Planet X Mors/FoC Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by SharkyMcShark, Nov 18, 2016.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Review in capsule form as I'm at work and photos are for suckers you know.

I've not played either FOC or WFC in ages so I can't really comment on accuracy to source.

Robot Mode
    The proportions are great, the colours are about what you'd expect, and it's quite a poseable figure. The feet are on ball joints now which makes posing a lot better, and aside from that it's got all your essential premium poseability - ball joint head, universal shoulders, bicep swivel, deep elbow joint, quite open wrist transformation, opneing hands, universal hips, swivel thighs, deep deep knees and ball joint ankles with two toes per foot. No waist swivel unfortunately.

It's quite stable in this mode. The only worry I've got is the rib pieces connecting to the backpack for stability. It doesn't feel the stablest of connections.

The only real issue I can muster aside from my worries for the rib connector is that the pauldrons can bang into the secondary winglets (the folded up rear stabiliser) on the back.

Vehicle Mode
    As fat as the Hasbro figure much longer, so it looks better. The shoulder pauldrons are the only part here that potentially sticks out.

You've got to begin untransforming the figure to get the landing gear out.

Transformation
    Aside from the backpack it's standard. The legs are almost literally the same as the Aerialbot Combiner Wars legs (calves split, thighs accordion in/out for transformation). The arms end up tucked up just behind the cockpit. With the limbs and chest there is a feeling of basically folding everything up and then making sure that all the bits that peg together line up.

The backpack has lots of flips and twists and needs to be done in precisely the right order due to the way that the parts overlap. I generally don't mind that kind of transformation but if you're not into that then be warned.

Build Quality
    On the plus side, nothing is loose.

On the negative side, a lot of the stuff is SUPER tight. Several of the joints squeak and I can see them becoming loose with time.

Out of the box the figure wasn't able to be transformed due to flash on several of the joints specifically on the backpack. I shaved them myself and was able to proceed, but this is something worth checking for if you're having troubles, instead of going for brute force. This has led to my hesitance in trying to open the cockpit. Pre release photos touted this feature, but I can't seem to get it open and I don't want to force it.

The figure feels a lot lighter and less solid than Vulcun (which is my only previous reference point for Planet X quality).

Accessories
    Two identical guns, a crown, and a mace. I'm assuming the guns are based off an in game weapon.

Overall I like it. I'm not as instantly enamoured with it as I was with Vulcun, and it doesn't seem as playable as that figure, but it's certainly worth getting for the ~75 USD I got it for.

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. Are you located in Hong Kong? Just wondering how you managed to get this for 75?

3. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Pre ordered from RK.

I live in Australia.

4. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. Was going to jump on this but going to hold out for a bit longer to see some video reviews.

5. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Late addition: the figure DOES have an individual waist swivel.

6. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Thanks for the written review :thumb 

Not to be "that guy", but I am a sucker. WHAR DA PICS?! :p  hehe

• Like Like x 1
  7. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Got around to a video review

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely liking this guy, I just wish I could afford him right now.

9. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got mine open and transformed from bot to jet and overall I'm feeling a little underwhelmed.

The Good:
    The figure looks great in both modes, no doubt about that. Planet X uses good quality plastic and has superb color application. The dull grey is broken up by really nice metallic red and hints of blue and purple and the whole thing just looks fantastic. Even the accessories look great and have a nice usage of either translucent plastic or great subtle paint detailing. The sculpting is also really nice on this figure with lots of details but not too many details. The face looks like an excellent rendition of the WFC / FOC character. His bot mode looks less portly and more athletic in this version versus the Has/Tak official figure and I am very pleased by that. I'm not exactly sure I'd call the jet mode an improvement over the Has/Tak toy but it certainly doesn't look any worse either. The extending wings are a nice touch and add some fun to the otherwise pretty static alt mode.

