Planet X PX-04 Summanus (FOC Snarl)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 20, 2014.

1. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    Tail assembly. The pinned upright spikes were loose on some, tended to droop forward. Many had this issue. RK replaced that part for me with no hassle. There have been other issues with the tail..but can't remember what (?)

Doubt it's limited to just RK.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, I'm thinking of getting him from RK but if I have a genuine QC issue, will RK be helpful? I'm getting mixed signals on their customer service.

3. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I really want this guy but after seeing so many people with QC issues I kinda wait to wait for a second run, or has Planet X sent replacement parts to retailers?

4. Gutts

Gutts Autobot

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    Its a while back now, but I asked RK for several parts and they gave them to me without a problem. Also its interesting that the part with back plates which were loose behind his head in robomode were redesigned so this joint is stronger. Works great.

5. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 TFW's #1 Combaticon Addict 10 years running Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pretty sure retailers have the replacement parts already. He's definitely worth it. Though I may have to get some replacement parts from BBTS because mine has super loose pins in his tail assembly.

6. iamgnahk

iamgnahk Well-Known Member

After picking up my Summanus to play with last night, I noticed that his bot legs/hips have gotten pretty loose.

I've read that some quick fixes involve opening up his hip assembly and adding some friction to the ratchets. Any suggestions on how best to do this?

7. Gutts

Gutts Autobot

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    Or better yet how to make him better heels? He is hard to stand.

8. wildfly

News Credits:
    You mean the back and forth?

I stacked a few pieces of carefully trimmed zip tie in the back section behind the hip ratchet.

It removes the loosenees and give the ratchets something else to grip as well... cause the front ratchet tabs are on the small side.

Opening the hip section isn't particularly difficult... but take it slow with the screws, i suspect they're a little on the soft side.

And the factory installed ratchet tabs, at the front of the...errrm...crotch assembly..are tiny. You're better off making sure they don't fall out to start with.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. iamgnahk

Yea, the back and forth for the legs is very loose. You wouldn't be able to tell there's ratchets at all. Basically, the actual point where friction should be isn't there at all, so I should add some material in to force them together? Like shimming it up?

10. wildfly

News Credits:
    Exactly.

Some materials may break down more quickly, and provide less grip though. Zip ties were the best thing i could think of (?) Relatively thin, notched to grip.

You may be able to salvage part of a ratchet assembly from another toy instead.

The small size of the ratchets that are there, the hollowness at the back, makes me wonder if a part was left out.

11. iamgnahk

Gotcha, I'll take a shot at it tonight. Thank you very much.

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Guys, can you provide step by step instructions on how to tightened the legs? Would coating it with nail polish help? My bad as I'm a total noob on fixing stuff.

13. wildfly

News Credits:
    Edit: Nail polish won't work. The gap is too big.

Not gonna take photos, cause frankly positioning the extra 'ratchet' i installed was a pain, and i don't want to have to take it apart again.

1) Slowly remove the two screws at the back, below the waist swivel.

2) Separate the two parts

3) Make sure not to loose the small (tiny) grey ratchet pieces from the front part of the waist swivel assembly.

4)The back part is hollow.

5)Find something to put in the hollow part that the ratchets on the hips can press against. Rubber, Paper, things like that will probably wear down quickly.

14. NotTheFace

NotTheFace Lightning Strike

You just answered a question that I also had. Thanks!
    I think this guy looks really good, but some of the tolerances are just off. His ball jointed feet are really loose (even with three coats of future, they're still not as tight as I would like), I'll have to find time to apply your fix, the chest comes un-pegged really easily, and I need to sand down some of the pegs that lock the dino mode together. Looks-wise, he's probably my favorite Planet X dino, but Caelus is still the most well constructed (Neptune still has two left hands because Planet X hasn't sent my vendor the correct replacement part yet).

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply and I appreciate it! Looks like I'll follow the instructions when mine comes in! :) 

16. iamgnahk

Alright, so I did this and it's working reasonably well. I'm using a dense, cardboard-like paper temporarily. Gonna have to find some zipties.

17. Lo Streat

Lo Streat Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys do any if y'all have an extra spine set from the qc issue they may be able to part with

18. Jacer

News Credits:
    He came in yesterday and I'll have to admit, he turned out waaay better than I expected he would.
    [​IMG]

19. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    As long as this topic got bumped back up figured I'd ask this. How is the QC on the spines and legs for anyone who has purchased Summanus recently? I picked up one with the initial release and ended up having to return it due to the spine's breaking off and being extremely loose. So with Quirinus on the way I was thinking of picking Summanus up again if those issues have been fixed.

20. Jacer

News Credits:
    The leg ratchets aren't as tight as I would hope they'd be and the spines are a little loose.