Planet X PX-04 Summanus (FOC Snarl)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 20, 2014.

1. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PX-04 Sumanus(?)

2. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only complaint is PX's release speed. Though I appreciate they get it right, doesn't make the wait any easier (except for my wallet).

3. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm out of this set but man snarl looks great IMO. Might just pick him up

4. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah, this thing looks great. And it looks like his sword won't be as bad as Caelus'. I just wish his spikes were transparent.

5. Raika

Raika Well-Known Member

The bot mode looks great, but I can't help thinking alt mode has no ass.

6. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To early to tell if they will be or not with a proto type. If you feel strongly enough let them know. Others may hate you for it if they don't like the same thing, but who cares about them. (I honestly don't know either way)

7. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Whether the plates are transparent or not may come down to durability concerns. Transparent plastic is notoriously brittle. Personally, I was fine with Caelus' swords being painted. It would kind of suck if they weren't consistent with what they already put out.

More like a high ass, but it's true to the source art.

[​IMG]

And reality:

[​IMG]

8. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just putting the two next to each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Yep PX tends to be super loyal to the source materials. FTW IMHO. Once the colored product comes out, you won't even notice missing butts or what have you. Anyway. INSTANT BUY.

10. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

I don't care who hates me. Transparent plastic used in the right places will always make a figure look better. Caelus' sword looks like shit because it's painted, not transparent. It just doesn't work with FOC Grimlock's, and now it also doesn't work with this guys sword and Neptunes hammer. Caelus also stands out from having less transparent plastic in the chest while Grimlock has a lot.

And I doubt they'll make the spikes transparent because you can see they already put in transparent parts where they want them. They're in the sword and there's something transparent on his spikes in bot mode.

11. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks amazing. Hope the spines are clear red. Looking forward to this.

12. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Well, really, Swoop's FoC design is to blame for the chest, he's got pretty much no 'energon details', unlike like the others. The only prominent bits are his dino mode eyes and the little square dealy on the top of his dino head, which Caelus does have.

The swords I'm mixed on, I don't think they look bad, but they may have looked better with translucent plastic.

PX's Snarl though, is just amazingly spot on to the game design. Moreso than Swoop or [obviously] Sludge, I think. Very impressive. I would like the stego plates to be translucent red, but if they're not I can live with that one departure from the design.

13. ZeroBG82

ZeroBG82 Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is going to hate you.

Personally, I'm fine with it if they paint the spines. But yes, translucent red spines would totally rock.

14. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I worded it that way because I have seen some people who hate all translucent plastic, and I have a paranoid need to give those types of caveats when I think of them. I didn't think he would care (which he confirmed), but I couldn't help myself.

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Want asap

16. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I know they are usually good and close to the source materials but they did seem to miss the mark here a bit. I can see it mostly in the back plates and how his body is more level and straight then towering and haunched. I posted this in the other topic and I do agree he seems to be the least accurate (so far) of their dino's... (Don't get me wrong I still like him, but yeah there is a bigger discrepancy from source to figure here then the others...) :(  (I'm not so sure why no one else has mentioned this and why so many people are saying he is so spot on and so accurate and stuff? :confused:  Surely other people see these things? )

(Copied from other thread)

:drool:  I think he looks kick ass. My Girl seems upset about it though. Saying there are many differences and it doesn't look as good as the others do compared to accuracy. Like his back plates not being anywhere near as big/huge and how his proportions don't match up to the game model (or art of the game model). Or at least not compared to how well they got Swoop and Sludge so close...

I see her point about some things like the back plates... but I dunno.

I know angles and posing can do a lot to a figure. So hopefully we will see better pics. What stage would this be considered anyways? Prototype? Would they still make changes?

Well, either way I think he looks good. But I'm not the huge Snarl fan like she is... so if it doesn't look as good as the others (or as close to the source material) I can understand her being upset.

I guess maybe I'll be buying Snarl for me instead of her...

17. ZeroBG82

Honestly, Snarl is WAY more accurate than Sludge. About the only liberty they took with Snarl is the back plates, which are maybe (and I stress maybe) a little on the small side. Color and the angle of the pics could go a long way towards fixing that.

Sludge, while undeniably awesome, strays from the game design a fair bit in dino mode. Not a fault of PX, just a fault of the game not actually needing to transform correctly, which means they can fudge where details wind up or change the sizes of accent features arbitrarily. PX then had to find a happy medium to suggest the details in dino mode while not hampering bot mode. I think they did a great job, but if you compare it to the game design, it is noticeable.

18. Mewtwo

I think Snarl differs more then just the back plates. Granted they actually have to do a transforming robot so it's expected.

But look at the differences.

1) Back plates smaller and not as large.
    2) Body doesn't curve or have a hunch in it and seems more straight
    3) The part that is the dino's front body and ends up his robot legs is way too long in comparison to the photo of the game render/art, This also has the effect of making his dino legs to far apart compared to the art shot.

I'd say the biggest thing I notice besides the back plates is the length of the body. In the art/game he's hunched (the Red back part is over the grey sections a lot more and makes the dino body shorter in length and hunched) and the figure/toy is more straight out and the red looks like it's further back and not above the grey section enough making his body elongated and more "flat or straight".

Don't get me wrong. I think he looks good. And it's going to look even better when we get photos of the painted/molded in color version. But there are inaccuracies which seem to be quite noticeable and changes up the whole look of the figure. I just don't get why people are saying it's spot on.

Or perhaps this is just misstransformed and or an earlier proto and things can still be worked out or fixed. I don't know. I'm just saying by what we see now.

Again don't get me wrong. I'm pre-ordering this as soon as it goes up. I think he's great.

19. ZeroBG82

Nope, I really just think that's a function of the angle. His body shape looks spot on to me. Your third point, however, is a maybe. I can see where you're coming from, anyway. But if you look at the side view of PX's dino mode, the front legs appear to be on a hinge or a bar that should let them shift back a bit, reveal a bit more of the dino neck. Which would pretty much completely do away with that problem.

20. Mewtwo

I am still hoping so. I know angles and static posing can really make things look not right. So I'm hoping as we see more pics (Specially colored) we will see it looking closer.

But something else I just notice upon looking further into this. He looks more like the actual game model compared to that dynamically posed art of the game that people are using as a comparison. When you compare him to in game shots he actually looks closer. :D 

[​IMG]