Pitch me a sequel to Transformers The Movie 1986

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ScientistSkids, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

I have, for years, tried to write a sequel to Transformers The Movie 1986. I've written other things, but I've always wanted that to be my Romanov Star, my Magnum Opus, but no luck yet (it's actually really hard to write a script as chock full of great one-liners as TFTM86 is).

I've had so, so many ideas. Some involved prequels - essentially adapting the Megatron prequel comic. One involved wiping out everything except Five Faces of Darkness - that was my most recent one, and adapting the UK story where Rodimus and Galvatron fight on an active volcano. Others ideas were a "Matrix Quest" story with Nightbeat and Powermaster Prime, and yet others involved essentially overwriting Rebirth with a more Headmasters Japan style origin for binary bonded Transformers.

But I'm curious what some other ideas for this would be.

Some rules I try to follow include

-Imagining what toys Hasbro would've been telling me to sell
    -Trying to imagine what kind of movie would've been made amidst Season 3
    -How to deal with Optimus Prime in the script, and make up for the backlash of the first film.

2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I’ve long imagined a sequel that would ignore the return of Optimus prime and the rebirth , the sequel would then cover the introduction of the “masters” a the rebirth of Optimus prime as a powermaster

• Like Like x 1
  3. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In stock

News Credits:
    They rebuild and (pick one or you choose) GI Joe, Go-Bots, Vehicle Voltron, or MASK gets in the mix somehow. :D 

4. ScientistSkids

Yes - that does seem likely.

5. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    The rebuilding of Cybertron and the new golden age.

6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

My first instinct is also to say it should be Transformers 2: Headmasters, but I wouldn't want it to be an alternate timeline branch. It can be what happens several years later.

Here's a start:
    Spike is thinking of retiring from being a Headmaster, and Daniel (now an adult) continues to be bonded with Arcee. With the Decepticons seemingly gone, Spike travels back to Earth aboard Sky Lynx along with some other Autobots and they introduce Galen to be bonded with Cerebros, not expecting to need Fort Max's defensive arsenal again on Nebulos. Cons (who've been getting reports through secret agent Doubledealer) come out of hiding to launch a surprise attack on Sky Lynx and then a full scale assault Nebulos.
    Not sure on which characters to introduce other than Powermasters/Godmasters and new HMs and TMs or who to kill off, but consider maybe Spike doesn't survive that ambush. Optimus will get the Powermaster upgrade during the movie.

7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'm thinking a mid-quel set between TF:TM and Wanted: Galvatron. Scourge and Cyclonus are the interim leaders in Galvatron's absence, and as Shockwave challenges this the Decepticons split and have a brief civil war. Perhaps more details about the inner-Decepticon heirarchy and shadowy Decepticon High Council could be elucidated upon as well.

On the Autobot side of things Rodimus Prime is acclimating to life in high command, rebuilding both Autobot City and human diplomatic relations. Intelligence comes in of the rift in Decepticon leadership and Rodimus uses this to score a tangible win, rallying the Autobot army and proving himself to Earth, but in the process also unifying the Decepticons once more. It ends with Shockwave as leader leaving the two heralds very sour, as per Headhunt, and Rodimus beginning to wonder where exactly Gavatron was during all this...

As for selling toys, there're fewer main cast members but also a greater focus on big battle sequences, thus the many new teams that didn't appear in The Movie would get a chance to shine here. Also, this being Marvel canon, Metroplex would be mentioned as the core of Autobot City, if not shown directly.

8. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

My fascination with Transformers is a lot around possible events that happened during and around the time of the movie, as @Primeultra and some others are aware.

Specifically, regarding a sequel to the 1986 movie, I would have a sequel directly after the ending of the 1986 movie (could be 2005 the Aftermath). This is would be essentially the Decepticons losing not only Cybertron but also their empire/fuel sources through successful Autobot clean-up operations', think the line from Cyclonus 'Once Decepticons NEARLY held the quadrant through terror'.

You could have Punch/Counterpunch acting as a double spy giving valuable information to the Autobots, you could have Devcon (from the Gambler) assisting the Autobots. You would have a Decepticon leadership struggle, maybe Soundwave could become the leader for a small amount of time, but Soundwave proves that he is not Superior. You could also have Autobots who survived the 1986 movie but losing their lives in these cleanup operations (for example what happened to Skids). The Constructicons may for a short time help hold a planet for the Decepticons but Omega Supreme travels to that planet because Omega has exhausted a lot of fuel Devastator can have a decent fight with Omega but the Autobots still win.

After the Decepticons leave Cybertron, you could have Autobots raiding the Decepticon undersea base (maybe banishing from Earth any Decepticons that were still on Earth). Also, the Autobots on Cybertron freeing detained Autobots (like how the Renegade / Combaticons were freed) giving background stories to the likes of Broadside, and maybe the destruction of the Decepticon Headquarters and Space Bridge. The Autobots, however, could better research the Decepticon space-bridge technology to held build warp gates around Cybertron and Earth.

