Planet Earth II

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Galvatross, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Everything's a front. Veteran

This looks incredible, as the first one was. The new footage looks great. I especially love the glowing fungi, the Komodo dragons fighting, the Indri leaping from tree-to-tree in the rainforest of Madagascar, the giraffe ramming the attacking lions, and the harvest mouse among other things. All of it is beautiful though.

This one looks like it will feature more wildlife from urban areas than the original based on the footage here.

I hope it's good.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Ohhhh nice. Absolutely love Planet Earth, it's my definitive documentary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

so excited

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    O_O

JMFC THAT CAMERA WORK.

Just like before, I look forward to the "Making Of..." episodes just as much as the show itself.

Fucking AMAZING.

<3 <3 <3 <3

5. Galvatross

6. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    that iguana clip is incredible. the way the snake just falls down the crack in the rocks in slow mo like a movie :lol 

it's like i'm the iguana and the snakes are my responsibilities

• Like Like x 2
  7. Galvatross

Yeah, that escape at the end there onto the lava flows is definitely a pleasant surprise. It was very dramatic in a natural way.

8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if it's a pygmy or not, but I'm pretty sure it was a three-toed sloth at least on "Hamilton's Pharmacopeia" recently. Can you tell the difference at a glance?

The Sloths That Could Cure Cancer: Bio-Prospecting in Panama - VICE News Specials - VICE Video

Oh, and that's on ViceLand if you have cable and it's QUICKLY becoming one of my favorite documentary shows. Pretty interesting stuff in that episode, especially regarding the green algae in its fur...which you can see in the swimming footage from "Planet Earth II" as well, btw.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Galvatross

I'm guessing that's a brown-throated three-toed sloth. The pygmies are similar but smaller and only found on one island off of Panama, where as seen in the video they live in the mangroves, although fortunately for the critically endangered species one study suggested they range more widely on their tiny island home than previously thought.

I did just learn this is not the first time a pygmy sloth has been filmed, but it's still cool nonetheless.

Thanks for the link by the way. And the cool thing about the algae is that it gives the sloths a form of camouflage.

What I'm curious to see is how the pygmy sloths poo in their mangrove habitat since in more terrestrial ecosystems sloths usually come down once a week and squat in between trees, although I guess sloths in flooded forests also have a similar predicaments when the Amazon floods seasonally,

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Those are the thoughts that keep me awake at night, too. Like, do the swimmers shit more than once a week due to heightened metabolic activity? Would they just just shit from a tree branch if they were unable to move because "bio-prospectors" were directly below and firing rope at them for over a week while instinct compelled to not move at all? Or would their metabolism slow enough to impact their colon for the purpose of camouflage? The mind reels.

Hopefully, this series can shed some light on these issues so we can finally get some sleep, lol.

XD

11. Galvatross

Hear hear! Hypothetically speaking I think it would be hilarious if sloths took the camouflage thing a step further and had leafy poo (Hey, sloths are folivores!) to make potential predators think it is just dead leaves falling from the trees and not sloths taking dumps. Of course, the importance of poop ecologically and behaviorally is something that could become an interesting thread in of itself.

Still, I hope we see it happen! You can poo it my slow-moving xenarthran friends!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Galvatross

There's some nice footage of two Draco lizards from Southeast Asia displaying over territory. I'm disappointed Attenborough did not say "fight or flight" since that would have rhymed!

Birds of paradise automatically make any nature program interesting! In the video above are two male red birds of paradise displaying. Those female red birds don't know how lucky they are to get courted by guys like that!

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm very excited about this. I watched Life and North America as they aired but I was too young to appreciate the original Planet Earth when it first came around. Would it be terribly difficult, I wonder, to find the British episodes to watch it before it debuts in America?

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Somehow, I'm not surprised it was hyenas, lol...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Galvatross

That video is absolutely adorable! Hyenas get a bad rap and not a lot of attention compared to canids and felids, but hyenas are incredibly adaptable and intelligent carnivores and opportunists. I look forward to seeing what role the brown hyenas play in Planet Earth II.

17. Galvatross

18. Galvatross

The first episode, "Islands," premiered tonight here in the US. I really loved it. One thing I really liked is how the show emphasized the challenges of island life and didn't just depict them as these idyllic paradises. You can actually see the challenges that chinstrap penguins, crabs on Christmas Island, Galapagos marine iguanas, sea birds in the Seychelles, and Verreaux's sifakas in the arid spiny forests of Madagascar face.

Also, those fights between male Komodo dragons were brutal. They may not be as fast as the most agile mammalian predators, but what they lack in agility they more than make up for in just pure toughness and brutality. They are straight up brawlers with sharp teeth, powerful necks and tails, and tough scaly hides.

I can't wait for "Mountains" next weekend.

19. Galvatross

Did anyone else catch tonight's episode? I thought it was the best one yet, and that's saying something. Great footage of desert animals both large and small, of lightning, and of harsh, arid landscapes and brief carpets of green after rains.

20. Galvatross

So am I the only person who has been watching this? Did anyone else watch the series, whether during the original BBC run in 2016 or the more recent BBC America run? If so, what did you guys think? What were the best parts of the series? The weakest?

While all parts were spectacular, I personally thought the best episode was "Deserts" and the second best episode "Islands." The former really nailed showing off how tough and adaptable living things have to be to survive in such hostile environments. It also really showed the harshness of desert landscapes and weather, and it also showed how life can take advantage of rains and water, whether it was billions of locusts in Madagascar, deserts becoming green in Peru after rains, or animals gathered around water holes in the pans of Namibia. The latter episode really showed how life on islands was not always idyllic, including introduced yellow crazy ants harming crabs on Christmas Island.