Pixar's "LIGHTYEAR"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That is cool! So maybe the Lightyear toy is named after an astronaut that hasn't come home yet.

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    The technology is this movie is a lot more advanced then that of Toy Story. Ontop of that, you can’t just make a toy and tv show about a real person without their permission.

3. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Jeez, this is confusing. I was going by what Chris Evan tweeted way back. Based on the tweet, I never thought the real astronaut was named Lightyear. So based on teaser and what someone screen grabbed I thought this is an astronaut maybe testing tech that allows him to travel a lightyear (or maybe by accident goes a lightyear) and joins a space ranger program.

But now I am reading this and he is Buzz Lightyear (perfect name for interstellar travel) the Space Ranger....

Lightyear director Angus MacLane explained it to Entertainment Weekly. “The movie doesn’t end and then you see Andy eating popcorn,” he said. “This is its own thing…This is standalone. It’s the Buzz Lightyear movie. It’s that character but as the space ranger, not as the toy.”

• Like Like x 1
  4. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

So at this point I'm just liking the not zaku henchmen-bots.....

Honestly I'm intrigued by the concept, I saw this in the morning and said to my wife "they are making a buzz lightyear movie?" The trailer is the first I've heard of this, but it has my attention

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What even is this movie? That looked like nothing. Just a bunch of generic sci-fi stuff alongside generic Pixar stuff. This feels like a cynical by-committee trailer if I've ever seen one, right down to the last shot being the only recognizable aspect of the character as if that sting of "hey look it's the suit he always wears" is enough to stir up the fans.

Also, Chris Evans? Why not Tim Allen or Patrick Warburton? Or anyone with a recognizable voice? Also, it makes me laugh that Pixar movies are so technically advanced yet they still can't animate walk cycles that look convincing. :lol 

In his little colourful space ranger suit fighting space alien robots.

Damn, have we really not learned anything over the years of tired, fraudulent reboots/prequels/sequels of "things you love minus the things you love?"

• Like Like x 4
  6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I guess that would give new meaning to "To Infinity and Beyond" in a literal sense.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Yeah I thought this was gonna be more “realistic” than this to be honest. But there’s aliens, legit space travel, etc. So I’m guessing this is an exaggerated version of the real Buzz Lightyear. Now granted, an animated film about an astronaut is probably not gonna be that much of a draw, so it did have to go Sci fi.

Not sure what to expect. It’s still a bit odd to see cartoonier faces with photorealistic everything else. But it’s not as bad as Good Dinosaur at the least.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Another Toy Story movie? I'll pass.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I am so on board for this it is not funny. Sci-fi action with that Pixar Midas Touch......yes, give me it all!

10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    This is a new spin on something I love, and it’s a spin that I love even more.

Watching some of you get butthurt because it’s not w 1:1 adaptation of the Space Rangers show like it’s some sort of sacrilege is hilarious, and this is coming from a kid in his 20’s who grew up watching that show.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    .... man, I just realized that the first time I experienced "No, I am your father" was with Zurg and not Vader.
    here's how I see it:

Lightyear is a sci-fi movie in the Toy Story universe starring Chris Evans, brings in big bucks at the box office
    Buzz Lightyear of Star Command is a cartoon in the TS universe created because kids liked the movie, so the studios decided to capitalize on it. since Evans was too busy for the show (or cost too much), Buzz is voiced by an unknown actor named Patrick Warburton
    the Buzz Lightyear toy is from the accompanying toyline for the show where they got another unknown actor named Tim Allen to voice the toys because the toy company didn't want to pay for Evans or Warburton.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's because Star Command was awesome, and is unjustly forgotten.
    I just never cared for grounded "slice of life" settings and shows, frankly. Animation is best used to represent stuff not possible to do (or hard to do) with live action. That's why even as a kid, shows like Hey Arnold or Doug or Denver bored me to tears and it was a chore to sit through them to get to the good stuff like Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Transformers, Inspector Gadget, M.A.S.K., TMNT, etc.
    I get it that some of you like this stuff, but to me, Pixar has been on a downwards spiral for years now. About the only thing they did of late I enjoyed was Monsters at Work.

Ah thanks. I did not notice the Z, and the robots looked so different I thought they were just bulky space suits.
    What you say about Disney just further cements my hatred for modern day Disney. They do the same with Gargoyles too. I mean imagine what they could do with that franchise given the CGI they have at their disposition. Just re-hire Greg Weisman and shower him with money! But nope, they cannot even release the show properly on physical media to this day... :( 

Yeah, the Star Command they show here easily has tech that's roughly Archer era Star Trek stuff... I mean they seem to be testing this universe's equivalent of warp tech here.

As that scene takes place on the Star Command base with Buzz still in his first uniform, my guess would rather be it is some planet experiment that got out of hand.

Given that IN UNIVERSE, as in the Toy Story universe, that show exists as a show within a show - it even has video games and everything - and Buzz is a toy released as a character from that show... It makes no sense to suddenly undercut all that and say Buzz Lightyear was a real life astronaut who apparently, inspired a cartoon and a toyline?
    I always assumed that Toy Story takes place in pretty much the same universe as ours, and obviously Buzz Lightyear's name was based on Buzz Aldrin's, he was just a fictional character created for a cartoon.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wait, Tim Allen isn't even voicing Buzz this time around???? Well that's crap!

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Maybe this is a movie Andy is watching.

He grew up watching the Star Command cartoon and playing with the toy, and this is the later live action film that his version of Hollywood made.

And then later he’ll log on and see discussions like this. But instead of criticizing Disney he’ll credit them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Trailer looked good. CGI is top notch.

Its odd seeing what I'm assuming is Buzz Lightyear, or at least what the toy version character is based off, look closer to a real person.

The sun gravity assist was cool. As was the crystalic fusion nod.

I havnt seen anything other than the 4 Toy Story movies, so i do 't know any of Buzzes backstory, but I'll watch this for sure.

16. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Who cares? They replaced him in the Star command cartoon with Patrick Warburton, and they just had as Buzz in Toy Story 4, it's not like he's been completely abandoned, also it's Tim Allen in the present day, I repeat. Who cares about Tim Allen?

17. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love Tim Allen. I watched so much Tim Allen stuff as a kid it's a little unreal. But if the premise of the movie is "Buzz Lightyear, but as a real person," then a better and more subtle actor is definitely needed.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I care about him. He's been voicing Buzz for so long I won't accept anyone else. Had no idea there was a cartoon on him either, but Warburton is most definitely not who I think of when I hear Buzz. Warburton is suited for Lemony Snickett and Race Bannon, not Buzz Lightyear. :lol 

19. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:

Well he was.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I loved literally everything in that trailer.

• Like Like x 1