Play With This Too - 2nd Kickstarter has begun

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Sgtcrunch, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a miracle happen so these guys get funded still.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    sure, hasbro doesn't own the concept of robots that change, but I completely disagree with everything else you've said. I'm sure that they've learned a lot from their time at Hasbro, and have learned what Hasbro even looked at in regards to IP infringing robots that change shape. I bet you that since these don't involve robots transforming, Hasbro could care less that these even exist, as it's in no way competing with Transformers other than just being a toy.

Like I said earlier though, these are almost exactly what I want in regards to Pretenders. Hell, if Hasbro came out with a Star Wars or Marvel Legends style 6" figure based on Pretenders for about $20, I'd be all in for those too.

Me too.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We're just going to have to disagree then. There's NO reason they can't think up an original, non-infringing IP for robots that change, and nothing anyone says will change my mind on that. The proof is on toy shelves everywhere.

I will say the kickstarter was a good idea, because they would be in a world of financial ruin right now if they had put their own money into these.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    We know, we get it, ad nauseam with you man.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There's a lot of that in this thread, just keeping up man.

But really, I've said that what, twice now? I'd hardly call that excessive. God forbid I say the same thing more than once and expound on an idea in a discussion.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    sorry, let me clarify. I'm not saying they CAN'T design transforming robots, I'm saying that (it appears) they don't want to, which is different. I really prefer the static pretender styled guys, and the little weapons being robots, even if they don't transform, I still dig them.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally hope the old Tech Drones from the first KS end up as BMOGs, because they are still fun 5mm robot men.

1. I think it's still permissible to talk about the toys in their own thread. Other people have the doom and gloom posts covered, they won't be in short supply.

2. Whether the Boneyard/Jetstrike Kickstarter goes though, Trent and Nonnef are still making BMOGs. So chances are I'll still be owning the Dinotrouble Team eventually.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Unless a miracle happens, doesn't look like this is getting funded. I'm honestly sad for Rik and company. I was never the biggest supporter / enthusiast, but I backed them this time around because I wanted this to succeed. I felt they had potential for some long term interesting ideas. Not sure we're going to see that now though.

10. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Nah. Waste of time.

11. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    The failure of these guys is not because of "the fandom." They didn't provide something that enough people wanted.

12. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Red leader blamed the fandom for posting here with comments that, as he put it "kick em whilst they are down". So don't state anyone here said the fandom was fault for the KS results.

I mean look what happens when I comment on the fiction, I get comments about how that doesn't matter... as if any opinion here mattered any more?

13. Nos

Nos Member

That's right! I mean, it's so obviously the fandoms fault for not recognizing the pure genius poured into these perfectly sculpted, brilliantly imagined figures. Just because it's failing on a funding level doesn't mean anything more than our lack of vision on what a good toy is. Who are we, the consumer, to "kick em whilst they are down"?

14. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you don't even read...? We just said no one blamed the fandom for the KS results.

15. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    DON'T SAY THAT.

Or the forum police will come and take away your action figures, late at night. ;) 

16. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I apologize for refuting something that Red leader didn't say. I don't apologize for taking that meaning from his posts. Please don't tell me what I can say here ever again. That's up to the mods, not any of us.

17. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I am legitimately trying to be constructively critical. I am really trying to get across what I believe the real problem is which I tried to do during the first Kickstarter but it got drowned out by other complaints. Hopefully it helps the people from PWTT with whatever they do in the future.

If you want a chance at success in anything you need to present yourself in the best possible light. Be it a job interview or a toy Kickstarter campaign. I don't think PWTT really accomplished that and their second campaign has even less polish than the first.

For a toy Kickstarter that means high quality graphic design (logo, page layout, graphics, etc), good copy writing (by a professional), quality studio photos of the product (three point lighting, professional backdrop, etc), and quality resin prototypes molded and painted by a professional.

When I say professional I mean someone who does whatever it is they're doing for you as their main source of income. Someone who has years of experience doing what it is you're hiring them to do. Not hobbyist, not "a friend who has photoshop". Someone who knows what they're doing and has a portfolio of work that supports that.

18. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Honestly I don't think the presentation was to blame (for the most part), it was just something 99% of us didn't want.

Look at how some 3rd parties promote their product (or don't). If the product is good, it will sell regardless of lackluster presentation. They get preorders up the wazoo off of nothing but gray protos sometimes.

Could they have a done a better job presenting it? Absolutely.

19. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

Agreed. I love the design of the Tech Drones and if they can be tweaked further and made into partsformers... I'd be all over that.

I'd also be all over them having simple/basic waist-folding transformation like the old Targetmasters.

20. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

That's not a Kickstarter. You can't really compare a Kickstarter campaign to distributor sold products. With most third parties they're selling their products to distributors so we don't see what they do to sell their products because in almost all cases they aren't selling direct to consumer.

It's comparing apples and tesseracts. There's so many differences between the two models it's almost impossible to actually go through them all. What you can do is compare them to other Kickstarters and the thing successful Kickstarters share in common in quality presentation which garners consumer confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.