You could a bit touching on the beginning of the Earth Defence Command

Ideally, this sequel would be made in conjunction with a prequel to the 1986 movie, have the 1986 movie touched so that there is clearer consistency with background characters (think Starscream's Coronation, Shockwave last stand (where is Decepticons scramble, and previous unseen (and not seen again) Deceptions. Also, Five Faces of Darkness could be touched up so that issues regarding the Constructicons looking like they built Megatron being resolved.

With the consistency of background or generic characters being resolved, you could give proper identities and lines to previously generic characters and these identities could be sold as proper Transformers (such as these ones standing next to Octane and Soundwave).

What should these characters be called?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

Fool. Galactic peace would never sell.

10. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    But whose buyin?

11. ScientistSkids

You never know.

I've always thought this was a good idea for a DTV or streaming. They're rebooting the heck out of everything these days. They're about to bring X-Men TAS back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

Of course the children. The movie critics would bomb it like KOTM because their critics, and we'd take it but most likely be consumed by Ĝ̞͎̝̣̲̮̮̣̼̼̠̼̯̗̜̮͙ͩ̉ͧ̆ͦ̒͜͟Ē̋̾ͦ҉̸̢̛͎̻̱̱̻̰̹̩͚͍̩̩͚̬͙͠Ë͒̏̅ͭͫ͐̄̌̽͏͙̮͕̦͎̭̜̖̼͟͟W̜̝͎̥̼̳̆ͧ̀̉̍͐̄ͪ͛͂̓̔͌̿̀͐̎ͪͥ̕͠͡ͅU̵͓̗̼̱̪͈̦͖̞̺̥̯͎̮̩͚̻̘͆̈̇͒͗̑͆̀͋͠N̴̸͔̬͓̭̬̖͈̹̟̬̺̘͎̺̭͕̞̅͂ͩͨ̿͋̆̃͠ͅ ͐ͣͭ̑͐́͛͢͡͝҉͕͓̼̫̺͔P̵̧̭̺̪̖̤͙̞̤̰̯͈̝͔͔̃̉̉͑̂̓ͥ̋ͬͧͧ͗̇̔͒͋ͥͫ̕͝͠Ų̛̼̘͉͓̖͕̙͕̝̪̹͉́̎̔ͪ̊̋ͭ̌ͮ͒͂ͪ̌͌͋ͬ̄ͯ͘͝ͅR̴̵̭̲͓͙̦̮̫̘̼͌ͦ͑̄̿̂̅ͨ̔̚͡I̫̝͇̦̼̻̺͕̟̯̭͖̩͔͗̌̆̏̄ͯ̔̐ͣ́ͅT̨̡̩̟̯͔̭͌̋̃̽̉̚͟Y̵͋̎̽̆̍͌̐ͥ͗̔̈́̃̀̀͏͇͚̳̲͙̘͓̫̫͇̺

13. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I imagine it would contain a lot of elements from "5 faces of darkness". a team of autobots, S1-2 survivors, end up on chaar, which is like a mad max world, and stuck in the middle of a power struggle between galvatron/unicron troops and the original ones, led by straxxus. there would also be rodimus leading cleaning up on cybertron. all these events would also be manipulated by the quintessons, with the attack on cybertron and truth of the transformer origins as the big reveal at the end. ill come up with a more detailed version of this idea when im not sneaking onto the internet at work lol

14. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime You shall not pass!

News Credits:
    Call it Transformers: Eulogy. It ignores the Rebirth and parts of The Movie (Megatron isn't changed), and is set in 2027.

Unicron is returned through unknown means, steadily heading towards Cybertron and Earth. Optimus goes missing, and the Decepticons begin to die off. After a while of fighting and normal G1 squabbles, Kup discovers that Megatron's spark is possessing Optimus. This "Nemesis Prime" picks up the shattered pieces of the Decepticons, and mounts an enormous attack on the Autobots, killing about half of their forces. In the end, Goldbug sacrifices himself to divert Nemesis/Megatron's attention while Ultra Magnus steals the Matrix, and becomes Magnus Prime (he basically just looks like himself without armor). Magnus then proceeds to beat Megatron out of Optimus. All of this comes to a head when Unicron arrives. The Autobots, along with the rest of the Decepticons, escape Earth before Unicron devours it. The Chaos Bringer comes to Cybertron, and is only defeated by Primus, who awakens and bestows a second Matrix upon Optimus. Optimus kills Unicron with this Secondary Matrix, and the Decepticons surrender. Optimus, feeling unworthy and significantly less powerful, takes command of the Wreckers (Springer died), and Magnus takes command of the Autobots, finally feeling worthy about himself. The two factions begin to try to live in peace on Cybertron. Meanwhile, in the wreckage of Earth, a single form that had been buried in the mantle awakens.
    The Fallen sets his sights on Cybertron, and the screen fades to black.

• Like Like x 1