the potential integration certain games might have that I've read about, and because I would have spend about 30 bucks on a memory stick and Stardust anyway, so I may as well get that one.

8. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Still though, it seems pretty stupid to limit it.

Have it all, or not at all.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're referring to limiting the data plan, yeah that's pretty stupid. I hate tiered anything. But I'd still rather have it, given that it's a sweeter deal than a naked Wi-fi one for 20 bucks less (in my personal situation).

As far as limiting what games can play on 3G or can't. My iPad is the same way. It's up to the developers.

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been pretty lax on using this device this week, but tonight will be a play-a-thon. Uncharted, and I might buy UMvC3. Might. I love this thing so much, even if I have only used it for two hours. So much nicer than the Go.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    lol, Go

WiFi small-timer here, can't wait to pick mine up on Wednesday.

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went to Walmart to buy one last night, but they didn't even have it (had games though). Is this only sold through specific retailers, or is my Walmart just being a hott-ghetto-mess as usual?

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's out yet, TJ. The early bundle was Gamestop only, I think. It comes out Wednesday.

If you guys have digital PSP games, you can download them to your PS3 and copy them over that way, even if they aren't listed on the Vita store.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey, thanks a lot Prowl, and I really liked your review on it as well.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks, man.

I'd say my only potential setback would be how much I use my tablet for gaming. But my honest opinion on it is this. Some day (maybe soon) tablets might become very ideal for gaming, on top of everything else they do. But right now, I simply do not get that level of gaming on them. Most games are short, crash a lot, or simply don't have the depth I can get from a console/PC/3DS/PSP game. So for now, this is as good as it gets for that Console experience on the go. I love my 3DS for the same reason. Nothing on my tablet comes close to SMB3D.

I want to know what you think of Uncharted. I played the demo, but I want to know how the rest of the game holds up.

16. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    DAYUM!
    I'll be getting this baby no shorter than... July, my birthday...
    :poke rface:

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Just put my money down on the 3G version (I am hoping the thing can be used for GPS directions someday, and the 8GB memory card in the bundle made me feel alright about it). But after looking at the receipt, my other systems, and thinking about it a little more, I kinda regret it. :( 

Anyway, Target is going to have a buy 2 get 1 sale on Vita games next week, given the decent launch lineup, what should I get? I'm thinking Uncharted, but touch controls and the $50 price are a turn off. Luminus was awesome on the PSP when it came out. Already have Rayman Origins on the PS3 (Seriously if you dont have this game, get it). Maybe Katamari?

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ^Get Katamari. That shit is crazy.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They were also available at Best Buy, but you had to have preordered it first. Luckily my Game Stop had someone cancel, and I got theirs.

I'll be pulling a late night for some Uncharted. I'll be sure to post thoughts here.

And TJ, good to hear you're getting one. I do not think you'll be disappointed.

20. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Personally I'm waiting for word on unit 13, looks interesting. (I love class based games)