Planet X PX-C04 Cacus (IDW Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jhund, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Unless you'd already paid for it (and maybe even then?) you should be able to cancel it just fine.

2. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The more I look at this guy, the more impressed I get. He really looks like he may usurp Grinder as the best Grimlock out their in my opinion

3. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Money was exchanged. I didn't think it through, and can blame no one but myself.

4. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Are there even clear pictures of the other dinobots? Grimlock could at leas be seen and designed, but idk wtf they’d use for reference on the other guys.

5. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well there was plenty of clean shots of them in Maximum Dinobots along with Grimlock. As well the rest of IDW since they didn't change designs at all.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  6. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Yeah Grim. should be the second tallest Dynobot
    In terms of height it should be…
    1. Sludge
    2. Grimlock
    3. Swoop (it seems)
    4. Slag/Slug
    5. Snarl

• Like Like x 2
  7. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ah sweet. Good to know they had good full on shots of em.

The scale on them looks wack tho I’m assuming it’s based on real Dino scale?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    Yeah. In IDW they were scaled in relation to each other based on their Dino modes, so it went Sludge, Grimlock, Swoop (technically due to him being skinny but tall) and then Slug and Snarl being around the same height.

Also probably helps that there very first time showing up on Earth was with organic alt-modes.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  9. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Yeah it seems that way. 53076108-2E47-4F7F-8ADC-01FC17A74354.jpeg CFE87DC8-6B8B-4ED3-8E6F-E97F9878C43E.jpeg 83461DF4-6F7C-4AA9-B86C-ECAE232B8B9F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    I would bloody LOVE someone to do those modes!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I see an opportunity to rant about dinosaurs, I’m going to take it. Here I go:

There’s another double-page image out there from later on in the IDW series; it’s a big, post battle splash page with basically everybody standing around in a gigantic group shot. The Dinobots are right at the center, with a cluster of characters sitting directly with them. I noticed a couple of things at the time:

Juxtaposing that big image with some prior art, it seems as if the Dinobots scale to a standard-sized cybertronian in the same relative way that the actual dinosaurs would scale to an average human being in the 5-6ft height range. If like… Prowl is 15ft tall, then Grimlock is going to turn into a dino about 50ft tall, and like 100ft long. Let me start with the biggest member of the team, and work my way down:

Sludge is practically the size of a combiner in robot mode— going back to Optimus’s fight with a newborn Menasor many moons prior, I’d say that Sludge would probably be standing eye-to-eye with that particular gestalt. Devastator would obviously be much larger, but then there is some ridiculous mass-shifting going on when the constructicons join up. Anyway, Sludge seems to gain even more mass in his alternate mode. In one famous scene from these comics, he transforms in midair while falling and uses his bulk to crush some massive opponent— I forget who. His size seems to be his primary asset in battle, so it makes sense that it is over-emphasized. He is big, dumb, slow, with not a lot of armor or of ore power beside the flamethrower, so you have to grant him the size factor. It’s actually more ridiculous to consider the notion that he’s smaller than Grimlock when transformed, as it would render his alternate mode more of a liability than any kind of asset. It’s like, congratulations! You’ve turned into a waddling barrel, your neck is a delicate willow branch, and your tiny ass head has a blowtorch inside it. Don’t die!

All that said, the largest sauropods were absolutely ridiculous at their genuine heights, so when you scale them up in relation to cybertronians… well, Sludge is big, but not like, Ultrasaur-big. He’s also the wrong shape for that kind of species. Based on his general anatomy, I’d say that they are loosely basing him on apatosaurus, diplodocus, or most likely, good old brontosaurus; who has gotten to make the most epic come back in recent years. When in doubt, these guys really just turn into the top five favorite dinosaurs from back in the 80s. That still means he could probably stomp an average bot like a ketchup packet.

Snarl and Grimlock would be about the same height in robot mode, with Grimlock being probably a head larger at times, depending on the artist. Real quick aside: It’s unclear, anatomically, what species everybody is across-the-board; despite it seeming obvious to a layperson, these guys could all be any number of species within their genuses. It’s easy to say that Grimlock is a T-Rex, but he could be any tyrannosaur; Slag could be anything at all. Even when they had their skins on earlier in the series, they are not being drawn by anybody with a paleontological background so they are just a mess of random parts from different species.

All that said, what I’m getting at is that in dinosaur mode, Snarl could either be the more popular S-Stenops, but I bet he is supposed to be a larger species like Armatus. In any case, he’d be smaller by a bit, lengthwise, than Grimlock in dinosaur mode.. but way larger than Slag. Snarl should be carrying most of his bulk in his ass, to be frank. Stegosaurus was all ass and tail, so you would look at his front half and think that he is significantly smaller because he would be sporting one of the smallest heads on the entire team.

