Plastic Quality Comparison

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by calubin175, Feb 17, 2017.

1. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

If we use Takara MP-10 and MP-13 as a baseline, which companies or specific figures have plastic quality and durability above the baseline?

2. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    The thing is, you're using two good figures as an example, from a line itself that has hits and misses.

What about MP Shockwave? BumbleBee? The weird feeling/hollowness of Tracks?

I'd say some of MMC's figures are extremely soild and could probably survive 20~30 more drops on a tiled floor than many of Takara's MP's can.

And then there are some who probably wouldn't (MMC Jag and it's terrible remolds).

EDIT: as for specific MMC figures ...

MMC Feralcons (minus the wings that CAN be fragile just because THEY ARE wings after all).

MMC Turmoil and Impactor.

MMC Kaon (minus his electric prong thingies on his shoulders).

Etc etc.

And in actuality, if MP-10 was ever dropped, his smokestacks would probably break off pretty easily depending on how he fell. Soundwave seems pretty sturdy all around though.

3. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last I checked none of those had problems with quality or durabilty. Unless there have been threads of I transformed (Shockwave Bunmblebee,Tracks) once and they seriously stressed or came apart in my hand there plastic quality has been pretty good. Now tactile-wise it may feel different but they still have quality standards that must be maintained

• Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I was going to say this is highly subjective subject and it will likely attract a lot of fanboyimosponses saying their favorite company has the best QC, claiming other companies Has/Tak foremost have terrible QC founded only on their personal preference for a figure.
    And lo and behold :lol 

Honesty is pretty fair and accurate though as far as MMC's individual figures are concerned imo.

For the record: my kid and i where running around playing with MP Laserwave a couple months ago, unexpectedly he turns around grasps the thing from me and throws it on
    the tiled floor.
    Its still in great shape though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I'd say UT Springer is pretty solid and you can use him to smash other transformers, lol. MMC Strika and UT Blurr are above the baseline, as well.

6. jackisking

News Credits:
    I guess the worse plastic quality would be badcubes, I guess . I know there was stuff with wardogs and the minibots stressing in places. Sunsurges roof sheared off on a few people. I think it was something with his arms sockets cracking. After I had sold mine the guy who bought emailed about but said he wasnt fussed because it was kind of common. I never heard that on these boards but considering I transformed him all of twice it may be a thing.

7. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    many of MMC Reformatted line (not all). From my collection: Feralcons, Hexatron, all femmebots, Spartan / Commotus. Also, i can pretty much see that Titanika and Tarn are following same trend. NOT Cynicus, he is brittle. In terms of dropping the figures, other than maybe Talon's wings, you will have no fear dropping any of these, and i can only say this about MMC Reformatted Figures above, not the below or any of their own other products, as I have never done it and dont want to risk it.

FT almost all products, maybe with some misses, but look at their figures in general. Maybe careful with their Kickback though, many have had issues, and maybe careful with Willis too. To me, most dibots, quakewave, bombshell and shrapnel, (and in my case Willis), are pretty top notch plastic, and i hear so is their Galvatron.

Master Made Apollo. Fantastic built / plastic wise.

8. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

While he is solid and seemingly super durable, his plastic doesn't feel anything like an MP. It has a...soft quality to it that's hard to explain. To me, it feels like a poorer quality material even if it may not be in actuality.

The only other experience I've really had with 3P is Fanstoys, specifically their dinobots. Those all felt fairly high quality, though they still don't have quite the same feel as official plastics.

9. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Well, I have said that after handling Maketoys GunDog, I would love it if Takara hired them to re-make, or basically KO, the official Takara carbots, and sell them as joint venture premium reissues at a higher price. $100 a pop. I'd bite.

This isn't just a plastic issue, it's just higher standards of production across the board. I work in production and I know a lovingly produced piece when I hold it. I don't have a whole lot of Maketoys product, but Downbeat conforms my view of their abilities and willingness to make carbots at a higher quality level than Takara.

10. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I consider myself a connoisseur of fine plastics so I can say with absolute certainty that Wei Jiang is top notch with their OS figures.

11. jackisking

News Credits:
    Unfortunately that willingness did not extend to paint on Down beat:rolleyes: 

12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    MMC and FT and MT go back n forth between having the best materials with any given release.

Everything else tends to be below their usual standards. Yes. Including most official mps.
    What are you talking about almost every single part of the figure has paint on it and the ones that don't are exclusively used in robot mode or require surface free treatments in order to avoid scratching and tolerance issues.

Just because the lower shins and feet are raw grey plastic does not change the fact the figure has a shiiiit load of paint and gloss treatment.

13. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

So I take it that MMC, FT and MT have their own exclusive market then, at least for the quality obsessed collectors.

As a collector, I like to narrow things down and do not like mixing lines up, especially with the special case of 3Ps as character design differentiation is minimal between MPs, TW, DX9 and FT.

The rating of plastic quality and transformation difficulty is something that is difficult to comparatively assess from video reviews, especially if not every items gets the evaluated on it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  14. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Seems to vary over time as well - I have FT's Tesla and Sovereign and they're lightyears apart on material quality.

15. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    My block of non transforming Diecast has the best quality. I slammed it against the wall so many times, that the wall breaks. Now that's quality.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mighty Menasor

Mighty Menasor Menasor Searching....Crush & Destroy

Considering some of the most well known 3rd parties (FT, MMC, MT, KFC, TFC, Master Made, PE) i'd put Takara mid range in plastic quality and that's being nice. I have to say that FT in particular totally destroys Takara when it comes to overall build quality. But Takara does have excellent engineering and artistic design talent on staff that put most 3rd party to shame in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1