Playstation 5 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Caminus Prime, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    And this is why I'm not a PlayStation guy. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the modern systems but if not for my kids, I'd stick with the PC.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Is both slim models the digital model? but one has the add-on already attached to it?

Looks like they're following Apple with the "requires internet to verify OEM part" when someone tries to fix their phones.

In this case, it's coming from Sony...why not pair it before hand? Guess its easier to produce only one product line and let the consumer do the extra work.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Sorry but disc media is going to be gone next gen. Sony is requiring internet to use discs, leaked Xbox docs show that they are dropping disc drives on console refresh for Series ( it will boost the incentive to get Gamepass ) and most retailers are stopping sales for either physical movies ( Best Buy & Target ) or Physical games ( Walmart ). You can equally blame console makers and retail stores for this one.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Who buys games at Walmart?

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Clearly no one if they are stopping sales of physical media.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I do. A lot of times new releases are $10 cheaper at Walmart than everyone else. Not to mention I recently got RE8 from them for $20.

The day they stop doing physical games is the day I stop buying video games. I'll pirate before I hand money over to something I can't physically own. Digital is nothing but a bullshit scam that only idiots support.

8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Just like you wouldn't get a PS5 till you could walk into a store and buy one yourself? Right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Its not that bad, I love physical media and yes I get all my Nintendo games from Walmart.

But I also love my Steam account where all my games are just there forever waiting for me to work on any PC I want.

IMO discs are a shit medium and need to end, but making copies costs next to nothing, so cant blame companies for sticking with them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Well looks like you will be pirating in the next 5 - 10 years.

If Sony’s sticks to this need internet to use disc drive well your physical media is no different than downloaded (both are digital). As both will need internet to scan the key that unlocks the media stored on your data drive.

And again retail stores are ending their support for physical media now. Not in the near future but now. My local Target has already adapted. Console makers won’t put a disc drive in the next console if no place sells discs.

For retailers it opens more space for something that sells better and for console manufacturers it’s a part that they don’t have to worry about thus bring down manufacturing costs and can possibly boost subscriptions to services like Gamepass and PS Plus Premium. Physical media only benefits the consumer that want it.

You also have to look at thing like the new targeted demographic is Gen Z and Gen Alpha. Late Gen Z and Gen Alpha are iPad babies. They grew up with downloaded media. They are used to download codes. So it won’t hurt sales for these future consoles if they go download only.

I’m not fighting for downloaded media. I’m just stating facts about where things are going. I’m sure Nintendo will try to keep physical alive. Sony and Microsoft won’t and clearly don’t care now with their choices.

11. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Looks like you’re sailing the seven seas, then. Bye.

12. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That was the plan, but then one of our friends bought us one.

I'm a console only gamer.

First, you don't have any proof of this. Secondly, why would I bother with new digital only games when I have a huge backlog of old games to play? I've still got PS2 games that are waiting to be played, so I've got plenty of games to keep me busy for years.

Good thing Target, Walmart, and Best Buy aren't the only game stores around. There's Gamestop, Level 7 Games, Buy Back Games, oh, and Amazon.

Cool, and those idiots can enjoy spending their money on something they can't actually own.

13. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You should really stop with the insults.
    Not everyone cares about physical media and appreciates the simplicity of digital. You can have your opinions, but insulting others for their preferences is unnecessary.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

All that says to me is you say something.. till it's inconvenient for your to follow through... then you'll bend over.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I own all the digital games I've bought in the last decade (at least as much as any physical media, which you only own a license to), I still have access to every single game I've bought on Steam that's been delisted. Every one of those games will still be playable on new hardware long after the current console generation ends. Physical media can get scratched or otherwise damaged and still typically requires internet access to trigger a download or installation of the digital files to a console. Physical media is the exact same as digital, except with a few extra hurdles and potential problems and companies can still block access to physical games through targeted console updates.

• Like Like x 4
  16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I love being disc-free, swapping discs is a giant pain, not to mention they are nothing but keys these days anyway. I'll never buy a console with a drive again, if given the drive-free option. I can buy a 1TB M2 drive for the same cost as one game, and it will hold dozens of them. Insisting on physical-only is some real dinosaur shit. If my digital game gets corrupted, I can just redownload it. If my physical disc gets scratched, I'm screwed.

Owning a game disc doesn't guarantee you squat, and doesn't even mean you actually "own" anything. They can block access to that disc just as easy as any digital game, if they choose to.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    There is no wrong way for someone to enjoy their media.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    <3

Play however you want. Lots of options out there for everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That makes no sense. I don't control a gift our friend gets my wife and I.

However, that has nothing to do with not supporting digital versions. You can't have a gaming collection if you don't actually have anything to show for your investment. A computer screen with titles doesn't count as owning jackshit. However, yo do you, and I do me.

For now, sure. But they can pull it out of your collection at any given moment. It happened to those who had the PT demo. Jeff Bezos even made that statement a year or two ago.

20. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Hot dayum the Pulse Explore is unavailable on Sony and Amazon. Still on GameStop and Best Buy. I wonder how good it actually is and hopefully it won't be sold out once the reviews are out if it turns out great.