The not so good:
    I don't have a ton of experience with the figure yet but for me the bot mode coming out of the package did not feel very sturdy. I think there really needs to be some additional tabbing or something to hold the torso section together because it feels like as long as all the pieces are lined up right he's fine but because nothing locks together safe for 2 tabs between the chest and backpack the whole torso starts to destabilize as soon as you handle it wrong and this piece or that starts to shift; the whole thing feels a bit like a house of cards that just sorta crumbles into a puddle or robot parts. Granted I think I'd say the whole torso consists of 3 main sections so its easy to get right again but I found the experience a little frustrating, especially considering how tight all of the joints are (a good thing normally). Every time I moved arm or a leg the torso got shifty on me. Meh. Transformation was OK and not overly frustrating but here again felt a little bit wanting for more tabs and guidance about what goes where. It's mostly intuitive, especially if you have the official figure. The jet mode once complete holds together pretty well but getting there took a bit of patience as it was not always clear how parts should be arranged and they didn't always want to stay where I put them until a later step happened and locked things together better.

10. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

So on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you give Mors?

11. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh boy, lol, that's a lot of pressure....

For me I think I'd give it like a 6 or 7. It's an improvement on the Has/Tak figure visually but I really almost feel like the engineering is different but not really better so its tough for me to justify the higher price tag without really being floored by how good it is.

12. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

Got this guy last week. I agree with Depthcharge that there should have been more connection points for the chest in robot mode, but my figure actually holds up pretty well with no issues and does not fall apart. The cover for the head in alt mode could also use a locking mechanism as well.

My biggest gripe is that the weapons are plugged in on the underside of his arm. Hated that in the original figure and still dislike it here.

Overall, this is a very pretty figure. The red is amazing in person. I'd rate it a 7/10. I'll probably wait to see if Maketoys will release their voyager seekers before getting any possible future repaints though.

13. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Got it for Christmas :) 
    I have no issues with the connection between torso and backpack, two stiff tabs hold everything in place. I am actually worried about those two tabs breaking: excess force is required at some stages of the transformation, as many joints are stiff.

Robot mode
    Bigger but not necessarily better than FOC Starscream. Considering the price, I would just go for the Japanese release of FOC Starscream and forget about Mors, which adds some articulation with no great improvement to posing. The waist swivel is buried under the bulky torso and makes posing less fun than it could be.
    Head is soulless.
    This robot mode didn't need a third party upscaling if this is the result.
    8/10 (inheriting the good points from FOC Starscream)

Transformation
    Needlessly complicated, the traditional style of Planet X. I do not enjoy most transformations of Planet X figures, and Mors is no exception, with a plethora of panels which need to be arranged in pure origami style. Not fun, not what I except from a transformers figure. Mors is more of a panelmaster.
    Everything holds well together once you tab it all, excluding robot mode forearms which mainly stay tucked in place.
    6/10

Alt mode
    Flying space bus. An elongated brick with a couple of winglets thrown in to suggest it flies.
    Landing gear sucks and it's very tricky to fold out.
    I didn't try opening the cockpit, and it makes no sense to have an opening one for this incarnation anyway.
    Colors are good but that's the only saving grace.
    4/10

Accessories
    Weapons have a funny handle and are not that interesting. I couldn't care less for the purple mace, and the crown is useless for this incarnation (Megs comes back in FOC, while this SS is from WFC).
    6/10

Overall
    By far the least interesting toy released by Planet X, half a ripoff of FOC Starscream and half a misguided reconstruction of WFC Starscream's inferior videogame design. Stiff joints and loads of panels show Planet X usual lack of understanding of what makes a TF toy fun to transform.
    Mors goes full ****** in Alt Mode, but looks good in Robot Mode. And if this Robot Mode suits you, I recommend getting the Japanese release of FOC Starscream instead of Mors. Considering its price, Mors does not compare favourably against cheaper, more valuable alternatives.
    5/10

14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Wow I am surprised people don't like the transformation. When I first got the figure, I was a little bit meh myself, but I LOVE that transformation. Everything seems well thought out with enough tabs everywhere to hold things together. Beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder.

15. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I don't actually understand why you'd get it for Christmas if you were going to trash it.

16. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

first, I bought it for completism. I have all FOC/WFC TFs, and at this point only Planet X is keeping me busy.
    second, I had very different experiences with Planet X, so I couldn't say in advance whether I would have liked Mors or not. I think that Summanus is the worst PoS I ever bought, leagues behind Armada Side Swipe, and while Mors is much better I am not a huge fan.
    Third, I did not choose to have it for Christmas: that's just how September works for Planet X.
    So, I will buy any canonical repaints of Mors, but they will probably stay in storage, as the Japanese FOC Seekers offer superior value for me.

17. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YU