In robot mode, Slag is definitely larger than an average Cybertronian but smaller than either Grimlock or Snarl by a head at least. We see him in dinosaur mode next to Ironhide at one point, and he is comparably way too small to say right off the bat that he is supposed to be triceratops horridus. It’s theorized that the species might actually be a juvenile of something larger, but Slag is the hardest to actually pin down as far as what the fuck he supposed to be turning into. Anyway, he is seen as being just a little taller than Ironhide as a robot, with his alternate mode head towering above that on his back.

To back up a minute, it should be noted that Grimlock definitely gains mass in his dinosaur mode. I want to mention this, because it is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to his toys. Typically, because his legs are all rolled up and sticking off his ass in dinosaur mode, and he is standing on his hands, he ends up feeling less massive after being transformed. Vulcun and GC Wrath do a good job of at least visibly feeling like they are as large or larger in dinosaur mode, but this is actually going to be the make or break thing for me with Cacus— I want that dinosaur mode bigger than the robot.

Grimlock is probably a tyrannosaurus, just because he is clearly meant to be based on the lore. Sometimes he has six fingers and that makes my eye twitch, but it looks like IDW has more or less corrected that. His dinosaur mode anatomy is almost as messy as Slag’s, but I am too happy about him no longer looking like a fat duck (fuck you, Sunbow) to complain too much. Sure, that’s a T-Rex, whatever. Moving on.

Swoop might be close to Slag in height, excluding crests and kibble. He has about as much bulk in his whole body as Slag has in one leg, though. If you told me Swoop was basically a scrawny normal-sized Cybertronian relative to height, there wouldn’t be enough of a difference for it to be worth arguing.

In Pteranodon mode, it’s easy to look at the page and feel like he is smaller than he is as a robot, but I do take one issue with that: in a lot of his dossiers over the years, special note has been made that for whatever reason, the anatomy of a pterosaur is like the cybertronian-equivalent of a lovecraftian horror. Hardly anybody even wants to engage him in combat, when they could just run away in pee-their-pants terror. I would like to think that his pteranodon mode is at least as big as the alternate mode of a generic seeker, if not a bit larger in the wingspan, just to drive the whole impression of a looming nightmare home. If he didn’t have the signature head crest, you could go ahead and declare Swoop a Quetzalcoatlus, and that would rule. He’d be taller than Grimlock, I think in dinosaur mode. He also spend a lot more time running around on all fours like some kind of freakshow giraffe with a jousting lance for a face. Kinda fun.

One thing I do dislike about the more organic IDW designs, is that Swoop doesn’t get to have the massive, Rocketeer-style turboboosters on his back; like Sludge, he feels a little under-powered and could use some added advantage to balance things out.

anyway, that’s my Ted Talk. I’d love to see the entire team in IDW style, but pricing out Cacus… I feel like a Planet X Sludge would be something you paid for in installments.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  12. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  13. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
  14. green_machine

green_machine No longer cares if Bandit gets announced.

I understand why people like the black hands but the red just gives him so much personality!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    dont know if this video has been posted but it looks awesome:

As long as it doesnt have ridiculous flaws, it looks like my figure of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. EpsilonEta

EpsilonEta Well-Known Member

Since we are discussing size I felt to join in as well.

I don't know who scaled them but here is a height chart with art by Nick Roche from the Maximum dinobots tradepaper.
    Dinobots1.jpg
    Based on this I'd say the smaller ones are basically Ironhide sized (as in, between Optimus and carbots) while Grimlock is basically Ultra Magnus (as in, one size larger then Optimus). Sludge would be the size of Overlord.

Then again, given how large they are compared to the Sunstreaker clones and the scraped fight between Overlord and Grimlock the other option is that the small ones are Optimus sized, Grimlock being Overlord sized and Sludge being even larger.
    When Grimlock fight Shockwave he's always crunched down but looks to be about two heads taller supporting the later option.

Personal I prefer them smaller and this Grimlock is just right for my masterpiece scale but you may even be more justified to put him among CHUG figures.

• Like Like x 11
  18. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

When someone tries to apply science to the dinobots, I can almost see a 1980s toy designer reaching through time and slapping them. Ironically, Sunbow's (and FOC's) take where they didn't actively scan a specific animal makes the most sense to why they're such hodgepodge approximations.

• Like Like x 7
  19. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    doubt i'll get this, but the only way I could see myself getting it is if either 1) they make the other Dinobots (we got burned when they didnt do the planned Victory Leo). or 2) they do RID Grimlock

20. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I need this glorious besterd so bad. Latest shots look so good.

• Like Like x 5